Still devastated over the loss of my dog

texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
It's been over seven weeks and I don't feel like I'm healing at all. I've been working a lot more than usual in an effort to distract myself, but it doesn't seem to help. I still think about her constantly. When I home it seems so quiet and lonely and I just don't know what to do with myself.

Another frustration is that my sister and my mom keep telling me I should get a puppy even though I've told them numerous times that I'm not ready.

Not a question really, just a vent...

Comments

• Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    I'm sorry TexasCurly. I still get teary thinking about pets I lost many years ago. It's hard to lose someone you love, even if that someone isn't human.
  • guinnessguinness Posts: 351Registered Users
    This seems normal to me, although I'm sorry you're feeling sad. It gets a little easier, but I think you always have a part of you missing when you lose a pet. Sorry about your mom and sister, that's not very helpful. It was close to a year before I could consider a new dog.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Unfortunately, we humans pay a pretty high price for loving a species of animal that doesn't live as long as we do. It's so sad to lose a pet, but I feel the old cliche holds true for pets as well as humans...it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I wish you peace.

And I do agree that getting a new dog often helps with the pain of loss...when you're ready, of course.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I lost my Annie on March 1. She would have been 15 years old yesterday so I can relate to how you feel.

Dogs don't live long enough. It seems a strange design for man's best friend to have such a comparatively short life span.

I wish you the best and hope you find that each day gets a little easier. The emptiness you feel will slowly be replaced with sweet, fun memories of the joy she brought to your life and you will be ready to share that love with another dog.

(((hug)))

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Awww, I am so sorry to hear that. Losing our furry companions is so heartbreaking, and so it makes sense you are still mourning the loss.

I hope that your pain eases soon. ((((hugs)))
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    It's so hard to lose a pet that was such a great friend!

The dog I grew-up with died about four years ago. I was devastated. I kept saying, "I watched my father die when I was a kid...WHY DO I CARE SO MUCH ABOUT A DOG?"

But they're members of the family, they are faithful friends, they love you unconditionally. It's so hard watching them get older and to start to physically deteriorate. I knew my little friend was in a happier place and able to run around again.

It will get easier, but it's okay to be so sad! It really is.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so sorry TexasCurly. I have seen people grieve so horribly over the loss of their pets and my heart goes out to you. Seven weeks is not a long time at all when you have experienced such a loss. It's completely understandable that you are still suffering (((HUGS))).

I wish you peace and healing. Don't hesitate to post again if it helps you. Many here understand.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i'm so sorry for you. i have no wise words to say. i know you must be hurting so badly. hugs!!!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can totally relate to your situation and I feel for you, truly. Seven weeks is not long at all so you need to give yourself more time. My ILs kept telling me to get another dog and even called when a stray showed up at their house, insisting I would love it and should come get it. I was not ready, we were not ready for over a year.

You will know when you are ready, but until then ppl should be more understanding. ((HUGS))
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have any wisdom to add--just more sympathy. :hug:
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    It's always taken me at least 6 months to consider getting another pet, sometimes longer. Grieving is not a quick process - it takes as long as it takes.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Like others have said, 7 weeks is not long at all. Grieving has no timetable. I'm sure those that suggest a new puppy mean well but they need to back off a little and let you decide when the time is right. (((hugs)))
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file