Highlighting henndigoed hair = green hair?

AllyTAllyT Registered Users Posts: 613
I wish I had known this before putting indigo on my hair. I had wanted to dye my hair black, but I'm now indecisive about it. I've used indigo, but just a touch, as in about a 1/4 tsp. in a 1/2 cup of henna. My hair got a touch darker than it would with a normal henna treatment. I don't think going darker than this will be very flattering on me, but I'm still deciding.

I did a search on indigo, which lead me to a thread on longhaircommunity.com. I'm not very familiar w/the site, but they seem to know what they're talking about. What I want to know is, from using a small amount of indigo and knowing that it fades, do I still run the risk of green hair if I want to highlight overtop? I'm thinking about doing a few highlights in front. I know I want a change, but can't decide which direction to take. If I choose highlights, will a strand test give me a good indication? I henndioged about a month ago. I haven't noticed any fading.

Comments

• LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    Hmmmm. Seems all I've read about henna is that you cannot lift it out with bleach. It is truly a permanent thing. I would do some deep research about that before you let any chemical lighteners within 5 feet of your head!
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • AllyTAllyT Registered Users Posts: 613
    Yeah, I've decided not to go with highlighting because I remember how damaging it was to my hair before. I would like to get away from henna/indigo though because it is just too messy, timely, and clogs my drain. The problem is, I need to color my hair b/c I get grays coming in that I don't want. Henna/indigo is so much better on my hair than chemical color.

I put this on the henna thread on the 4a board, but will ask here, too: what about relaxers and henna/indigo reactions? Would relaxers be more likely to affect my hair badly w/henndigo versus coloring with chemical dyes (I've never done a relaxer on dyed hair before.)?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file