Dandruff?!!!

dirtyprettythingsdirtyprettythings Posts: 6Registered Users
I have terrible dandruff & ever since I went natural you can see it more. Idk if I'm not getting enough of something in my diet or what but is there anything I can do to get rid of or better manage my dandruff??

Thanks!

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    What types of products are you using?

Are you co-washing to add moisture to your hair and scalp?

If so, then you can try washing your hair with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo, that helps some.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • dirtyprettythingsdirtyprettythings Posts: 6Registered Users
    Well my first round of products are: Abba moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. I use a shea butter/jojoba/water mix as a prepoo. I also use shea butter as a leave in.
    I cowash 4x a week. I use hello hydration for my cowash.

But I'm really not used to handling my hair so I don't think I always get to the scalp. My hair is ridiculously thick.

I heard about ACV rinse but I wasn't sure.
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Try co-washing ( which is washing the scalp and hair with just conditioner) it'll add moisture; so you won't be too prone in having dandruff or dry hair.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    Several things:

1. You need to find out the cause of your dandruff. Is it just very dry scalp? ezcema? some other dermatitis? The answer to that will help with the treatment.

2. You use a lot of heavy butters on your hair. Butters seal in moisture but are you using a water-based product to continually add moisture?

3. Doesn't hello hydration contain silicone? Maybe you need to clarify your scalp? I can't remember what kind of surfactant the ABBA has, but think about clarifying. if you think you need to.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    My mom has severe dry scalp here are some natural treatments i recommended to her that have worked for her.

ACV rinses were mentioned before. She said they worked very well however she said that it stinks and feels like the smell doesn't dissipate fast enough and she feels self conscience about it.

Tea rinses. Steep 1 oz herbs/tea Sage, rosemary or chamomile in 1 cup of water. Allow the mixture to cool then pour over hair after washing. My mom said that this worked and didn't smell like the acv however that the ACV did seem to work better as a treatment.

She has also rubbed aloe gel onto her scalp between washes to soothe her scalp.

try these out and let me know if any work for you.
    sagehen wrote: »
    Several things:

1. You need to find out the cause of your dandruff. Is it just very dry scalp? ezcema? some other dermatitis? The answer to that will help with the treatment.

2. You use a lot of heavy butters on your hair. Butters seal in moisture but are you using a water-based product to continually add moisture?

3. Doesn't hello hydration contain silicone? Maybe you need to clarify your scalp? I can't remember what kind of surfactant the ABBA has, but think about clarifying. if you think you need to.

Are there any water based products you'd recommend?

& thank you for the tips! :)
    My mom has severe dry scalp here are some natural treatments i recommended to her that have worked for her.

ACV rinses were mentioned before. She said they worked very well however she said that it stinks and feels like the smell doesn't dissipate fast enough and she feels self conscience about it.

Tea rinses. Steep 1 oz herbs/tea Sage, rosemary or chamomile in 1 cup of water. Allow the mixture to cool then pour over hair after washing. My mom said that this worked and didn't smell like the acv however that the ACV did seem to work better as a treatment.

She has also rubbed aloe gel onto her scalp between washes to soothe her scalp.

try these out and let me know if any work for you.

I will def. be trying the tea rinse. I was kinda skeptical about trying the ACV for the reasons you stated haha. Thank you!!
    sagehen wrote: »
    Several things:

Are there any water based products you'd recommend?

& thank you for the tips! :)
    You are going to think I am being facetious, but what's wrong with water? I do wash and goes, so maybe this won't work for you if you do twist-outs and the like to wear your hair out, but I spritz daily with a mixture of water and water-based leave-in condish (YTCucumbers at the moment) If you wash and go or wear twists or braids this will work. I spritz the mixture until my hair is moist but not dripping, then apply some butter or oil to seal it in.

Also, do you drink enough water and get enough fiber / fatty acids in your diet? This will work on the problem internally. A lot of skin problems are related to toxin elimination from your body and the above will assist that.

Also, when you wash, make sure to concentrate on your scalp, as this will help to stimulate circulation and remove the buildup of sebum. Also, try using an oil-based pre-poo on your scalp and massaging that in, then letting it set for several minutes before you shampoo. This will help break up the plaque on your scalp (sesame oil is very good for this) and make removing it while shampooing easier, and it will help keep the shampoo from drying out your scalp.
    4a/3c curls
    Team Wash and Go!
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I suffer from dry scalp. I find co washing and keeping your scalp moisturuzed with natural oils helps a lot
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
      Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
      Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
      6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
    • FabledBeautyFabledBeauty Posts: 145Registered Users
      I have retardedly thick hair as well and when I saw dandruff start to sneak up on me, what works is taking an applicator bottle and putting an oil of choice, for me it was sweet almond oil and putting in some drops of pure tea tree oil ( because dandruff is caused by bacteria and tea tree is perfect at fighting it ) and applying it straight to your scalp and the applicastor tip weaves through hair beautifully and the oil itself will spread over your scalp so dont get tooo slap happy with it! Hope this helps:occasion5:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Getting there slowly but surely!

Natural Since the Beginning of January 2011!:headbang:
      Current: Full Collar Bone
      Texture: 3B/C & 4A
      Goal: APL by New Years 2013 :afro:

See my Natural Journey on Fotki: www.fotki.com/fabledbeauty

Current Favs<3 Taaliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Vegetable Glycerin and Pure Argan Oil!!!
      I have retardedly thick hair as well and when I saw dandruff start to sneak up on me, what works is taking an applicator bottle and putting an oil of choice, for me it was sweet almond oil and putting in some drops of pure tea tree oil ( because dandruff is caused by bacteria and tea tree is perfect at fighting it ) and applying it straight to your scalp and the applicastor tip weaves through hair beautifully and the oil itself will spread over your scalp so dont get tooo slap happy with it! Hope this helps:occasion5:
      This is great advice. I do this for my pre-poo using almond or sesame oil.
      4a/3c curls
      Team Wash and Go!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file