Cheap Conditioner for Sensitive Skin

rayrayrayray Posts: 1Registered Users
I recently started the no-poo method and it was going good until my ears and face start itching from the using the Suave Natural Tropical Coconut conditioner even though it claimed it was hypoallergenic.I tried to make sure the stuff didn't get on my ears or skin by using a shower cap but I still was itchy and eventually got a dry patch on the side of my face.
I tried looking for conditioners without 'cones but either they were expensive,would irritate my skin,or had 'cones in it.My hair's so dry and bad-looking now,but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a good conditioner.Does anyone know/tried a good,cheap conditioner without any silicones that won't irritate my skin or a homemade conditioner?

:flower::duckie:
:bunny:
Blond
Mid-back length
Holy Grails: John Frieda Frizz Ease & Finesse Touchables Mousse

Comments

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    I had to stop using suave coconut co last winter because of itchy bumps. Too bad, I liked that co as a rinse out too. A lot of people have itchies with that particular product. Some of those people can use VO5 with no problem - just as cheap, lots of kinds to try, strawberry seems popular. Any given product can cause an individual to have probs, depending on their particular chemisty. Even different products of the same brand might work fine. I've read that protein in a cowash (massaged against scalp) is good to avoid for sensitive skin. Other cheap conditioners might be fine for you - Sally's cure care (fragrance-free, loaded with protein), Lustrasilk (at Sally's usually, very moisturizing, probably better for a RO than a CW, I like Shea Mango for RO and LI), tresemme naturals, VO5, white rain (esp at dollar store), etc.

I went the super-sensitive route for cowashing and am very glad I did. I only cowash my scalp, rinse well, then use a different rinse out. I cowash with either CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser (fav) or Free & Clear Conditioner. I often pre-soak my scalp with vinegar or mix in sugar for a scrub - these amp up the cleaning, vinegar calms. Mixing in sugar or vinegar (one wash's worth) also makes the product last longer (cheaper). I've also soaked and washed my scalp with the goo strained from a about a Tbs oats soaked in 2 cups hot water (dunno how well it cleaned, but it did sooth my scalp). I bet a cowash could also be stretched out with glycerin or corn syrup, as these are often added to poos and cos. Always do homespun concoctions in small batches in their own container because of bacteria and fungal issues.

There is a sale on CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser at Walgreens right now - 12 oz for 10.99 (not uber cheap, but cheaper than many rinse-outs, esp considering it is 12oz). Cheaper online.
    CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Ingredients (CG cowash)
    Purified Water , Glycerin , Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol , Ceramide 3 , Ceramide 6-II , Ceramide 1 , Hyaluronic Acid , Cholesterol , Polyoxyl 40 Stearate , Glyceryl Monostearate , Stearyl Alcohol , Polysorbate 20 , Potassium Phosphate , Dipotassium Phosphate , Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate , Cetyl Alcohol , Disodium EDTA , Phytosphingosine , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Carbomer , Xanthan Gum

Free & Clear Co is around $7 for 12 oz. Have only found online.
    Ingredients - Free & Clear Conditioner (CG):
    purified water, dicetyldimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, propylene glycol, ceteareth-20, tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E),panthenol, potassium sorbate, and citric acid.

also fyi -
    Ingredients - Free & Clear Shampoo (CG lowpoo) - New Formulation:
    purified water, lauryl glucoside, coco glucoside, acrylates copolymer, disodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, glycerin, sucrose cocoate, panthenol, pentylene glycol, 1,2-hexanediol, sodium cocoyl glutamate, disodium EDTA, caprylyl glycol, sodium hydroxide, sodium chloride

The Spritz and Condition method or putting olive or coconut oil in the hair (1tsp or +++) 1 hr or more prior to washing is very effective for re-moisturizing hair. If you find a cheap conditioner that is not moisturizing enough for a rinse out, you can add honey, agave nectar, or oil (others have had success with adding oil, I have not, safflower and sunflower are the least irritating, olive and coconut can penetrate hair). Sometimes dryness is really too little or too much protein. Also, often dry-looking hair is really hair with product build up - a vinegar rinse (1-2 Tbs per 1c water) and using less leave-in will address this.

Good luck!
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file