Want to make FSG, but overwhelmed by 400+-post thread. Anyone willing to advise me?

NancyV908NancyV908 Registered Users Posts: 108
Oy.

I'm sorry but the current thread just scares me....I don't mean to be lazy but I'm not sure what the consensus is (if there is one) on a good way to start with FSG, or what recipe people here are favoring these days.

I just want to try it--if I like it, I can always tweak.

Is it enough to just make a plain, basic FSG, or should I start with a few additional ingredients--& if so, which ones? I'd like more definition in the outer layers of my hair (under layers curl nicely), & I'm always fighting frizz.

FYI, my hair feels & looks dry, which I'm confused about. I use lots of protein, which helps with the curl. It doesn't seem to make my hair any dryer, but it started out dry & hasn't improved under the CG regimens I've tried. I do notice that when I DC I get softer, less dry hair but less curl too, which makes me think the protein really is what I need.

Thanks!
My properties
Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.

Comments

• MochachinoMochachino Registered Users Posts: 191
    Here is some information to get you started
    How to Make Flaxseed Hair Gel - wikiHow
    I've got a pair of ruby slippers that I don't wear much anymore
    And if I had the nerve I'd click my heels and return o the wonderland I knew before
    Alana Davis "Crazy"
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    I'd start with the basic recipe first and see how your hair likes it.

Put the flaxseeds in water overnight. Then boil for 2/3 mins thats all until you get a foam covering. Drain through sieve and there you go.

I'd separate it into little containers and freeze all but one which you can keep in the fridge.

Once you start playing around you can add loads of different things. My favorites are:

-xanthan gum which thickens it and makes it easier to separate when applying to your hair
    -agave nectar for shine and hold
    -hempseed/jojoba oil
  • NancyV908NancyV908 Registered Users Posts: 108
    Thank you.

I guess I will just plunge in. I'm interested in adding mag sulfate for curl but unsure if I should b/c of the drying effects, but I guess I should see if I even like the FSG first.

It's great to have so much info here & on the web but I do get overwhelmed!
    My properties

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    YouTube - Do It Yourself: Homemade Natural Hair Gel with Flaxseeds

extras I do:
    strain through a fine mesh strainer, its easier than the pantyhose
    after straining, add a squirt of agave nectar and sometimes a capfull of castor oil
    then whisk with a wire whisk until you get air bubbles
    add your eos and pour in a bottle, its easier to get out than a jar!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
    Thanks, Reeky--great video!

Still haven't made the FSG, LOL--I keep forgetting to soak the seeds. But I will try soon. The video helps a lot.
    My properties

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    I haven't soaked the seeds. This is actually the first time I have heard of that method, and I have read dozens of recipes.
    My biggest problem is I need a proper strainer!
    I would start light on the mag. sulfate, and add a few drops of a moisturizing oil to counteract the drying effect. My hair, even though it is very dry and thirsty, can tolerate quite large amounts of mag. sulfate if I use an oil with it! But some people's hair don't tolerate them well at all, so I would start with a pinch and go from there.
    I made a batch last night.

I did waver, but in the end I decided to do just seeds & water, since it was the first time. The results were....OK. My hair is soft, but the curls are not quite as defined as I've been getting with gels. I think I will need to try again with some mag. sulfate & other add-ins--not ready to give up.

I'm going to post this on the megathread too, but my big issue was handling the gel. I got about a cup, but found that when I tried to scoop out some to put in my hair, it all held together in one gigantic blob. I don't think I put enough on b/c I simply couldn't get much out, unless I was planning to put all of it on my hair. Any suggestions?

FYI: I soaked 1/4 cup seeds in 1 cup water, than added another cup & cooked. I read so much about overcooking that I didn't leave it on too long. It was a little runny but not too bad. I think next time I might stick to the Botticelli Babe proportions, which would be to use half as much water.

Thanks.
    My properties

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    I found an old gel bottle with a removable lid (or any type of bottle like that) to be the easiest way to get the gel out with out slopping it all over.

The basic recipe is more of a curl and clump enhancer, and I found I still needed gel on top or mixed with it to get the hold I needed.
    I added a bit of honey with my last batch and it did provide quite a bit more hold, still not quite enough alone to keep me from getting frizzy and falling flat though, but paired with my LALSG it was super mega hold that would not scrunch out with out the help of some coconut oil. I think I will try the FSG/honey mix and mousse next, that hold should be perfect!
    I actually found that it was much easier to strain and got a thicker gel with more water and less seeds (for me it was anyway!) I could cook it a bit longer than with so many seeds, because there were less seeds for the gel to cling to.
    Thanks. Yes, I put the FSG back on the heat & added honey, & had much better results with my hair. Yesterday I really really saturated it, today not as much, & I have to say yesterday's looked better. I need to experiment with gel too, though.

I will try putting it in a better container, I guess, before I start messing with the water-to-seed ratio. I did like how easy it was to strain so hate to mess that up.
    My properties

• thecurly1thecurly1 Registered Users Posts: 103
    If it helps I make mine like this

1/4 cp golden flax seeds
    1 cp distaled water

I also add a small pinch of mag. sulfate

Then I boil till i get a good string off the wisk when I hold it over sauce pan, strain and add what ever you like

Ive never soaked the seeds, but making it this way takes maybe 5 minutes tops!
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    I break up the clumps by using an emulsion blender.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Neophyte
    I use my agave nectar bottle for my flax seed gel. You can squeeze out as much as you need in your hand. Works great!:blob2:
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file