Your wash day routine: tips please.

JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
so, when it comes time to wash your hair how do you

1. Minimize breakage that comes from manipulation, combing, etc.?

2. Speed the whole process up so that it doesn't take all day?

See, what had happened was...I am tired of spending 3+ hours just to wash my hair. Lol!

I started washing my hair in twists last fall but that seemed to work best if the twists had been in for a while otherwise they unravel which retangles my hair. So about a month ago I started detangling before washing using suave condish, spray bottle of water and tangle teezer. Works fine, but I have to put clips on the ends to keep them from unraveling and I suspect all the clipping, unclipping, reclipping, combing, brushing, twisting and untwisting is breaking my ends. And on top of that annoyance, I have to rinse my hair 4 times to get all the shampoo or whatever out. Grr!!! It seems like residue and debris from prepoos/treatments and cleansers get stuck in the twists so it takes all year to rinse it out. And my last gripe (for now) is that no matter how gentle/careful I try to be I end up yanking hairs out at the root whever I do any kind of handling. That ish hurts lol.
Any input is much appreciated. :)

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
:tongue:

Comments

• kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I wash my hair in sections. Here is what a sample wash day looks like.

Night before wash: Divide hair into three parts. Prepare pre-poo of HEHH, olive oil and grapeseed oil. Apply to each section. Secure the ends with bobby pins. I don't twist the sections. I wrap them-kinda like a twirl motion- and then secure them.

Wash Day: Rinse pre-poo from hair, one section at a time and then shampoo and condition each section. I make sure to detangle whilst my hair is saturated with conditioner. I then secure each washed section with a bobby pin. This is the same process (twirling that I did the night before). I used to twist my hair and this point but all the retwisting between conditioning and leave in con was too much. So I only twist at the end after I have applied the L/I.

If I am only doing a co-wash, I skip the pre-poo but still wash in sections.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Fascinating...

All this darn twisting is getting on my nerves. Lol maybe I'm just lazy...

4a/b cottony/spongy

• g donyag donya Posts: 41Registered Users
    have you tried to braiding your hair instead of twisting?
    g donya wrote: »
    have you tried to braiding your hair instead of twisting?

Yeah..braiding causes my hair to knot up but I might give it another try
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I prepoo with whatevers around, an oil and conditioner/deep conditioner, then go do something so it softens up during that time. Then after that section my hair into four sections with ponytail holders.

Wash one section at a time and when im done with that section , put the ponytail holder back on and go on to the next.

Its been working for awhile now.
    I prepoo with whatevers around, an oil and conditioner/deep conditioner, then go do something so it softens up during that time. Then after that section my hair into four sections with ponytail holders.

Wash one section at a time and when im done with that section , put the ponytail holder back on and go on to the next.

Sounds fun. I'd have to do at least 8 sections and use something else besides ponytail holders. They rip my hair out...hmmm...
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^This is basically what I do, except I use clips instead of ponytail holders (when my hair gets bigger I'm going to have to use holders though - I just popped a clip last week). The entire wash process - styling (rinse, wash, condition, detangle, leave-in condish, styling in sections) takes me under an hour.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ^^This is basically what I do, except I use clips instead of ponytail holders (when my hair gets bigger I'm going to have to use holders though - I just popped a clip last week). The entire wash process - styling (rinse, wash, condition, detangle, leave-in condish, styling in sections) takes me under an hour.

:( you suck. I wish I could do all that in an hour. Jealous at the moment...
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    ponytail holders= goody stretchy headbands

I get them at the dollar store love them thing!
    Maybe I'll just not twist and section only. That way hopefully I won't have ayurvedic debris in my hair after 34 rinses. And maybe it won't take forever and three years just to do my hair. Smh

4a/b cottony/spongy

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte

The twists are probably what are taking you so long. Also, I've pretty much quit doing clay and ayurvedic treatments (sad) because of the rinsing...I would think I was done and get out of the shower, then part my hair and my scalp would be covered in pink. I can't. I'm lazy.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte

+1 but ponytail holders tangle so I use large jaw clips.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

The twists are probably what are taking you so long. Also, I've pretty much quit doing clay and ayurvedic treatments (sad) because of the rinsing...I would think I was done and get out of the shower, then part my hair and my scalp would be covered in pink. I can't. I'm lazy.

That's also why I stopped doing them but wanted to try my powders with the rhassoul clay. Ugh. I made a big batch so after I'm done with it I might just leave it alone and stick to making ayurvedic teas. My face likes the rhassoul better anyway.
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users

See, what had happened was...I am tired of spending 3+ hours just to wash my hair. Lol!

