I work with a bunch of racists.. **updated**

redheadfullofcurlsredheadfullofcurls Registered Users Posts: 409 Curl Connoisseur
and by a bunch, I mean 3 out of 5 people I work with are comfortable and find it completely appropriate to use derogatory, rude, and racist comments around me. Nothing is directed at me (I'm white, they're white) Needless to say I'm looking for another job. What's bad is that I don't feel comfortable speaking out against it and that bothers me more than anything. Cross your fingers for me that another job comes around.. and soon.

Updated on last page..
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
Oscar Wilde

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess I don't understand why you can't say something simple like: Hey, please don't speak that way around me. I don't appreciate racist humor/derogatory-remarks.

It can be said without judgment. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

I think we all have a duty to expose and stop racism when we encounter it...in public, in private, and in the work place.
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    I used to feel the same way but with my family. Most of my family (with me being the exception) are racist. But they are those special type of racists that claim that they aren't and that their comments are all in fun.
    (Fun for who? I don't know)
    My SO's family are the exact opposite of mine. Which has made me even more aware of the things that my family members say....
    I finally had to ask them to please keep their comments no matter how innocent they thought they were to themselves. They told me I was over reacting and being too sensitive...which really irked...
    And it took a few more times of asking until they really got it, and quit making those comments around us.
    In the work place is even worse....you definitely need to speak up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    I guess I don't understand why you can't say something simple like: Hey, please don't speak that way around me. I don't appreciate racist humor/derogatory-remarks.

It can be said without judgment. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

I think we all have a duty to expose and stop racism when we encounter it...in public, in private, and in the work place.

Agree completely. Frankly, ime, it's never comfortable to speak out but I always do.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    At least say something to your manager. If your manager is one of the racists, tell HR. It's illegal, for crying out loud.
  • breathebreathe Registered Users Posts: 399
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    At least say something to your manager. If your manager is one of the racists, tell HR. It's illegal, for crying out loud.

THIS. You're in a work environment, not someone's home. You don't have to tolerate this.
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

• coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    breathe wrote: »
    mrspoppers wrote: »

THIS. You're in a work environment, not someone's home. You don't have to tolerate this.
    +1

The more you (or others) don't stand up and say something, the longer this behavior continues and White people think it's ok (or "no big deal"). Step up and say something. It doesn't have to be to their face, but tell it to someone who can reprimand them somehow.

Just think of you (as a white person) being offended at what they are saying and think of the courage it must take for me (a black person or other person) being discriminated against TO OUR FACE to stand up and say that sh*t isn't right. Take a stand, it will feel a lot better than you feel now. (then hopefully you can get a job with people who are likeminded and not bigots)

Take courage. Be well.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I think people who do stuff like this believe that they're just saying what everyone else is thinking. And this belief is what makes them bold enough to say this stuff. So I think it's important to let them know that it's not what everyone's thinking. You can't make them stop being bigots, but at least you can puncture the bravado that makes them feel safe to act on their racism.
  • redheadfullofcurlsredheadfullofcurls Registered Users Posts: 409 Curl Connoisseur
    I spent last night dodging tornados or else I would have responded sooner.

It's a privately owned, very successful dental practice. And yes, the "manager" in this case is one of the offenders. There isn't an HR to report this to. There are only 6 people in the office and I'm the newest by a couple of years. They are very gossipy, and clichy.. Just another reason I want to leave. I had an interview yesterday so I'm crossing my fingers that this comes through.

I agree 100% with RCW that it's everyone's obligation to stand against racism, but I NEED this job until another one comes.. and as bad as it sounds, I don't want me make matters worse for me until that happens and that's why I don't feel comfortable speaking up.

I know racism is everywhere, but I just moved to the "deep South" about 7 months ago, and I'm definitely not used to people being so upfront and nonchalant about it..

I guess the purpose of this thread was to vent..
    Oscar Wilde
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    You said 3 out of 5, so what about the other two people you work with? Would it be easier if you knew they felt as you do?
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    You can report the incident to the EEOC of the your state. I have lived in the south for approximately 15 years, and have not experienced this. I have seen sexual harassment and flirtation done to other people, but have not experienced it.

Perpetrators of racism and other violations will do and say things in front or to others whom they know will not do anything about it.

