Help a Newbie 3B!!! Best Hair Products.

RunDivaRunRunDivaRun Posts: 39Registered Users
Hi Folks,

I have been on this site a few times, but never registered until now! So, for those of you that are light years ahead of me, please make this journey easier for me with any of your must haves or thoughts.

I have 3B hair, I think? I have medium length hair. I do color my hair, but I do it sparingly and always close to my natural shade (brown) or darker. I only use semi-permanent dyes with no ammonia and that wash out. I also blow dry and flat iron my hair 1 time a week, sometimes less than that. My curls are thicker on the crown and start to thin at the ends. Some of my curls seem to just straighten out at the ends, maybe because they are thinner than the rest of my hair. I'm on a quest to see how great I can get my curls to be.

I would like to get any recommendations on products that you think are must haves or that I should invest in (shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, gel, etc). I don't want to spend a bunch of money on one product, but if it is an absolute miracle worker, then I'm open to it. Any thoughts in general about my hair type or tips are also welcomed!

Thank you in advance for your help!

RunDivaRun

Comments

• bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    Hi, Diva. I'm new here myself, although I've been CG/modified CG for 7 years. The first thing I learned is that there's still so much I don't know. There's a TON of info here. Come on over to the 3b forum - you may find some of the answers/advice you're looking for. :)
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • RunDivaRunRunDivaRun Posts: 39Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice bluesheep!
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Welcome! I have the same hair issue as you with my curls straightening out at the ends in some places. I believe its from years of heat damage and harsh chemical processing from all the highlights I've gotten professionally.

As far as product recommendations, check out my signature. So far, I love all the products that I use and all of them are cheap--I am talking like $5 for either of the shampoos, $1 for the Suave conditioner, and around $4 for the gel. The only product I have listed that I am not convinced is so great is the Garnier conditioner.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
    Thanks for all of the great info creativelicense! So I've stopped using any shampoo for now, and I didn't have any product for my hair so I just happened to look in my husbands sink cabinet and he had aloe vera gel and I figured it couldn't hurt so I tried it, along with conditioning with suave naturals and I plopped? for the first time! My hair has not looked this good since, well lets just say a looong time! I am so happy! Then I saw your post and I was so happy that I just tried what you suggested in your product recommendations. SO THANK YOU....please keep me posted if you try anything new that you like, such as deep conditioning treatments. Will try to post a picture soon!
    After 2 days No-Poo, Suave Naturals Conditioner, and just Aloe Vera Gel. My hair already looks better. I just have to continue moisturizing my hair so that it is not sooo frizzy and maybe get a trim soon to cut those ends that are straight.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's more helpful to know your hair properties then hair type when choosing products. Here's a thread to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html Look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use and do (most have products in their signatures.)
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kathymack...thank you soooo much for that invaluable info! I now know that my hair is fine and overly porous, which means I better get on those protein treatments, until my hair grows out in better condition. Thanks again!!!
    I think you're on the right track. Getting rid of the damaged parts is a good idea. A good haircut is the foundation to everything else.

My hair is fine and low porosity. It's never met a protein it didn't like. I do at least one PT most of the year and two frequently during the summer. I also use a lot of products that contain protein. It's all about getting the protein/moisture balance correct.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ariesdeacariesdeac Posts: 35Registered Users
    Avoid silicones, alcohol, sulfates, and parabens in all hair products. Consider checking out Moptop because they're alcohol, sulfate, and silicone free. As for type of products, you definitely need a good leave in, a deep conditioner (use once a week or so) a curl shaper/definer and an anti-frizz gel.
    Hair type 2c/3a
    Silk pillowcase
    t shirt for drying hair
    Shampoo-DevaCurlNo Poo
    Conditioner-DevaCurl One Condition and MopTop Leave-It-In Conditioner
    Gel-Fuzzy Duck Anti-Frizz Gel
    Spray-DevaCurl Set it Free, MopTop Detangler & Refresher
    Second Day Hair Products-DevaCurl Set it Free, MopTop Detangler & Refresher

Katie
  • LexLionessLexLioness Posts: 70Registered Users
    I have fine, low/med porosity 3b hair. What works for me is cowashing, leave in conditioner (I actually just leave in my conditioner from the shower), and flax seed gel. The gel does wonders, and it's SUPER cheap to make!

As far as DT's, I usually will try to do a PT once every two weeks, and I will use my favorite product ever - Burt's Bees Avocado hair treatment - for my DT's once a week. Eggs and my hair are great friends :)

I've been hearing great things about avocado oil but haven't tried it yet.
    type 3a/b, baby fine to medium, normal to high porosity except the canopy which is high.
    -
    recently chopped off about 4" - HOW LIBERATING!!! Learning to love my hair again instead of hating it for being a knotty mess.
    Thank you ladies! Great Info!

I did a deep protein treatment last night and so far so good. I have only been using aloe vera on my hair for now, so if you have any favorite leave-in conditioners or curl definers/gels that you use that you think might work on my type of hair (fine, porous) I am open to suggestions!

Oh and thank you for the info on the oils and the mop top products....any out there better than the next?
    My hair is fine/low porosity--I'd recommend any of the products in my signature for you to try.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just made an appt. to see "the curl whisperer" aka "struttswife" at the Live Curly Live Free Salon. I'll be traveling to Florida on the second leg of my vacation and since I've barely started going CG, I will be able to get a nice base cut at the beginning of my journey and some much needed education.

Does anyone know if you can get Miss Jessie's or Curl Junkie products at any retail stores?
    I think Tiffany has Curl Junkie products. I'd stay away from Miss Jessies, it's expensive and they use cheap ingredients like mineral oil. It's available at Target at this point.

You can check/compare ingredients at Curl Mart.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • helena.garcihelena.garci Posts: 1Registered Users
    RunDivaRun wrote: »
    After 2 days No-Poo, Suave Naturals Conditioner, and just Aloe Vera Gel. My hair already looks better. I just have to continue moisturizing my hair so that it is not sooo frizzy and maybe get a trim soon to cut those ends that are straight.

hey it is Helena do not cut those straight ends i have curly hair just like you if you keep cutting those straight ends they wont curl and your hair will stay short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing
  • Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    Welcome!! :)
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT