To cut, or to keep it long?

proctorsweetieproctorsweetie Posts: 93Registered Users
Hi everyone!
I have thick, kind of coarse 3a/3b hair. I've had my hair long for years now and I've been wanting to cut it short for some time. I have this style in mind:hairinsp4.th.jpg

And this is what my hair looks like currently:
photoon20110425at1603.th.jpg

photoon20110425at16043.th.jpg

photoon20110425at1617.th.jpg

Should I keep it long, or cut it? Am I being realistic with the cut I have in mind? My mom thinks I'm being ridiculous, and my friends are mixed - some think it could totally work, and others don't. The one thing that's bothering me is I'll probably have to use rollers/heat to get any nice curl with a short cut.
Thanks so much for any advice!! :)
I think Bumble&Bumble put it best: WILD CHILD AMAZON WARRIOR BOMBSHELL

2c/3a Botticelli curls
started CG 27. May 2011
:wave:
Curl inspiration: Nicole Kidman's natural curls, the 80's/90's careers of Laetitia Casta & Eva Herzigova, the artwork of Milo Manara

Comments

• proctorsweetieproctorsweetie Posts: 93Registered Users
    In the hope that it might help a bit, I made a quick video of what my hair is like. Sorry for the poor quality, it's webcam--but I think it gives a rough idea of what my hair's texture/feel is like. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If anyone has any opinions, please let me know! Keep it long, or cut it?

Thanks!!

2c/3a Botticelli curls
    started CG 27. May 2011
    Curl inspiration: Nicole Kidman's natural curls, the 80's/90's careers of Laetitia Casta & Eva Herzigova, the artwork of Milo Manara
  • risosrisos Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks like you can pull it off. You seem to have just the right amount of wave without too tight of a curl to not have to use rollers/heat even when you cut it short the wave shouldn't change.
    [FONT=&quot]Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Long, 3b, Brunette, Highlights.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    Shampoo-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Head and Shoulders[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Daily Conditioner & Leave In-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Creme-Ouidad Curl Quencher Hydrafusion Curl Cream
    Deep Treatment-Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Highlights-Foils from the Salon[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    risos wrote: »
    It looks like you can pull it off. You seem to have just the right amount of wave without too tight of a curl to not have to use rollers/heat even when you cut it short the wave shouldn't change.

Thanks so much for your input!

2c/3a Botticelli curls
    started CG 27. May 2011
  • KittyCurlsKittyCurls Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hi! I have a pixie at the moment. I love it. It is Trueky the low maintenance cut. And you can experiment with colour cause I grows out quick.

However If your hair curls close to the scalp it won't look like those pics and it will be too short to straighten effectively. Personally I think the curl adds movement and texture to the cut and I'm loving it. I do tend to get Sticky out bits along the sides as the hair is going the wring way. Sleeping on it flattens them out. But it's something to be aware of. The first time I grew out a crop it took about 3 years and I hated it the whole time. Notice I likes the style enough to come back.
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get the cut. I think it will look fantastic.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
    Thanks so much for the replies. You guys are awesome over here!

@kittycurls - For months I wanted a pixie cut, but as you said, my hair would curl too close to the scalp. I'm happy for you, though! If you got it, flaunt it.

@Goin'Grey - Really? I'm thinking of making my appointment for next weekend. My mom thinks I should just let it grow, and part of me agrees. We recently cut it at home(awful idea, awful awful awful) so I think I'm definitely going to get it shaped, and then ask my stylist what she thinks. It's irritating because she cuts my hair like she does hers, only my curls are natural and hers aren't. Also, do you recommend dry or wet cuts? I want to try out a dry one.

2c/3a Botticelli curls
    started CG 27. May 2011

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file