Ethnicity/race question

TanyaJoleneTanyaJolene BannedPosts: 85Banned Users
There is a heated debate going on at a soap board I post at over this actress' ethnic/racial background. YouTube - Save Me From Myself I think it's a little funny that so many people are insisting she isn't black. I don't think she looks black either but looks don't always indicate what ethnic or racial background one has (I'm a good example of that.).

Her name is Terri Ivens and her character, Simone, has a black dad ( who is in the first scene on the video) and Hispanic mother (mother is never shown). The fight is over including her on a youtube tribute to black actors. Apparently, her racial/ethnic background aren't given anywhere. Like I said, I think it is a little foolish... She's not even on AMC any longer, but if she played a character who identifies as black/Hispanic, like she did, why wouldn't she be included? A lot of the posters think she appears Asian and are pretty insistent about it, so she be left off or put on the Asian actors' tribute. A thread on the general hair board about ethnicity prompted me to post this here, to get some outside opinions. What do you think?

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The ethnicity of the character she plays on the show shouldn't really have any bearing.

Personally, I've never heard of her and couldn't begin to guess what her ethnic background might be. But maybe the person who is producing the tribute, knows what it is.

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if she played a character who identifies as black/Hispanic, like she did, why wouldn't she be included?
    I don't see what that would have to do with it. Actors play characters of different ethnic backgrounds than their own all the time. The tribute is to black actors/actresses, not black characters.

I can't guess her ethnicity either.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • TanyaJoleneTanyaJolene Banned Posts: 85Banned Users
    The poster of the tribute pages isn't involved yet, I don't think. I guess she posts occasionally on the Soapnet board. She started a thread asking for suggestions to add to the pages. Somone asked her to include the actress on the black page, and that's where the trouble started. I hope she sees it before the thread gets deleted since Soapnet has really strict moderation.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    if she played a character who identifies as black/Hispanic, like she did, why wouldn't she be included?
    I don't see what that would have to do with it. Actors play characters of ethnic backgrounds than their own all the time. The tribute is to black actors/actresses, not black characters.

I can't guess her ethnicity either.

Someone on a fan page who claims to have grown up with Terri Ivens says she is biracial as there was a query about her background there - I'm guessing that's why people want her included on the page, but I don't know how reliable the information is.

Since I watched the show during much of the time Simone was on, I guess I see her as black, esp. since the few family members the character had on the show were black - I look at it from that perspective (tho yeah, I understand it's about the actress).
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What do you think?
    I'm not sure what you're asking about. Do you want us to guess her ethnic background?
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    What do you think?
    I'm not sure what you're asking about. Do you want us to guess her ethnic background?

LOL

• sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    Eh? This is stupid. Some genes show up more than others. To me, she doesn't look Asian. She just looks plain Hispanic to me. A lot of Hispanic people have Amerindian blood, which explains why she looks Mongoloid. She doesn't look like any of the Eastern Asian people that I know. Maybe Filipinos with Spanish blood. I've seen Hispanic and Black people who look like her, so I really don't get this TBH.

Meh, as an "anthropologist" I'm so sick of people trying to label the human species into little categories.
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
    What do you think?

LOL

No, I just don't understand the exclusionary feelings a lot of people have about race. I'm not seeing why it's such a big deal or a heated issue one way or the other.
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i'm kind of confused.
    are they saying that she shouldn't play a biracial actress because she doesn't look biracial?
    is the counter argument that she IS in fact biracial therefore able to play someone biracial?
    in the 1950's version of imitation of life, a white actress played a biracial person.
    in the movie showboat, a white actress played a colored person.
    so she could play a biracial person even if she is not biracial.
    if you're arguing whether or not she's biracial or if biracial people really can look like her, just google some biracial folks that look white and post their pics.
    ex.
    quincy jones' daughter rashida
    rashida_jones_image__2_.jpg

wentworth miller
    wentworth_miller_10.jpg
    hth
    oh, and in the 80's a woman who looked white, considered herself white and wanted to declare herself white was denied so in court:

the susan gilroy case

it is an example of the one drop rule.
    glad to hear that the public is finally moving away from this system.
    if they consider a biracial person "white" don't argue with them, it's progress!
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    Mmmmm wentworth miller. Yum.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

Ahhh, I knew I should've linked to the thread before the inevitable pull. I can link the tribute pages though.

Frau - no the main debate was if there is no undeniable proof the actress is black IRL, she should not be included in the tribute. Same with the Asian tribute as some posters believe she is white.

