Help me make cowashing work...

tresses2tresses2 Registered Users Posts: 44
So I washed my hair with GTTTT on Saturday, water washed on sunday, just refreshed on monday and cowashed today...my hair just has a bit of a greasy and flat look.. I am using suave naturals coconut as a cowash and then one c as a condish. i'm just not sure what my hair is supposed to be looking like.. it looked the best it's looked the day after the low poo but if this isn't the best for it in the long run I want to stick with cowashing. How do I know if my hair is just adjusting or if it really needs a low poo? i do have really fine hair and I thought it was high porosity because of so much heat and highlighting damage, but when I did the strand test it felt silky smooth so i'm guessing more normal porosity. any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• ValcurlValcurl Registered Users Posts: 300
    tresses2 wrote: »
    So I washed my hair with GTTTT on Saturday, water washed on sunday, just refreshed on monday and cowashed today...my hair just has a bit of a greasy and flat look.. I am using suave naturals coconut as a cowash and then one c as a condish. i'm just not sure what my hair is supposed to be looking like.. it looked the best it's looked the day after the low poo but if this isn't the best for it in the long run I want to stick with cowashing. How do I know if my hair is just adjusting or if it really needs a low poo? i do have really fine hair and I thought it was high porosity because of so much heat and highlighting damage, but when I did the strand test it felt silky smooth so i'm guessing more normal porosity. any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Suave coconut condish as a cowash really weighed my hair down when first learning about curly girl. I have had success with VO5 clarifying condish as a cowash weekly and a lowpoo 1-2x/ week. I also have highlights. Took a few months for my hair to stop being super frizzy.
    Curl Pattern:2b Texture: medium
    Porosity: med to high Density: med Elasticity: normal
    Lowpoo: (2x/wk) Shea moisture retention/ Mop C
    Cowash: Mop C/ AHRC
    Deep cond: Darcy's pumpkin seed condish/ SS deep
    Leave in: CJ curl assurance condish
    Stylers: SS CEJ, CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Hair hates: JC rockin' ringlets/CJ CIAB/AG recoil
    Hair loves: super soaking/ protein/ ACV rinses
    mod CG since 7/09 :love7:
  • Cousin-IttCousin-Itt Registered Users Posts: 45
    Try another conditioner to co-wash. I used Suave Naturals Coconut in the beginning too, but by the end of the day my hair looked greasy. I really like the Suave Naturals Pomegranate. If you can find that one you might give it a try. I am using the Strawberry one now, but I prefer the smell of the Pomegranate.
    2bMiii
    Normal porosity/Medium & high elasticity.

My Fotki http://public.fotki.com/Cousin-Itt/mod-cg-progress/
    Currently using: Burt's Bees Pomegranate & Soy.
    Suave Naturals Pomegranate Conditioner (co-wash)
    Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner.
    Flaxseed Gel
    Coconut Oil once a week as a prewash conditioner.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I too started using Suave coconut as a cowash when I first began going CG but it made my scalp itchy and flaky. How long have you been cowashing?
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    I've never used Suave before so I could be wrong but it could either be the product or maybe straight co-washing isn't working for you. It can be too much for some people. I tried it and it didn't do anything for me and might contributed to the scalp issues I was having. I do much better with low-pooing. Good luck!!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    as others have said I found the sauve coconut rather 'heavy' for a co-wash. Perhaps try another conditioner?

I also find that a scalp brush really helps me with co-washing. Not only does it give me a nice scalp massage, it always makes my scalp feel cleaner. Might help you and your scalp adjust.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
    I, too, was using the Suave coconut for the first couple of weeks. I have just switched to Tresseme Naturals for the co-wash (so now I am using it for both cowash and rinse out). My hair feels cleaner from it.

Incidentally, I thought of just using the Tresseme as a cowash because I saw another thread about foaming conditioners and Tresseme was one of them. It does foam quite a bit so I surmise that it perhaps able to carry away more. Maybe that is just me hoping so. :)

HTH
    2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
    RO TN Moisturizing .
    Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
    Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
    Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

http://designdedication.com

saved by grace, walking by faith
  • liongirl29liongirl29 Registered Users Posts: 42
    It's a shame too, because I am obsessed with anything coconut scented. However, I just had a cowash success today! I bought some VO5 Raspberry conditioner yesterday and used it this morning on the length of my hair, and used a low-poo on my scalp. I have fine, fluffy hair and it gets weighed down quickly. But the VO5 worked great! I had my doubts when it was wet still, but when it dried it was nice and shiny and fluffy with no frizz. I didn't put any product in, so there's not a ton of curl but it's not weighed down. Success!

Maybe you should experiment with VO5! It seems thinner in consistency as compared to the Suave, which I thought left my hair feeling waxy and my scalp itchy.
    Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
    Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
    Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
    I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
    Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file