What's Difference Btwn Cowash and No-poo?

liongirl29liongirl29 Posts: 42Registered Users
By difference, I mean with the products. Specifically is there much of a difference between using a conditioner to wash your hair and a product specified as a cleansing cream?

I have officially switched over to low-poos but can't bring myself to completely go no-poo as I haven't had good luck with it. However, the only product I've used for cowash is Suave Coconut. Alot of people on these boards seem to love it, but it leaves an icky sticky film on my scalp and hair, and my hair goes totally flat and turns to waves instead of loose spirals, which is what is normally is for the most part. Oh, and my scalp itches like crazy with the Suave.

I'm scared to co-wash now. Maybe I need a more watery conditioner to try? Seems that my hair is dry but gets over moisturized quickly.
Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Essentially, it's the same thing. My salon has Deva NoPoo and I used to let them use it, but my hair finds it very drying, so I bring my own product. Some of the cleansing conditioners that are made by the online "boutique" are really nice. A lot of us like the CJ Daily Fix, it has Cocamidopropyl Betaine for cleansing and EDTA, which is a chelating agent--it's what I bring to the salon. After six months of cowashing, I started to use natural soap bars to cleanse when they were the rage on nc.com. I've been using them for 2 1/2 years because my hair really likes them.

Most important thing is to find what works for you.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • liongirl29liongirl29 Posts: 42Registered Users
    I appreciate the leads! I have gotten very used to very little lather with low-poo and actually freak now if I use one with a lot of lather. I don't think the transition to no lather will be bad at all.

I noticed that the Suave wasn't removing the oils from my scalp, even with alot of friction. I have a theory on that, but don't know if it holds any weight...as I have been using low-poos, and they can be drying as well, do you think that if I just cut those out and use water on my scalp while cleansing the length of my hair with conditioner (not Suave, lol) that my scalp wouldn't push out so much oil? I thought it may be pumping it out to compensate for dryness from the low-poo....

Once my scalp stops greasing up on me it might be easier to cowash.
    Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
    Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
    Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
    I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
    Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most people have an adjustment period before it all starts working for them. The more you wash your scalp, the more oil it produces. Actually, people coat the length of their hair with conditioner and wash their scalp. Does your hair really get dirty?? If you're using water soluble products, they should rinse out. I use the natural soap bars because I use really rich products. They are really mild and remove any residual product from my hair. I do the CJ Daily Fix on occasion (at least every six weeks) for it's chelating properties.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file