Added just because:

YouTube - Daytime's Black Actresses Part 1

YouTube - Daytime's Black Actresses Part 2

YouTube - An Asian In Daytime: Tribute to Asian Actors On Soaps
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Frau, your pic of Wentworth Miller is not showing up for me. Could you fix that immediately? Thx!!

I have a white co-worker. Her husband is a dark-skinned black man. They have two children. Their daughter has medium dark skin and 3C hair, while their son has light skin, blue eyes, and straight hair. I try not to make assumptions anymore about what biracial people "should" look like.
    ehLB.jpg
    Here's some Wentworth Miller to feast on:Wentworth_Miller_0054.jpg
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Kitt Shapiro (left), Eartha Kitt's daughter:
    _778199_eartha_kitt_shapiro_afp300.jpg
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

frau wrote: »
    in the 1950's version of imitation of life, a white actress played a biracial person.
    I wouldn't use movies from the '50s to set guidelines for who can play characters of certain races...
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    frau wrote: »
    I wouldn't use movies from the '50s to set guidelines for who can play characters of certain races...

Did you know that Mickey Rooney is Japanese?
    In search of a lost signature...
    ursula wrote: »
    Did you know that Mickey Rooney is Japanese?
    LOL, I would hate that movie anyway, but that clinches it.
    He is? Are you being facetious?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

In Breakfast at Tiffany's, he plays a ludicrously racist stereotype of a Japanese man.

Here's a scene with him

No, I was joking. He played a character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" that was a pretty horrible Japanese caricature.
    And just an addendum: I guess I don't know for sure that Mickey Rooney isn't part Asian. Rob Schneider played a very similar yellowface character in a movie that came out a couple of years ago, and he's part Asian. Kind of unbelievable to think that that sort of thing can still be relevant today.
    ursula wrote: »

No, I was joking. He played a character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" that was a pretty horrible Japanese caricature.
    Oh, I figured you were referring to that character.

Yeah, I knew Rob Schneider was half Asian, as is Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Phoebe Cates. Kate Beckinsale is 1/8 (or 1/4?) Burmese.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

sarah42 wrote: »
    Frau, your pic of Wentworth Miller is not showing up for me. Could you fix that immediately? Thx!!

sorry, can't fix it since it works okay for me. here is the link!
    i can't see the other pic of wentworth miller that phoenix posted.

@eilonwy, i think my movies are a great example. if white women can play black women, for sure that woman can play a black person.
    Wentworth Miller looks JUST like my friend's boyfriend's best friend in high school. He was also biracial - I don't think Wentworth looks white at all.

This guy (the friend) was considered to be kind of skeazy/yuck (which is funny cause I always had a mad crush on him). Of course, he was a drug seller, so...
    Frau - no the main debate was if there is no undeniable proof the actress is black IRL, she should not be included in the tribute. Same with the Asian tribute as some posters believe she is white.

i agree! lol, sorry.
    [rolleyes]she don't look black.[/ghettogirlwithattitude]
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just feel like this is a good place to post a picture of Tyson Beckford (biracial fashion model). You're welcome.

tyson_beckford_02.jpg
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cheetara wrote: »
    I just feel like this is a good place to post a picture of Tyson Beckford (biracial fashion model). You're welcome.

tyson_beckford_02.jpg

Oh yum.my! Thank you, that is all I have to contribute to this discussion.
  • coilypoocoilypoo Posts: 36Registered Users
    Umm, why is it so important for Americans to know soneone's race? (Im American too)

We ALL came from Africa we are all black nd we all are human beings. Scientifically there's no basis for race. Genetically or physically. For example there are native Filipino's with dark skin and kinky hair, and what about Australian Aboringines(sp?).
    Less than 1% of or DNA makes up or appearance.
    loc'd since 1998 :faroah:
    BC'd Sept. 09, 2009 :afro:
    2nd BC April, 20, 2011
    head full of the tiniest (penspring or smaller) coils, fine, thin to normal density.
    Poo: African black soap
    Condish: AOHSR, AOGPB, Giovanni SAS
    Leavein: Giovanni LI, veg glycerin, coconut oil, jojoba,

yumxsl8ae.png
    coilypoo wrote: »
    Umm, why is it so important for Americans to know soneone's race? (Im American too)

We ALL came from Africa we are all black nd we all are human beings.
    It's important because race is a major organizing classification in US society.

The way race is defined in the US, being Black is not the same as being descended from Africans. Also, being Black is an important part of many people's identities and experiences, and that shouldn't be ignored.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file