People have tried to violate my civil rights as well as others in the "north", but I spoke up about it. I spoke up about it because I was surprised and mentioned that they sounded like a "cracker." And the environments I worked in were a mixture of black and white! Finally, on the advice of a colleague and friend, I moved to the south. I know that there are some places in the south that are racist, so I avoid those places. But there are just as many if not more in the north. By the way, two of the places I worked were in California and Washington states.

Racism is on the rise everywhere, especially now-and that's ironic since we have a black president.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    coilynapp wrote: »
    Just think of you (as a white person) being offended at what they are saying and think of the courage it must take for me (a black person or other person) being discriminated against TO OUR FACE to stand up and say that sh*t isn't right.

Great point. Eilonwy's too.

I do realize, tho, it is easier said than done, esp when you're depending on these people to pay you.

There are a lot of intelligent and outspoken women on this board, redheadfullofcurls. I'm sure if you present the group with an example of the comments, we can come up with some snappy, pithy retorts!;-)
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Racism is on the rise everywhere, especially now-and that's ironic since we have a black president.

Personally, I don't think it's ironic; that implies a rise in racism is just coincidental to having a Black president. I don't think it's coincidence at all. Having a Black president was just a bit too much for some people and they let it bring out the worst in them.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I spent last night dodging tornados or else I would have responded sooner.

It's a privately owned, very successful dental practice. And yes, the "manager" in this case is one of the offenders. There isn't an HR to report this to. There are only 6 people in the office and I'm the newest by a couple of years. They are very gossipy, and clichy.. Just another reason I want to leave. I had an interview yesterday so I'm crossing my fingers that this comes through.

I agree 100% with RCW that it's everyone's obligation to stand against racism, but I NEED this job until another one comes.. and as bad as it sounds, I don't want me make matters worse for me until that happens and that's why I don't feel comfortable speaking up.

I know racism is everywhere, but I just moved to the "deep South" about 7 months ago, and I'm definitely not used to people being so upfront and nonchalant about it..

I guess the purpose of this thread was to vent..

I totally understand, it's not that uncommon down here. And if you tell them now, work will be even more uncomfortable for you and there is no point of doing that to yourself. I would find something new and then tell them when you leave the reason you left. I know they probably won't change but at least you did your part and at least they heard it from one person.
  • redheadfullofcurlsredheadfullofcurls Registered Users Posts: 409 Curl Connoisseur
    Just think of you (as a white person) being offended at what they are saying and think of the courage it must take for me (a black person or other person) being discriminated against TO OUR FACE to stand up and say that sh*t isn't right.

I do realize, tho, it is easier said than done, esp when you're depending on these people to pay you.

There are a lot of intelligent and outspoken women on this board, redheadfullofcurls. I'm sure if you present the group with an example of the comments, we can come up with some snappy, pithy retorts!;-)

The first comment that was made that I found offensive happened during a morning meeting soon after I started..

Doctor was going over the schedule and discussing each patient and their treatment. He said patient so and so will be here for such and such. He will need this and that. Someone spoke up and said "I think you're thinking of someone else because so and so is female".. His response "Oh.. well they all look alike to me." Everyone had a laugh except me because I didn't get it.. until the patient showed up and she was black.

Since then I've heard the N-word about 4 or 5 times.

Another situation that pissed me off was when discussing a patient (who is black) with doctor.. He said "Previous assistant so and so and patient so and so didn't get along at all. I had to go in the room one time because they started arguing".. I said, "that's wierd.. why in the world would that happen".. Doctor "well assistant so and so didn't like black people. I actually did speak up that time and say "Well, that's not okay." But apparently it was okay that she didn't like black people and made it known to others since she worked here for an entire year..

Not only that.. but doctor once asked me in front of everyone (all females except for him) if I was on my period because I got worked up about something. :? I was too stunned to reply.

I hate this place.
    Oscar Wilde

The first comment that was made that I found offensive happened during a morning meeting soon after I started..

Doctor was going over the schedule and discussing each patient and their treatment. He said patient so and so will be here for such and such. He will need this and that. Someone spoke up and said "I think you're thinking of someone else because so and so is female".. His response "Oh.. well they all look alike to me." Everyone had a laugh except me because I didn't get it.. until the patient showed up and she was black.

