HELP!! It won't stay straight!

siren8780siren8780 Posts: 36Registered Users
I need advice please. :shock: :oops: I use the maxiglide to straighten my hair and it works great. It gets my hair stick straight. The only problem is that it won't stay straight. I've tried using the Pro Tools Ceramic iron and a hot comb (black girls know what I mean). Nothing ever worked as well as the maxiglide, so I'm wondering if I need a better styling product or method.

Ususally my hair will get nice and straight and shiny etc..and then about 20 or 30 minutes later it starts to frizz up and get puffy especially on the ends. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or just not doing. Any advice would be great. I usually use a leave in conditioner by L'Anza and the straightening gel that comes with the maxiglide. I also add a frizz control lotion too.
I love my curly hair.
3c/4a

Comments

• TroDousTroDous Posts: 241Registered Users
    I've yet to have that problem. I usually don't use cones until it's time to flat iron, then ALL my products must have cones in them. So I use Redken smooth line for shampoo & deep conditioner. then I let it dry overnight. The next day I use Redken heat glide plus a little shea butter for shine. I apply to each section before I iron. This works perfectly and my hair stays straight usually for at least a week or more depending on what I've been doing. I sweat easily on my scalp so that starts to revert first but it's usually not even that noticeable.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
  • siren8780siren8780 Posts: 36Registered Users
    I don't use the silicone stuff before I straighten it. I just use cream products like the frizz cream and gel etc. I've been looking at reviews for the Sedu and I'm thinking of getting one. Any thoughts?
    I love my curly hair.
    3c/4a
  • smokindivasmokindiva Posts: 90Registered Users
    I recently purchased PUREOLOGY antifade complex- super straight and it works great. More than I wanted to spend($19) but it does what it says and I'm pleased with the results.

yvonne
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    -MLK

Loves: Henna, Amla, Rhassoul clay, avocado butter, aloe vera gel, flax seed gel and castor oil.
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users
    I have the same problem. I am sitting here right now looking like something out of 1985. LOL. I bought a generic CHI from Sally's and it worked great, but my hair starts to poof after a few minutes. *sigh*

I am pretty sure it has to do more with the products/techniques rather than the styling tool, especially if it straightens well to begin with.

I have heard many people say that using an oil before blow drying helps a lot. I will have to do that next time and see what happens.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • siren8780siren8780 Posts: 36Registered Users
    I tried one last time to get my hair straight with my Maxiglide and didn't work. It got straight, or at least seemed straight, but then it poofed up again. So the other day I went to the ULTA and bought a new flat iron. I almost spent 120 bucks on the Sedu. But then out of the corner of my eye I spotted a Wigo Onyx on sale for $20 from $149. I love a good bargain so I bought that one instead. I gets just as hot (according to the box) as a Sedu and it works GREAT!!!! :D :D :D

I think that the real problem is that the Maxiglide just isn't getting my hair straight enough to begin with, which is why it poofs so easily once it cools down. This new flat iron gets my hair STRAIGHT! and it stay's straight. I'll post some pics tonight so you all can see what I mean.
    I love my curly hair.
    3c/4a
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    smokindiva wrote:
    I recently purchased PUREOLOGY antifade complex- super straight and it works great. More than I wanted to spend($19) but it does what it says and I'm pleased with the results.

yvonne

I love Pureology Hydrating...does the super straight do as much as the Phytodefrissant (by Phyto) do you think? Has anybody tried both?

As you say, the price is prohibitive but they usually last for ages. Does it make the hair flat and have no body as well, or just makes it straight?
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • GiveMeABMWGiveMeABMW Posts: 219Registered Users
    My hair always looked puffy and ugly when I flat ironed, until I got one that gets HOT, 450 degrees. I used the Chi with success and also the Solia flat irons, both in the 1" size. Just make sure you iron tiny pieces at a time. I had an elaborate clipping system to make sure I got every strand of hair, but do what works for you.

If THAT doesn't work you might have to blow dry your hair straight with a round brush (which will make it look big, but straight), and then flat iron to smooth it out.

Rubbing a tiny bit of serum into your hair afterwards will also make it look smooth and shiny.
    What's working this week:
    Shower: Garnier 3x Nutrition shampoo 1x per week, cowash with Tres Semme Naturals, condition with
    GF Sleek and Shine deep conditioner
    Styling: Tres Semme Naturals as leave in, L'Oreal Melting gel and HE SMU raked in, LOOB and AG Re:Coil scrunched in, Jojoba Oil scrunched in when totally dry
    :toothy4: 3B
  • CurlJusticeCurlJustice Posts: 35Registered Users
    "I usually don't use cones until it's time to flat iron, then ALL my products must have cones in them."

What are cones?
    "My hair is glorious, but it is only tamed by braids. I'm not even sure what my unbraided hair looks like anymore.":afro::queen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file