CurlTalk

I need a drugstore gel!

I'm looking for a good drugstore gel that is affordable and offers a good amount.

Do you any of you curly goddesses have any recommendations??I want to find something that doesn't break the bank nor dries out my hair. I hate when a gel has lots of alcohol in it.

And, what is the deal with LA gel? Good stuff? Which one do you use? :flower:

Comments

• SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    I'm looking for a good drugstore gel that is affordable and offers a good amount.

Do you any of you curly goddesses have any recommendations??I want to find something that doesn't break the bank nor dries out my hair. I hate when a gel has lots of alcohol in it.

I use La looks sports gel. I like it. It's alcohol free.
  • XhahaXhaha Posts: 80Registered Users
    Hmmm herbal essences is really good they have a ton of different curly hair gels... Also I John fritas stuff works well!
  • BearBear Posts: 23Registered Users
    Saila wrote: »

I use La looks sports gel. I like it. It's alcohol free.

^ Yup, I use that too. It's cheap and it gets the job done. For me, it's a basic staple.
    fine, 2c
    just doin my wavy thang :glasses1:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbearsfotki" class="Popup
    PW: bayu
  • Angel_FallsAngel_Falls Posts: 13Registered Users
    The blue one? Thanks :)
  • NitemoonNitemoon Posts: 35Registered Users
    My absolute favorite is got2b spiked up. It smells so good and has a lot of hold without drying out your hair. I think it is between $4-$5. :mrgreen:
  • Curl-a-sauras RexCurl-a-sauras Rex Posts: 56Registered Users
    I like the Aussie Volume Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze, or GF Pure&Clean. The Pure&Clean has glycerin pretty high up on the list so it depends on what your dews are at this point in the year.
    2b/c w/a few 3a bits in front, medium-fine texture, dense, normal porosity
    Things that are currently working (mid dews):
    low-poo: Elucence clairfying
    Conditioners: AOHR; YtoCu; CJRM; CJSL; Beautiful Curls leave-in
    styling: Beautiful Curls curl defining gel; CIAB; CJ SG; Aussie instant freeze
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I love HESMU
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I started using La Bella Sports Gel a few weeks ago and I really like it so far. It's alcohol free, CG, easy to find (Target!), and CHEAP ($1.99 20 oz.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I know the ingredients are exactly the same but I think it's fairly comprable to LA Looks Sports Gel.
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbalancedbeauty.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    I use la bella gel, the clear one.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • RobinP92202RobinP92202 Posts: 213Registered Users
    Another vote for the aussie volume gel. I have tried the la sports gel and it gets a little crispy and heavy for my 3b curls.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Robin
    *mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
    *3a shoulder length curls
    *experimenting with the CG method
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I like LA Looks and La Bella. LA Looks gels usually have glycerin, but La Bella gels do not. I am liking the La Bella sport gel lately. I also put HE SMU over everything.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • Angel_FallsAngel_Falls Posts: 13Registered Users
    So I went out and purchased the LA looks blue sport bottle. I love the fact that I get so much for such a great price. I have mid-back length curly hair, so I need lots of product.

Today is the second day that I have put it in my hair. It has a strong hold, and I got second day hair.

I really would love to try the Garnier Pure & Clean, especially since someone mentioned that it had glycerin! I live in Arizona so my hair is always thirsty! :cherry:
  • stefflynhstefflynh Posts: 410Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    I love HESMU

+1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
    RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
    PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
  • suns4i6esuns4i6e Posts: 77Registered Users
    I like the Aussie Volume Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze, or GF Pure&Clean. The Pure&Clean has glycerin pretty high up on the list so it depends on what your dews are at this point in the year.

I agree, especially with the bolded. GF Pure Clean is a really nice non-producty feeling gel.
  • rascalluver11rascalluver11 Posts: 156Registered Users
    I have been looking for the same thing! I dont want my 3b curls weighed down but i also dont want them superrrr corkscrew-y. I think I'll have to pick up a few of these products. FL weather is constantly hot and humid so it make my hair a challenge :/
    :toothy4:Haley<3:toothy4:

3a/b hair, fine texture, medium porosity and volume (ii)!
    Shampoo:Suave Naturals Coconut, YTCarrots, Giovanni 50:50
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish
    Rinse Out: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish, YTCarrots Pampering mud Condish
    Stylers: GF Curl Spray Gel, LA Looks Curl gel, Loreal frizz serum, Tresemme curl mousse, Pantene Spray gel, Biotera curl creme
    ~Live. Laugh. Curly.~
    Do you prefer the gel or spray gel?

Rinse Out: Suave Naturals Coconut Condish, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing condish, YTCarrots Pampering mud Condish
    Stylers: GF Curl Spray Gel, LA Looks Curl gel, Loreal frizz serum, Tresemme curl mousse, Pantene Spray gel, Biotera curl creme
    ~Live. Laugh. Curly.~
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    I have been looking for the same thing! I dont want my 3b curls weighed down but i also dont want them superrrr corkscrew-y. I think I'll have to pick up a few of these products. FL weather is constantly hot and humid so it make my hair a challenge :/

In my experience, it is product application techniques that determine how curly my hair will turn out more so than the product.
    I love corkscrewy curls. To get the most of them, I rinse and scrunch upside down, then I plop. I would advise you to do the opposite.

In my experience, it is product application techniques that determine how curly my hair will turn out more so than the product.
    I love corkscrewy curls. To get the most of them, I rinse and scrunch upside down, then I plop. I would advise you to do the opposite.

I will try scrunching some ;) thank you for the advice!

~Live. Laugh. Curly.~
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    I also like LA Looks Sports and Power Spikes gel. Another favorite is Ecostyler (I like the Super Protein version). I have Ecostyler Argan Oil but I haven't gotten the hang of using that one yet.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Just to follow up with the gals interested in trying the GF Pure & Clean gel, I've been using it for about a week now and LOVING it. It goes on easy to wet or damp hair (depending on how you like applying) has a nice consistency - not too runny and not too goopy. Also it dries with very little crunch....I don't even really have to SOTC when I use it.
    PLUS cheap and easy to find :-)
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Do you prefer the gel or spray gel?
    Gel in the tube for me.

What she said. I rinse (SSM) then scrunch as little as possible, and can only plop when it is very humid.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    Just to follow up with the gals interested in trying the GF Pure & Clean gel, I've been using it for about a week now and LOVING it. It goes on easy to wet or damp hair (depending on how you like applying) has a nice consistency - not too runny and not too goopy. Also it dries with very little crunch....I don't even really have to SOTC when I use it.
    PLUS cheap and easy to find :-)

Out of curiosity what hair type are you? I have fine 3a/b hair that gets easily weighed down. I'm interested in this profit but I don't want producty hair

~Live. Laugh. Curly.~
    I'm a 2C w/medium texture, medium porosity, and high density.
    It doesn't seem like it would weigh you down - it's not any thicker than something like HETT and it seems less "producty" to me then the HE gels.
    I'm a 2C w/medium texture, medium porosity, and high density.
    It doesn't seem like it would weigh you down - it's not any thicker than something like HETT and it seems less "producty" to me then the HE gels.

Okay thank you! I may just have to try it :)

~Live. Laugh. Curly.~
    Cheetara wrote: »
    I also like LA Looks Sports and Power Spikes gel. Another favorite is Ecostyler (I like the Super Protein version). I have Ecostyler Argan Oil but I haven't gotten the hang of using that one yet.

What kind of hold does the super protein version have? Is it thick?

~Live. Laugh. Curly.~