Another situation that pissed me off was when discussing a patient (who is black) with doctor.. He said "Previous assistant so and so and patient so and so didn't get along at all. I had to go in the room one time because they started arguing".. I said, "that's wierd.. why in the world would that happen".. Doctor "well assistant so and so didn't like black people. I actually did speak up that time and say "Well, that's not okay." But apparently it was okay that she didn't like black people and made it known to others since she worked here for an entire year..

Not only that.. but doctor once asked me in front of everyone (all females except for him) if I was on my period because I got worked up about something. :? I was too stunned to reply.

I hate this place.

Ugh, that's worse than I thought. I'm sorry. That would make my stomach turn and yes, I would be looking for another job.

I don't think there are any clever comebacks that will lighten the tension there. The only way to address that is directly and furiously IMO...and hope they will be too shocked and mortified to retalliate. I'm sorry...for them, too.

Stay strong.
    Phoenix wrote: »

Personally, I don't think it's ironic; that implies a rise in racism is just coincidental to having a Black president. I don't think it's coincidence at all. Having a Black president was just a bit too much for some people and they let it bring out the worst in them.

Yep. Most people in some areas did not vote for Obama, their worst nightmare and yes it really is.

I hate this place.

Yikes, what an *******. I hope you find something soon.
  • forbeeforbee Registered Users Posts: 441

I hate this place.

I wish I could say I was surprised about hearing these incidences...but I am not. It does surprise me when a lot of people (around my age) think that racism ended because of the civil rights movement. Excuse me? The civil rights movement was only how many years ago? As though it can't be possible that the bigots and their children/grandchildren are alive today. Think people!

Slight rant over.

Anyway, OP, I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you find a solution (and/or a new job) soon!

P.S. I would hate to be that dentist's patient. I'd be afraid that someone would try to mess with my teeth or something.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you could leave an anonymous review online of his dental practice warning any potential black patients of what they're getting into if they come to this practice. That way you can say your piece and keep the peace until you find a new job.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    forbee wrote: »

I hate this place.

I wish I could say I was surprised about hearing these incidences...but I am not. It does surprise me when a lot of people (around my age) think that racism ended because of the civil rights movement. Excuse me? The civil rights movement was only how many years ago? As though it can't be possible that the bigots and their children/grandchildren are alive today. Think people!

Slight rant over.

Anyway, OP, I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you find a solution (and/or a new job) soon!

P.S. I would hate to be that dentist's patient. I'd be afraid that someone would try to mess with my teeth or something.

Oh no.. He would take good care of you and be sweet as pie to your face. He has a pretty good number of black patients and some he's had for many, many years that he speaks very highly of and they absolutely love him.. I don't even think he realizes he's a racist.

The office admin manager and the other assistant are the ones that use the N- word. They are the serious offenders.
    Oscar Wilde
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

His response "Oh.. well they all look alike to me." Everyone had a laugh except me because I didn't get it.. until the patient showed up and she was black.

Not only that.. but doctor once asked me in front of everyone (all females except for him) if I was on my period because I got worked up about something. :-? I was too stunned to reply.

I am NOT defending him, but I wonder if you misinterpreted that first comment. It's quite common for medical folks who specialize in one particular body part to say that all-patients-look-alike...particularly those who work on human orifices (dentists, gynecologists, proctologists, etc.) I've heard that comment a thousand times in the gynecological world. It's humorous...(unless it's your particular orifice they're discussing).

ANYWAY...the other things are completely unacceptable. I would tell that dentist in a joking-around-yet-firm way that he does not get to discuss my menstrual cycle, or even think about my menstrual cycle. My menstrual cycle is off-limits to work colleagues.

I would also work on a way to tell the others that their N-word comments offend you. I have always found humor works best for that. They don't quite know if you're serious or not...but it gets the message across without you looking like a bad-guy.

His response "Oh.. well they all look alike to me." Everyone had a laugh except me because I didn't get it.. until the patient showed up and she was black.

Not only that.. but doctor once asked me in front of everyone (all females except for him) if I was on my period because I got worked up about something. :-? I was too stunned to reply.

I am NOT defending him, but I wonder if you misinterpreted that first comment. It's quite common for medical folks who specialize in one particular body part to say that all-patients-look-alike...particularly those who work on human orifices (dentists, gynecologists, proctologists, etc.) I've heard that comment a thousand times in the gynecological world. It's humorous...(unless it's your particular orifice they're discussing).

ANYWAY...the other things are completely unacceptable. I would tell that dentist in a joking-around-yet-firm way that he does not get to discuss my menstrual cycle, or even think about my menstrual cycle. My menstrual cycle is off-limits to work colleagues.

I would also work on a way to tell the others that their N-word comments offend you. I have always found humor works best for that. They don't quite know if you're serious or not...but it gets the message across without you looking like a bad-guy.

I'm fairly certain of what he meant, but it is possible that I misinterpreted what he said.. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.. He is a total doosh, though. :-)
    Oscar Wilde
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    You can report the incident to the EEOC of the your state.
    I think that's a good idea, but the dentist may employ too few people for any laws to apply.

And don't forget, it may be that the OP really can't say anything without getting fired.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    This is a dental practice? Report him/them to the state dental board.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    OMG. Your work place sounds like HELL. Not only are they racist, they are sexist too. That cannot be good at all. It's poisonous and toxic.

Here's mojo to you for a new job...gosh. I'm so sorry you have to go through this everyday.

ETA: I agree with Bekapoo's idea of writing an anon. review abt the place. Also Phoenix's idea of reporting him to the dental board. He is unprofessional and a bigot and is leading a team of bigots. He needs to be stopped.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Registered Users Posts: 1,494
    One of my biggest regrets is not reporting sexual harassment when I felt violated. Even tho this isn't sexual harassment the way you have to hear these offensive statements while you are working is unacceptable. I highly recommend u report this to the EEOC.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• roseannadanaroseannadana Registered Users Posts: 5,633 Curl Connoisseur
    Best of luck to you and I hope you find a better place to work soon. I have experience with this type of environment and even if you do say something, it's not likely to change. You'd FEEL better for saying something but really, just get out as soon as you can. Life is too short to work in a toxic workplace. Disclaimer: I need to take my own advice. :)

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Registered Users Posts: 666 Curl Neophyte
    What part of the South are you in? I'm in Florida and I am the ONLY black person on my job. There are 4 whites and the rest....about 7...are Hispanic.

That kinda bothers me. I haven't heard any racial comments as of yet (to my face) and I've been there for almost a year. But then again I have a strong personality and nobody gets away or even tries BS with me.

There is one chick that has tried me with snide comments about my hair and she's Hispanic but I always have some sort of comeback and turns out she also has black blood running through her veins.

But I hope you find a new job. And when you do. Report him so hard til he won't know what hit him! That is unacceptable. And no....racism is not dead!

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
    What part of the South are you in? I'm in Florida and I am the ONLY black person on my job. There are 4 whites and the rest....about 7...are Hispanic.

That kinda bothers me. I haven't heard any racial comments as of yet (to my face) and I've been there for almost a year. But then again I have a strong personality and nobody gets away or even tries BS with me.

There is one chick that has tried me with snide comments about my hair and she's Hispanic but I always have some sort of comeback and turns out she also has black blood running through her veins.

But I hope you find a new job. And when you do. Report him so hard til he won't know what hit him! That is unacceptable. And no....racism is not dead!

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk

I moved here to Arkansas from S. Florida back in September. Talk about culture shock.
    Oscar Wilde
    and by a bunch, I mean 3 out of 5 people I work with are comfortable and find it completely appropriate to use derogatory, rude, and racist comments around me. Nothing is directed at me (I'm white, they're white) Needless to say I'm looking for another job. What's bad is that I don't feel comfortable speaking out against it and that bothers me more than anything. Cross your fingers for me that another job comes around.. and soon.

Would reporting them anonymously or reporting after you've found another job make you feel better?

Or do you wish you could verbally confront them? (ideally)

I don't know that they are really breaking any laws (it would be hostile environment only if you've asked them to stop and they continued). And they aren't actively discriminating against anyone.

I can't imagine the gall it would take for a group of White people in a professional setting to say the N word (in this day and age)! I mean, how completely uncouth and unsophisticated would they need to be to do this??

But in my current job, the (previous) FEMALE, AFRICAN AMERICAN HR MANAGER used to do that jibberish-sounding, mock American Sign Language, Charlie-Brown's-teacher-on-the-phone isht to make fun of people she thought weren't too smart.

She did it at the damn office Christmas party and some people laughed.

I was disgusted. I just gave her the screw face and said, "Seriously? Sign language is supposed to mean you're stupid??" And I got up and left. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file