HELP with Rejuvenating Curls

PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
Hey guys...A month ago I had to straighten my hair for a photo-shoot (with a flat iron) and it was extremely straight.

Straight is not as luxurious as curls but....

I've been slowly getting my curls back with each co-wash. Any suggestions that are natural and don't require heat tools so my curls come back healthy if I ever need to straighten again?

Princeton Brooke
Chief Software Engineer
http://apps.facebook.com/princetonbrooke

Comments

• JysonJyson Posts: 18Registered Users
    Not 100% sure but I would say maybe deep condition your hair with something that has protein in it. Hope this helps!
    - Jason
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    I'll see if there's a Keratin protein deep conditioner but hopefully it won't have formaldehyde lol

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try sleep conditioning. :)

Deep condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner overnight. Uncomfy? True. Helpful? Mhmm.

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • creoleadoniscreoleadonis Posts: 3Registered Users
    Protein deep conditioners are best for that....the aphogee two step treatment or even just 2 raw eggs is good for hair you think is heat damaged. When your hair is wet you can see if you have damage by looking for straight or looser than normal curls.

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
    I do overnight oil treatments but I'll try the deep conditioner overnight.

Yes there are pieces that are kinda straight. Will they ever go back to a tight curl?

Thanks everybody!

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well I'm newly natural. (3 months haaaaay!) but when I BC'd all of my hair was straight as if I had been electricuted. So I was told to deep condition overnite....I call it sleep conditioning.

But it did help my curls to form BIG TIME. I tried the Aphogee treatment and it didn't help my curls at all. It DID burn my eyes. The jury is still out tho if the front of my hair is heat damaged. And if so that's cool, I kinda like how it waves up. Lol!

HTH

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • openseasonopenseason Posts: 63Registered Users
    SheaButter + Honey = Great Curl Definition!!!
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl Junkie Repair Me! is an amazing protein treatment, as conditioner as well so you don't need a DC after. I use it when I go back to curly from straight or when I need to perk my curls up. The straighter pieces may not go back to a tight curl but it should help some. Next time you straighten (or need to have a stylist do it), try to do it on a lower temp (highest 400 degrees) and make sure they use heat protectant (usually one with silicones). Also, see if they can flat iron your curly hair rather than use a blow dryer AND flat iron. When I flat iron my hair, I twist it first and let those dry, then iron from there so I'm not doubling up on heat.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    What is a twist??

Thanks I will look into the SheaButter

Princeton Brooke
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coconut oil always does it for my hair. As soon as I put it in my curls perk up.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Coconut oil makes my hair straight but I'll try it differently maybe I'll wash it out right after putting it in.

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PRINCETON wrote: »
    What is a twist??

Thanks I will look into the SheaButter

Princeton Brooke

Twists like two strand twists - YouTube - Twist/Twist Out Tutorial on Natural Hair

I do them like that, but if I'm just going to straighten my hair I make them bigger so they take less time to do.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    LOL when U said "twist" I thought U meant something different. You can look at the other topic I created to see the picture of my hair the way I thought you meant. Anyhow it was good advice :)

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Posts: 151Registered Users
    I know this is super late but I would suggest maybe getting a curl activating gel and scrunching you hair? Sort of like girls with wavy hair who put mousse in their hair and scrunch it to make it curly. What is your hair type? Mine is 3C and goes back curly with a drop of moisture after having it straighten. I'm thinking yours is more of a 3a I think since it seems very changeable and easily stylable. The idea that I'm having is maybe if you can get it back to its curly state it will "remember" or get use to it and stay that way even after you wash it out. When my hair was shorter it was wavy not curly and I had to ass activators to make it curly and I noticed after I washed it out..some areas went back wavy while others still had a curl. Idk if this helps or not but it may be worth a shot. If it doesn't go back curly soon then it was probably damaged badly with the flat iron(that happened to me once).

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
    Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
    Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW
    I honestly don't know which type I have as I'm able to get any type of wave or curl I want by using different products and changing styling methods.

I don't like to scrunch because it does promote curls but it tangles the hair a lot.

I found out that my straight parts are harder to curl cause I usually brush them a lot. When I wear curls all week theyre are no more straight parts. I'm learning to only wear curls but I like to slick back a lot.

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file