Anyone add protein to their flax seed gel?

EmbreEmbre Registered Users Posts: 58
I have pretty good luck with flax seed gel, but would like to try adding protein to the mix because I have fine hair that needs the added strength. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on adding protein to my gel.

Can anyone advise me on how to accomplish the addition of protein to the mix? If you have any other additive idea's they would be appreciated as well.

Currently I add a little jojoba and aragon oil, as well as a little honey. I have tried coconut oil but found it to be a little to heavy for my hair. Additionally I have tried cooking the flax seed up with orange in the mix, and it didn't do much for me either. (Note: none of the additives above were thought or intended to add protein)

TIA
Shannon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since Oct 2010
3a, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Most frequently used cleansing/conditioning products:
  • BioInfusion Cond. Balm
  • Shea Moisture Restorative Cond.
  • V05 Cond.(moisture milks)
Most frequently used styling products:
  • Shea Moisture Curl Enhansing Smoothy
  • Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • Shea Moisture Curling Souflee
  • Curl Keeper
  • Design Essentials Naturals Moisturizing Lotion
  • AG:Recoil
  • CJ CCCL
HG: None as of yet :-(

Comments

• OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Curl Connoisseur
    bump

I'm also looking how to add protein to my current commercial hair gel (Curly Hair Solutions gel).
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    I bought a small bottle (a few ounces?) of silk protein from lotioncrafters.com. I think they might have some other forms of protein also. The site is where I got all my add-ins for FSG except agave nectar.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • missbanjomissbanjo Registered Users Posts: 3,088 Curl Neophyte
    If you have a Sally's they have Colorful Products - Colorful Neutral Protein Filler 4 oz..
    I got the 4oz bottle (found out about it from IAgirl) and started testing it by adding to my conditioner. I haven't added it to FSG yet but it's in the plan. :toothy4:
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • CeriCeri Registered Users Posts: 142
    I like to add hydrolyzed oat protein to mine at 2% of the formula.
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • La TanitaLa Tanita Registered Users Posts: 15 Curl Neophyte
    Coconut milk? Lecithin? Powdered egg?
    This are the only natural things I can think of...
  • rolltidegalrolltidegal Registered Users Posts: 307
    Someone was talking about adding protein powder (like the kind you make smoothies with) to a protein treatment. She said that it worked well and mentioned that it thickened up the mixture a little, which FSG can surely use. I'd say it's probably worth a shot, if you're interested. I'd try it, but I'm not sure my hair would welcome that much protein.
    Roll Tide!
    I was at the 2009 and 2011 BCS National Championship Games :)

Medium-coarse, super high density, normal porosity, low elasticity.
    I'm currently trying out various Curl Junkie and Devacurl products.

Fotki: fotki.com/rolltidegal
    password is 'rolltide'
  • CeriCeri Registered Users Posts: 142
    Someone was talking about adding protein powder (like the kind you make smoothies with) to a protein treatment. She said that it worked well and mentioned that it thickened up the mixture a little, which FSG can surely use. I'd say it's probably worth a shot, if you're interested. I'd try it, but I'm not sure my hair would welcome that much protein.

I'm the one who suggested using the protein powder in a protein treatment. It works great if you mix it up and use it right then, but I would NOT suggest using it in FSG. Thats just asking for mold in your bottle. Yuck!
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • abstractcurlsabstractcurls Registered Users Posts: 380
    There are a lot of places to buy protien. Texas natural supply have Oat and Silk. I'll list some more later but I'm going to try Oat at some point in my FSG.
  • OnlyNowOnlyNow Registered Users Posts: 54
    Embre wrote: »
    I have pretty good luck with flax seed gel, but would like to try adding protein to the mix because I have fine hair that needs the added strength. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on adding protein to my gel.

Can anyone advise me on how to accomplish the addition of protein to the mix? If you have any other additive idea's they would be appreciated as well.
    TIA

Panthenol is supposed to smooth and thicken hair, soothe the scalp, and help w/ frizzies. I've heard some people claim it acts like silicone on their hair, but since it rinses off and you can add oils & moisturizers to your hair before you put on the gel w/ panthenol, I can't see how it would be a problem. You can get it from makingcosmetics.com. They call it "Provitamin B5". If my hair weren't on the coarser side of medium, I'd use it in a heartbeat. As it is, I'm trying to soften my hairs, not strengthen them. I still may add a drop or two to my FSG if I find I need more frizz protection than that gives alone.
    Problem hair: No longer too porous (yay!). 2c/3a w/ lots of natural kinkiness (natural crimping) so resistant to forming defined curls, med. texture, but thinning since Sept. 2011 due to autoimmune illness.
  • greeneyes2greeneyes2 Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
    +1 for the Protein Filler that you buy at Sally's. Add it to conditioner, FSG, & even use as a protein spray. Love it!
    2B/2C Color treated
    Favorite products: Tresseme Undone Cond, GVP Cond, As I Am Leave-In, FSG, LA Looks gel, SM Deep Cond.
  • EmbreEmbre Registered Users Posts: 58
    Wow...thanks for the info. I hadn't checked this post for a while because I hadn't recieved any responses when I posted it, glad I took a look again.

I will have to try these suggestions, starting with the product from Sally's, since it is most convenient. Can anyone give me an idea of how much to use in the gel. Usually I make a batch with 2 or 3 cups water to flax seed. I am not looking to infuse it with a lot of protein, just enough to add a little strength to my fine curls.

Thanks again
    Shannon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since Oct 2010
    3a, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Most frequently used cleansing/conditioning products:
    • BioInfusion Cond. Balm
    • Shea Moisture Restorative Cond.
    • V05 Cond.(moisture milks)
    Most frequently used styling products:
    • Shea Moisture Curl Enhansing Smoothy
    • Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk