Can someone explain the CG method??

_lollipop__lollipop_ Posts: 19Registered Users
Hi everyone, this is my first post :)

From what I've gathered, you don't use shampoo because it has the sulphates in... Are there more reasons for this, or can you continue to shampoo if there are no sulphates in it?

I'm English and there's a range here called Naked which has no silicones, or sulphates.. would I be okay using their shampoo and conditioner, or does that not count as CG?

I've looked at the before/after thread, your results are so amazing, I'm inspired :D thanks!

Comments

• creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Hello! So I am a modified CG, meaning I still shampoo with a "low-poo" that only has natural based sulfates in it.

Sulfates are a type of surfactant, substances that act as cleansers or detergents. Some sulfates, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, are very harsh surfactants and often very cheap which is why they are found in SO many shampoos. Because they are very harsh and because curly hair is delicate, most sulfates should not be used on curly hair (I'm not even sure they should really be used on anyone's hair).

Some curly girls find that all sulfates (natural based or not) are too harsh for their hair so they only use conditioner to co-wash their hair. I however, found that I need a gentle sulfate shampoo to use once a week, max.

Below is a list of sulfates to avoid and sulfates that are OK, if you want to use them. I found that it made a huge difference to go from a harsh sulfate (sodium laureth sulfate) to a milder sulfate.

Harsh sulfates to avoid in cleansers:

• Sodium Laureth, Myreth, Lauryl Sulfate
    • Ammonium or Sodium Xylenesulfonate
    • Ammonium Lauryl and Laureth Sulfate
    • Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
    • TEA Lauryl Sulfate
    • TEA-dodecylbenzenesulfonate
    • Sodium Alkylbenzene Sulfonate
    Gentler, very mild sulfates in cleansers:
    • Sodium Cocyl Isethionate
    • Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate
    • Sodium Socoyl (or lauryl/lauroyl) Sarcosinate
    • Ethyl PEG-15 Cocamine Sulfate
    • Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate
    • Sodium Lauryl Glucose Carboxylate
    • Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
    • Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate/Disodium Sulfolaurate – (synonym) Sodium
    • Methyl Cocoyl or Lauryl Taurate – mild, derived from coconut fatty acids
    • Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate
    HTH, good luck!
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • yvette27polakayvette27polaka Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am in love with your hair, as it looks like the same style as mine. I am 3a and new to the CG method. Do you think you can spare some tips? My hair is frizzy and wild right now. How does your routine work? Any advice would be appreciated!
    Yvette
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    I am in love with your hair, as it looks like the same style as mine. I am 3a and new to the CG method. Do you think you can spare some tips? My hair is frizzy and wild right now. How does your routine work? Any advice would be appreciated!
    Yvette

Well first, stick with the CG method. The first few weeks can be rough, but after your hair will emerge looking much better. Second, try to determine your hair texture and porosity; this highly influences what kinds of products your hair needs. You can go to livecurlylivefree.com for their professional hair analysis and their tips for determining your hair stats by yourself.

As far as tips and tricks that I have picked up...
    First, apply a little bit of curl creme and/or gel to soaking wet hair. This has helped my avoid frizz caused by my flour sack towel that I use to dry my hair. Second, do not use a terry cloth towel on your hair, I only use microfiber and flour sack. I also try to limit how much either type of towel touches my hair. I also have a tendency to take whatever product I am applying (gel, or curl creme or leave in condish) and smooth it down the length of my hair and then scrunch to get curl formation. I feel like this helps smooth down any flyaways that might form. I also almost always leave some conditioner in my hair, especially on the canopy which always gives me issues with frizz.

I have a tendency to touch my hair a lot, try not to because it will cause lots of frizz. Also, sleep on a satin pillowcase or get a sleep cap. They will help prevent your hair from getting frizzy overnight. I find that if I don't get lots of frizz overnight, then my hair is more manageable during the day.

If you scrunch out the crunch from a gel cast, be sure your hair is 100% dry when you do it.

As far as my routine, I wet my hair everyday (at least most of the time). I low poo about once a week, co-wash about 3-4 times per week, and just wet my hair down and add more conditioner on all the other days. If I low poo, I either use Giovanni TTTT or Desert Essence Coconut, both only contain coconut derived surfactants. My co-wash is Suave Naturals Green Apple and my regular wash-out/leave-in conditioner is GVP Conditioning Balm. I try not to rinse out all the conditioning balm and often just rinse by taking my cupped hands full of water and flinging the water over my hair or scrunching the water into my hair. This way, the water flow doesn't take out too much conditioner and pull on my curls. After my shower, using only my hands, I squeeze out some of the water. Then I add about half a palm-full of gel and smooth and scrunch it in. Then I use my flour sack towel to scrunch out more water and once my hair is no longer dripping, I add more gel and scrunch all over. This is all done with my head upside down. Then I either plop or just turn my head right side up and shake my hair to get the curls to fall into place. Sometimes I diffuse using the pixie curl method (search the forums for it). And then I SOTC.

Ok, that is a lot of info! HTH! PM me if you have more questions!
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • itslissyitslissy Posts: 35Registered Users
    I did a few videos on my YouTube about CG:
    Here's the first one: YouTube Video
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Curls are like curves, there's nothing sexier than rockin' them the way God gave 'em to ya!
    Blogger
    YouTube
    Co-Wash: Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Conditioner Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Leave In:L’Oreal Nature’s Therapy Liquid Energy Fortifying Treatment
    Stylers: John Freida Root Awakening Gel, Miss Jesse's Baby butter creme

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file