Ques about clarifying/volumizing shampoo and non crunchy gel...

pshukla4pshukla4 Registered Users Posts: 37
hi curlies!
my hair is 2C and heavy; so my curls/waves get weighed down easily.
i'm using a sulfate free shampoo (l'oreal eversleek)- is there a low sulfate or no sulfate shampoo that helps clarify hair or volumize it? i feel like my hair is being weighed down.

for styling i use aveda confixor and curl enchancing lotion... i like them but confixor dries crunchy in my hair and i can't scrunch it all out. i like the hold as my waves need that...are there any gels that provide the hold without the crunch? is that asking for too much? :)

thanks everyone!

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Do you use a leave in conditioner? Sometimes that can help keep gel from getting too crunchy.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    I highly recommend the Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel. The FHG gets hard while it's drying, so it holds your curls in place until they are set, but once you SOTC it is so soft you feel like you don't have any product in your hair.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    The Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer has a cone in it. That could be building up and weighing you down. I have been experimenting with it, so I make sure I low-poo at least a couple times a week. My favorite low-poo is Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo (GTTT). Be sure to check the ingredient list - some bottles (not sure if it's a new formula or an old one) have Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate in them. That is a harsh sulfate that most try to avoid.

I really like Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Style Gel. It gives me great hold yet soft curls. I also like CJ Curl Queen. It doesn't have as strong a hold, but it leaves my hair soft and shiny.

HTH!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes my hair feels producty or gunky so I resort to a sulfate shampoo, Herbal Essences Degunkify. It isn't particularly gentle but gets the job done!

I second the leave-in idea. I also like using CJ Curl Queen which doesn't leave me too crunchy.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Sbudsky wrote: »
    I highly recommend the Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel. The FHG gets hard while it's drying, so it holds your curls in place until they are set, but once you SOTC it is so soft you feel like you don't have any product in your hair.

+1!

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file