Black dye... oy

Jmars718Jmars718 Registered Users Posts: 3
Hey all, I wanted to dye my hair one color to cover up some of my faded highlights. My hair is naturally black so I picked up a semi-perm, lighter shade of black. Of course, it came out darker than I expected but it's not horrible since I already had black hair.

My problem is that after I had dyed it, I started to google how long it takes for a semi-perm dye to wash out. Googling after the fact is a bad idea because it's making me paranoid.

I started reading all of these horror stories about how if you dye your hair black, even with a semi-perm, your natural color will never come back and you've probably damaged your hair for good.

Like I said, it's only a shade darker than my natural color and I'm pretty confident it will be unnoticeable when the roots grow in, but I just wanted to see if my paranoia is justified or not. Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    I really wouldn't worry about it. I have naturally black hair too (well, black coffee color) and I dye my hair with the darkest natural tone brown dye - which comes out almost blue-black, but fades to the coffee color. Sometimes I'll do a demi-permanant color all-over to refresh the depth, and at first it's DARK DARK DARK, but usually fades to the coffee color just fine. And I only CO wash too. So if you did smi-perm, I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • Jmars718Jmars718 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Ahhh, thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. Yeah, it's not bad and I was admittedly stupid for googling after the fact.

I think it has already faded a bit from day one, so hopefully by the end of the week it will be closer to my natural black.
  • jbaybayyjbaybayy Registered Users Posts: 38
    I agree...the black should fade. I used to color my hair black and it would fade to brown really fast, and I used permanent! I have lighter hair than you, but I still think it will fade. Don't worry!

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
  • wendi.wendywendi.wendy Registered Users Posts: 174
    My daughter has medium brown hair -- definitely nowhere near dark brown or black -- and uses semi-perm black dye. Her natural color always comes back, so I wouldn't worry. :thumbleft:
    ~ Wendi in IL
    3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
    CG since March 2010
    Co-Wash: V05, Suave or Cure Care
    Low Poo: Desert Essence
    Condish: GVP Balm, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening

Leave-In: Cure Care, KCKT
    Styler: SS FHG, Re-Coil, LALSG, BRHG

• Jmars718Jmars718 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you all so much, you're easing my worries about it never going away. I had dark hair to begin with but now I'm feeling a little Wednesday Adams-ish. I can't wait til it fades lol.
  • RunDivaRunRunDivaRun Registered Users Posts: 39
    Dyed my hair with a black semi permanent dye a few weeks ago and it's already starting to fade....so no worries, girlfriend!
  • JaqiJaqi Registered Users Posts: 75
    i am not 100% but i think that altho you're safe in that it should nearly all wash our eventually, it may stick to the highlighted section on your hair. i had highlights also, not many, but enough that when i had decided to grow them out by using a semi every few months until i had my natural colour back, i saw that the semi washed out completely on my unlighted sections, but clung & faded to a chocolate colour on the bleached part of my hair. my hair is naturally a light brown so it isn't too much of a contrast for me.

Modified CG Lowpoo X1 a week
    2B/Med porosity/Med texture
    Low Poo:GTTT
    Cowash:Vo5 Tea Therapy
    RO:AOHRS
    DT: Darcy's Botanicals PS
    Jessicurl WDT
    Shea Moisture RCM
    Stylers:Boots Pink/Dr.Bronners Style Creme
    L.A Cashmere Curls Gel

I DT once a week (over night), & I do a ACV rince once a month.

:love2:

Snapshot_20100709_11-1.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file