Retaining moisture

applesandafrosapplesandafros Posts: 328Registered Users
Ive been natural for 4 years but im just now starting to actually work with it. And i can not keep this mop moisturized. Any tips?

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using CurlTalk App
Almost MBL Coils
spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
Sealer: Grape seed oil
Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna

Comments

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been natural for 8+ years, but just now learning to work with my hair too. I know I have to moisturize my hair daily depending on the weather, or it will be dry as a bone. Moisturizing and sealing is key for me.

These days before I go out, I fluff a little Oyin Hair Dew in my dry hair and seal it with a light oil like jojoba or these days I've been loving Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir.

At night I have to spray each section with a little water and use a leave-in of some sort. I seal my ends with a balm or pomade like Oyin Burnt Sugar, Zipporah Green Tea Hair & Body Butter or a homemade blend of cocoa butter and castor oil.

I don't do daily WnG, so I have to be more on top of moisturizing.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • darkbeautyttdarkbeautytt Posts: 448Registered Users
    I have natural 2yrs and I'm still try to understand the whole moisture thing myself lol! I seal with castor oil or coconut oil and its was soft. So we see

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • Al1020BlueAl1020Blue Posts: 147Registered Users
    I have only been natural almost 6mths...but I have always had the dry hair problem even when I was relaxed (I think my hair color also makes me feel like my hair is dry)...anywho I have been trying way to keep in the moisture...I recently began sealing with grapeseed oil and sweet almond oil (cheap and gives my hair a nice shine and helps cut down on frizz).

I used to seal with Oyin BSP but the dewpoints where I am are too high (but might be okay for you?). Will go back to it in the late fall though...

For now Oyin HD and J&B have been keeping me right as far as moisture...
    If at first you don't succeed you must try, try, try again...:disgust:

Current Products:

Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo & SM African Black Soap

LI Condish: Oyin HH, SM DTM, SM Y&A Milk
    DC: SM DTM, Honey & Oil Blend
    Stylers: Oyin S&D, Oyin BSP, Oyin J&B, EcoStyler (Blue), SM C&S Milk
    Oils: Tea Tree, Grapeseed, EVOO, Vatika Oil, Sweet Almond, Avocado Oil, SM RSB Elixir

We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness - A. Schweitzer
  • applesandafrosapplesandafros Posts: 328Registered Users
    Im hearing a lot about sealing. What exactly is that?

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using CurlTalk App
    Almost MBL Coils
    spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
    Sealer: Grape seed oil
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Using an oil or butter on top of whatever you used to moisturize to seal it in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file