I started washing my hair in twists last fall but that seemed to work best if the twists had been in for a while otherwise they unravel which retangles my hair. So about a month ago I started detangling before washing using suave condish, spray bottle of water and tangle teezer. Works fine, but I have to put clips on the ends to keep them from unraveling and I suspect all the clipping, unclipping, reclipping, combing, brushing, twisting and untwisting is breaking my ends. And on top of that annoyance, I have to rinse my hair 4 times to get all the shampoo or whatever out. Grr!!! It seems like residue and debris from prepoos/treatments and cleansers get stuck in the twists so it takes all year to rinse it out. And my last gripe (for now) is that no matter how gentle/careful I try to be I end up yanking hairs out at the root whever I do any kind of handling. That ish hurts lol.

Maybe you need a clarifying shampoo.

Suave conditioners don't have enough slip for my hair, maybe if you add some oil it would work a little better.

Finger detangling has saved me so much hair but I still use a wide tooth comb, but not alot.

It would take me all day but know I detangle one day and twist it up the next day.

Good Luck!
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shampoo , condition and detangle in sections , braid them up to stop further tangling and rinse .... takes me 30 mins . Largely cos I have to braid and I don't prepoo

To reduce breakage..... don't know. But if you do clay treatments I think it is normal to spend more time because of the residue they leave behind

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte

That's pretty much what I do except I twist each section (not use ponytail holders).
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    I also got sick of wash days taking up the whole day, so I too have cut henna and ayurvedic treatments down to once a month or less.

I recently modified my routine and so far so good. Because I don't want to skip out on DC's I DC on dry hair as a pre-poo. I put this on my hair the night before, lightly detangle with my fingers, braid loosely in 4 sections and cover with a plastic cap then go to sleep (the prep takes about 15 mins). I find my hair benefits more from this than if I DC wet, but the major con is it uses much more conditioner.

In the morning I shampoo in 4 sections (hold them with a ponytail holder) detangle with my tangle teezer and loads of conditioner which I leave in, and then style. This rarely takes me more than an hour now, unless I am doing mini twists. (It used to take me at least 2.5 to 3 hours to wash, DC and do fat twists)
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't prepoo regularly, and I don't wash sections. But when I detangle I get OUT of the shower so I can do it in the mirror instead of having to guess going by what I can FEEL. That helps me go faster. I either use a conditioner with at least equal parts oil or half oil to make it VERY slippery (heated oil is even more slippery) or I use a conditioner with a cone in it.

For me, the lack of slip was what cause the time issue. I thought the conditioners I was using at first were good enough, but then I added olive oil, or grapeseed oil, even canola oil and it made a HUGE difference and realized I could have been getting my hair done in MUCH less time. And well, cones, yeah we all know they have slip, though all of us may not like to use them :)

Using my fingers first, THEN grabbing a comb or brush has led to faster detangling as well.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I read posts like these and think "What are you doing for hours?"

It takes me 30 minutes to wash myself and the hair (includes conditioning without the deep treatment). Then it takes me exactly an hour to twist my hair . Then I'm good for 5 days.

I feel for y'all that spend hours and hours on hair. I have no stamina for that.

I use a Denman and it detangles my hair in 10 minutes. Love my Denman.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    My hair is super thick so sectioning is mandatory otherwise I wouldn't be able to get to my scalp. :(

4a/b cottony/spongy

• lashawnblashawnb Posts: 111Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, I gots to say...this newbie is getting good tips here!

My hair is only about 4.5-5 inches stretched so I'm not yet sectioning for washes/cowashes. I do section for pre-pooing and DCs.

Not to sidetrack the thread, at what length would you all say it was inevitable for you to wash/cowash in sections?

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    :wave: hi. i'm a product junkie! so many products, so little time...
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    last full relaxer: 6/10/10 big chop: 11/25/10
    2011 Goal: SL (stretched) = Curly :afro:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    taken 3/30/11
    lashawnb wrote: »

My hair is only about 4.5-5 inches stretched so I'm not yet sectioning for washes/cowashes. I do section for pre-pooing and DCs.

Not to sidetrack the thread, at what length would you all say it was inevitable for you to wash/cowash in sections?

APL stretched...
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I started at shoulder. I thought "I am not having this ****" and started doing it in sections. It was one of the best things I did for my hair. I don't think there is an inveitable length, but it just felt like the best decision for me at the time.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    kayb wrote: »
    I started at shoulder. I thought "I am not having this ****" and started doing it in sections. It was one of the best things I did for my hair. I don't think there is an inveitable length, but it just felt like the best decision for me at the time.

I should've started sectioning earlier but I'm lazy. And in denial about how much hair I have...woe is me.
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• FeverPitch_TrishFeverPitch_Trish Posts: 80Registered Users

Well, I have fine hair (you were blessed :icon_smile:) but I hope my input can help.

I wear my hair in twists mostly (too lazy for wash 'n gos and I go to class/work. It's just convenient and quick) so on wash day I unravel them. No pre-poos (I usually used to use hot Vatika oil on all the unraveled twists, but I just stopped), and I separate it into four sections with a jaw clip. I wash in sections which usually takes me 6-8 mins if I'm repeating but usually 10-15 mins.

