Keeping hair straight

great_curlsgreat_curls Posts: 29Registered Users
I would like to wear my hair straight sometimes but it doesn't want to stay straight. My bangs wing out (not pretty) and it just gets frizzy, especially if there is any humidity in the air. I've used frizz serums etc. but nothing I have tried works. My hair is really dry prone and frizz prone. Are there any products I can try that may work or is this just how my hair is and I have to accept that?

Comments

• ninja_stefninja_stef Posts: 42Registered Users
    Hey!
    Without knowing much about your hair, the only thing I can do is give you advice on what works for my hair.
    I wore my hair straight for about 5 and 1/2 years, and I realized that my 3B hair was just NOT going to get straight enough to wear down on the first day.

I would straighten it as much as it would go at night, then sleep on it. They next morning I would straighten it again, and it would get a little bit straighter, but still not enough to wear down so it went up in a ponytail. I'd repeat the straightening when I got home from school, and then again before I went to bed. Usually by the second day it would be straight enough to wear down, and it would behave pretty well unless it was summer. The humidity here is so atrocious that it was simply impossible to go a whole day without a little frizz. I would wear my hair straight for at least 4 to 5 days before I washed it, straightening any wonky pieces every morning.

I must warn you that this is an incredibly damaging process, and that by the end of 5 years my hair would get straight, but it'd be so dry and I had so many split ends (no matter how often I trimmed it) that I didn't even want to wear it down.

I'm trying to attach a picture (I hope it works!) of my hair pretty straight on Easter 2009. At that point in time the only thing I used was the Chi heat protectant and some garnier fructis sleek and shine hair serum with my GVP flat iron. Good luck, and straighten safely!
    My routine:
    • Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    • Rinse Out: Suave Coconut & Honey
    • Cold Water Rinse
    • Leave-In: Suave Naturals Coconut
    • Scrunch in a dab of olive oil
    • Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
    • Plop for 45 min. to an hour
    • Clip and air dry
    • When nearly dry, pineapple for a few minutes, then SOTC
    I'm just a 3a/3b curly teen trying to manage the crazy humidity in MS!
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    I would like to wear my hair straight sometimes but it doesn't want to stay straight. My bangs wing out (not pretty) and it just gets frizzy, especially if there is any humidity in the air. I've used frizz serums etc. but nothing I have tried works. My hair is really dry prone and frizz prone. Are there any products I can try that may work or is this just how my hair is and I have to accept that?

1. What is your hair type? ( i.e. 4a, 2c, 3b?)
    2. What is your straightening method? Flat iron? roller set?
    3. What products are you using when straightening your hair? ( i.e. frizz ease, sabino moisture block?)
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • great_curlsgreat_curls Posts: 29Registered Users
    Thanks for your responses. I guess that is what I am trying to figure out, whether my hair can stay straight in humid weather.

My hair is 3a/3b and very frizz prone and dry without product.

I was planning on using a flat iron and I am not sure about products to use. I don't think the sabino moisture block will work because I tried flat ironing just my bangs before in the summer with this stuff and they still went wonky. The ends would wing out and it looked ridiculous. So I am not sure what products would work for me, wondering if anything would. I was hoping to get some help with that. Are there any products that work really well in keeping the hair from reverting for someone whose hair is like mine so frizz prone and curly.
  • slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    I have that same problem but I also don't straighten very often so my hair isn't used to it. I do find that flat ironing it before bed works best because it doesn't have to be perfect and then some of the natural oils get distributed over night which helps take away some of the frizz (I only use aveda's smooth infusion style prep or an argan oil prior to flat ironing). Then I touch up with the flat iron in the morning. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in this look, but the other thing I sometimes do in the morning is take a 1 inch curling iron or a curl rod and just curling random sections so it has a little more wave in it but is still very smooth and sleek looking since it had been flat ironed the night before. I find this combo gives me a polished look without having to worry about every hair being perfect or staying straight all day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
    I like the curling iron idea! You know what I actually don't mind if my hair doesn't stay exactly straight. If it started to form waves I would actually prefer that over totally straight but in humidity and such, it frizzes which is not pretty.

Can I ask do you apply your products when your hair is wet and then wait for it to dry and then flat iron?
  • slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    Yes, I apply my products wet and then either blow dry or air dry before I flat iron. BTW, if I blow dry, I don't use a brush since that's so damaging to use on wet naturally curly hair as you know! My stylist taught me that curly hair flat irons best right over the curls once they are dry. Could be over clean or dirty hair, doesn't matter. Sometimes I'll use my usual styling products for a curly day and then that night will just flat iron over it, go to bed and then use the curling iron in the morning. I'll use just a touch of a shine spray (I like eufora's illuminating mist but citrus chine at the DS makes a good one, too). It does have some cones in it but I just spray one spritz onto the palm of my hand and then distribute only to sections that need it.

Here's a pic of how it looks after I add the curling iron. You can see I'll usually let a few of the front layers have a good curl and then I'll just go over it quickly in the back, just for a few seconds in each section so it smooths the hair and adds a little natural wave. Hope this works for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
  • SamiAnnieSamiAnnie Posts: 1Registered Users
    My hair is 3a/b. Here's what I do, and it'll last a few days.. longer if I wanted it to, but by then it gets way too flat for me.

I always straighten my hair at night. I wash it with Redkin Smooth Down Shampoo/Conditioner. I then use Redkin Iron Repair, focusing on the ends. Then, I use a LOT of Bumble & Bumble straight. I try to let my hair air dry, but if I don't have enough time, I just blow dry it, and it's ginormous and crazy. I use a CHI iron to straighten it. When I go to sleep, I put a ponytail way on the top of my head, and when I wake up in the morning, I just have to do some slight touch ups. By doing it this way, it gets a couple straightenings before I walk out the door. Then on that night, I can put my hair up and when I wake up, I just brush and go. Usually on the final day, I'll just wear my hair in a pony or something.

I probably only do this once every couple months or when I'm getting bored and need to mix it up a little. But, it works really well for me!
    Your hair looks so pretty slivola! You have such beautiful hair!

SammieAnne how does your straightened hair react in humidity?

I was watching some youtube videos on flat ironing curly hair and a lot of them combed the sections out first before flat ironing. I guess I'll see how this works for me. I've never flat ironed my hair before. I just don't want it to be too flat because I don't like flat hair on me and much prefer a voluminous look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file