Rant against baking recipes

webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
So I was mildly curious about the milk bread and decided I had enough time (I think) today to dedicate to another bread-catastrophe. I never keep milk in the house, but was willing to make a purchase

fresh yeast? Impossible. Went to 4 stores this past week and it's nowhere to be found. Took 3 stores to find quality bread flour. Gas is too expensive for that nonsense.

grams? come on. More work to convert to cups and I don't own a scale. Why weigh food unless you're on a strict diet or like to bake - neither of which apply to me.

In good faith, I tried looking up other recipes, but nowhere to be found is anyone with measurements in cups, or using ingredients found at most grocery stores.

In short, if foodies/bakers want to make baking easy and welcoming to the masses without resorting to breadmakers or other hacks, then they need to look at the reality of food shopping and appliances available. At the very least, provide alternate measurements or ingredients.

/rant.
hello.world.

Comments

• SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    If you'll remember I mentioned that I use 1/4 tsp instant yeast, which is all I keep on hand.
    You use half the amount of fresh yeast for active dry and one third for instant.

The recipe is from Dan Lepard who is from the UK, so the measurements are going to be in weights (and grams),but the truth is that any bread baking book worth its salt will feature weights because it's just a much better way to measure. Aside from accuracy, weights are necessary for baker's percentages, which make bread really easy and which a lot of people prefer.
    Plus it's just much faster and neater to weight 400 grams of flour than scoop out 4 cups of flour. You're seriously selling scales short here (see my thread on measuring). You can easily convert grams to ounces online if you're really in a pinch and then go with 5 oz per cup of flour, if you're really hellbent on using cups (but it will take you longer to mix the ingredients and you'll dirty more dishes).

Truth be told I think a lot of your bread-baking failures stem from not getting enough information. Books like Reinhart's and Stevens' all discuss types of yeast and how to use them and how they work. Bread is easy, but it heps to understand the basic concept of yeast, flour, water, and salt so that you understand why it is you're failing. I find bread flour from King Arthur pretty easy to find, but unbleached all purpose flour won't ruin your bread, especially King Arthur's which is high in protein anyway. If you really wanted to up the gluten content, you could also throw in some wheat gluten which is available at health food stores. But like I said, unbleached all-purpose flour will work just fine if you can't get bread flour.
    I'm not trying to be harsh, but your rant reads like: I want to make bread, but I don't want to even get the basics down. You don't need to know every single detail, but just like you wouldn't start on a cookie recipe if you didn't first understand what creaming is, why wouldn't you get a little info about the ingredients for a loaf of bread?

Edit:
    I also posted this link in that thread, which has measurements converted to ounces and uses instant yeast:
    http://cornerloaf.blogspot.com/2009/05/milk-loaf.html
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    There's nothing you can say that will convince me that bread baking, with yeast, is easy.

That's why it's called a rant, not an "I need help" thread.

Now excuse me while I throw myself dramatically on the ground and bang my feet and arms wildly.
    hello.world.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    webjockey wrote: »
    There's nothing you can say that will convince me that bread baking, with yeast, is easy.

That's why it's called a rant, not an "I need help" thread.

Now excuse me while I throw myself dramatically on the ground and bang my feet and arms wildly.

:lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • StephSStephS Registered Users Posts: 352
    Webbie -

The heat/humidity here makes it even more more difficult to work with yeast. Once we get over 90 degrees, I give up bread baking until the cooler months return!
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    Webbie, making bread with a bread machine is easy! :pl:
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    Webbie, making bread with a bread machine is easy! :pl:

Unless you do what I did and end up with the loaf gluing the lid shut!

Please excuse errors, I'm psoting on my phone ;)
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file