To minimize breakage, I do a protein treatment every other wash day. You can usually use any protein treatment but I use CJ's Curl Fix. If I don't want to go through with all of that leaving on/rinsing, I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk after I shampoo (it has vegetable protein and really good slip). I usually slap the conditioner on in the shower same four sections and clip them up.
    I allow the conditioner to penetrate for some time (about 5 mins and I use the steam from my shower for about 2 mins to aid this process) step out and detangle. This surprisingly, takes around 6-8 minutes and if I want to backtrack and detangle again (because I'm OCD about that) it will take a bit longer.
    With deep conditioning is usually the same as applying my conditioner but I take a shower and let it penetrate as I shower. Only if I have nothing else better to do or I feel I need to--then I'll deep condition for an hour.

Altogether, I finish within 30-45 minutes. It takes an hour for me to twist. I never really did use ayurvedic treatments a lot. I used to use amla or hisbiscus powder but after noticing that it took 7 years to rinse out, I just left them under my sink. Anyway, hth and your washing routine gets easier for you--and shorter :D.
    Natural
    Last Relaxer: 5/29/08
    Hair type : 4a, very fine strands.
    BC: 3/23/09

Cleansers: CJGCS, Anita Gran Amla/Kelp Poo bars, Kinky Curl Come Clean

Clarifyer: Giovanni TTT
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie Smoothing Conditioner, Curls Coconut Sublime, Darcy's Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing condish, YTC

• ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    i pre poo my hair with oil (preferably olive or avocado) in four sections, twist and pin em up for abt 20 mins
    shampoo my hair in two sections.. lathering my scalp only.
    After I wash one side, I rinse and add conditioner.. do the same with the other. Then go back to the first side and detangle/remove shed hairs.
    I use a seamless comb btw, I noticed a big difference in the ease of detangling since switching..

if im not going to pt & or dt, I add more condish & let sit the remainder of my shower.
    If i am, after detangling I add my PT.. let sit, then rinse and add my dt when I finish my shower and put back in the four twists then throw on my plastic cap and im done.
    i rinse my dt out of the shower..

I agree with curlyarca, sounds like alot but it takes abt 30 mins altogether, excluding the prepoo..
    I try to only detangle soaking wet hair thats drenched in conditioner. In between wash days when I reset my braidouts or whatever I just section hair with my fingers.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    curlyarca wrote: »
    I read posts like these and think "What are you doing for hours?"

It takes me 30 minutes to wash myself and the hair (includes conditioning without the deep treatment). Then it takes me exactly an hour to twist my hair . Then I'm good for 5 days.

I feel for y'all that spend hours and hours on hair. I have no stamina for that.

I use a Denman and it detangles my hair in 10 minutes. Love my Denman.

Well, I like to DC for a good hour, which always adds to the time (contrary to what people say, there is a huge difference in my hair if I don't), and of course with henna and ayurvedic treatments, those take a few hours- which is why I've cut down. Also, in the past it would take me an hour to detangle (3 hours on one occassion- I almost just grabbed the scissors). My hair hated the denman for detangling. And my hair absolutely cannot dry loose, so add on whatever time it takes to do a stretched style. Luckily, I've recently been able to cut all this down, but 30 minutes would be impossible for me. I'm jealous!
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't deep conditioned in a a really, really, really long time. I always say I'm going to, but then I get lazy and don't do it.

I'm scared to henna because if I like it that's just more time and I'm to much of a time hoarder to give in. Plus my landlords the last few years are anal about putting anything down the drain.

I hate the getting in the shower and getting out of the shower. Maybe if I had a nicer shower I wouldn't mind, but I haven't had a really nice bathroom in years. I really minimize my time in the bathroom, and I can't bring myself to wash my hair in the kitchen sink.

How often do you deep condition? What do you use besides cassia, henna, etc.?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I never pre-poo. I don't see the need since I don't use poo often. I'll do it twice a month max and I rarely use sulfates. The rest of the time, I just co-wash. Anyhoo, I finger detangle first with whatever co-washing conditioner is around, then I wash in four sections. I use clips but as Elle said upthread, when my hair gets longer I may have to secure it with something else (my hair is about two inches past SL now). I wash that section, secure it with the clip, then go on to the next section. I don't twist after washing the section, I just roll and tuck my hair and then clip it. On days when I DCThen when I get out of the shower, I'll plop my hair with an old T-shirt for about a half hour, then apply a LI, shea butter or jojoba oil and a styler, then style. The whole process takes about 60-90 minutes.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    lashawnb wrote: »

Once I got to about 7 or 8 inches was when I realized I had to wash in sections. My hair was starting to get knotted up washing it loose by then.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file