CurlTalk

4a's and wash n'goes.

NaturallyBriafulNaturallyBriaful Posts: 72Registered Users
Is there any 4a's here who only do wash n goes? I love my texture so much but the shrinkage is unbearable how do you guys wear your hair?

Comments

• pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    Hi! My hair is about 4 inches stretched, and at this length, wash and goes are my staple style. I co wash, then condition, and section hair with leave in, and smooth in a styler (usually a gel- getting up the nerve to try curl creams) I love WNG. I hear that as my hair gets longer, I won't be able to do this as much, so I am enjoying it now. I can usually get three day hair, and if I push it to a fourth, I slick the front down and put a headband on.
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I do WnG sometimes, but my hair is getting too long for that (IMO) and tangles very easily. My hair is APL, but shrinks up to my neck in certain areas. I pretty much just deal with it, make sure I moisturize my hair daily and make sure I put it away when I work out and go to sleep. I'm able to get 3-4 day hair out of a WnG.

Other times I do a twist out.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
    I'm exclusively WNG fro and have been for several years. My hair is cottony, dense and fine; looks about 2.5 inches long, but is actually closer to 8 inches straightened.

It defies every styling scenario but ultra tiny twists (and even then I get minimal hang). I take a little off the sides and back sometimes in the summer, but basically I just let it do what it does.

Funny thing is: my hair was getting super tangly recently and I wanted a change, so I had it flat ironed for a wedding. It reverted halfway through the reception (go coils!), so I washed it and viola - coils returned, but no more tangles and end knots. As my hair gets longer, I may put heat on it a couple times a year to avoid the tangling (and not get damage).
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    I start with damp hair not wet hair, so it does not shrink as much; then I apply a leave in, then gel in numerous sections . I don't use a brush or comb I just smoothe the products in .

I Put my hair in a low ponytail. After 30 mins I shake nd go. This is what reduces my shrinkage. It still shrinks but not as much as without the ponytail .

As for tangles, IMO its not more than I get normally . I still detangle once a week .

The more you try the better you get , just like any other style

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
  • Kat718Kat718 Posts: 73Registered Users
    ttlolla wrote: »
    I start with damp hair not wet hair, so it does not shrink as much; then I apply a leave in, then gel in numerous sections . I don't use a brush or comb I just smoothe the products in .

I Put my hair in a low ponytail. After 30 mins I shake nd go. This is what reduces my shrinkage. It still shrinks but not as much as without the ponytail .

As for tangles, IMO its not more than I get normally . I still detangle once a week .

Yesterday, I had a braid-out gone WRONG. So, I decided to spritz my hair with water and conditioner (and some SM Curl Smoothie) to get rid of the braid-out. And, I had curl definition and I didn't have so much shrinkage.
    Kat718 wrote: »

Yesterday, I had a braid-out gone WRONG. So, I decided to spritz my hair with water and conditioner (and some SM Curl Smoothie) to get rid of the braid-out. And, I had curl definition and I didn't have so much shrinkage.

I will be trying that hybrid wng soon .:). With a braid out instead . Twist out results in locked hair for me

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    That's worked for me too in the past.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • MoHair09MoHair09 Posts: 92Registered Users
    I will be practicing more this year with my w&g.

Sent from my VM670 using CurlTalk App
  • StephEliseStephElise Posts: 21Registered Users
    Kat718 wrote: »

I actually did the SAME thing this weekend on a braidout that didn't quite work like I wanted. So I spritzed with some aloe vera juice and conditioner mix just until slightly damp, then proceeded to add my curl activator gel and argan oil ecostyler gel. I had very defined coils that were stretched. I've also done a slight blowout on my hair first and then proceeded to add the same gels to get stretched out hair. But this would be considered a little more than just a wash and go I guess.
  • TogyTogy Posts: 16Registered Users
    I usually apply my leave-in and styler while my hair is damp. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and just recently started using One 'n Only Argan Oil Styling Cream. After that I will braid my hair into two pig-tails and leave those in until I get to work (usually about 30 minutes). That process has led to some awesome hair days the past couple of weeks.
  • montREALadymontREALady Posts: 1,210Registered Users
    I wanna try One 'N Only's Argan oil. Any of you ladies tried it? The hairdresser put Moroccanoil in my hair on Friday as a finishing touch and the smell is fab! Wondering if argan oil smells as good (at a fraction of the cost!)

Sent from my MB300 using CurlTalk App
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I usually style my hair right out of the shower most days. Normally I co-wash then separate my hair in 5 sections and apply some gel. EcoStyler tends to give me some hang time since it is heavy. When I use my little EcoStyler, oil,, & condish hybrid then I end up with more shrinkage. I'm going to try the styling my hair damp thing to see how it works for me.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    When my hair was shorter, wash and go was was go to style. Now I get too many tangles. Sometimes makes me want to cut.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    I LOVE wash n gos...but I limit myself to doing them only once a week if I do them at all. Less tangling/shedding that way and I retain more length :compress:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • SaSSyClaSSySaSSyClaSSy Posts: 96Registered Users
    I have been doing wng since I bced, I know alot of type 4s compliant about sks, but I haven't been experiencing them as of yet. I decided, once I have some negative effects on daily co-wash, or wng I will stop until then I will keep doing them for the summer.
    BC: 9/28/10 (2.5-3 inches)
    Hair type: Type 3c/4a fine/medium
    event.png
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    Shrinkage does not bother me - what does bother me is massive tangles doing a wash n go as a result of my hair shrinking. In order to alleviate this, I make sure I apply product thoroughly and get it on my roots. It takes longer, but I've been doing my wngs every 2-3 days rather than everyday.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I just started WnGs again because its warmer, nd I love it. Grew tired of working with stretched hair that always end up in an updo

• J5babyJ5baby Posts: 49Registered Users
    i only do wash and goes with eco styler. To prevent shrinkage, i put my hair up in a ponytail after applying the ecostyler. I usually wear it like that for a day but keeping it in a pony for about 10-15 is probably enough. Then i wear it out and just re-wet each morning :)
    PhotoshopLovelyOnecopy-2.jpg
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users
    i have more 4b(i think) but lots of shrinkage. So far, this is my reliable routine~

1st day:
    Conditioning, finger detangling in shower, apply more condish, rinse most of that out

(maybe use a leave-in cond depending on how much of the last cond. i 've rinsed out)

Apply mix of Eco Olive Gel+a thinner gel+condish,+EVOO to wet hair in sections. I apply to hair in from 4 to up to 10 sections( if i'm feeling really obsessive) However, squishing and smoothing it through 4 sections in the shower can work too.

Let dry during the day or diffuse dryer

Overnight
    : make 2-3 ponypuffs to keep hair in order and for a bit of stretch. Wear silk scarf.

2nd & 3rd day
    : remove elastics, spray hair with water until hair drops back into place, shake.
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
    Trying to find Eco Styler Olive Oil gel in the stores here in NYC. I've been checking regular drugstores. Popped into Conway today but they only had the pink and clear ones. I can't order it from Sally's then pay $6 shipping, makes no sense!! I'm going to check a BSS next (probably should have checked there first, lol!) or I have to wait until I need more stuff from Sally's.
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I wanna try One 'N Only's Argan oil. Any of you ladies tried it? The hairdresser put Moroccanoil in my hair on Friday as a finishing touch and the smell is fab! Wondering if argan oil smells as good (at a fraction of the cost!)

No, argan oil does not smell like Moroccanoil. It's funny you like it, because that shows how fragrance is such a personal issue. I think it smells like a handsome man, so when I used it I kept looking around expecting to see a dude. It took me DAYS to realize it was me lol. Now that I think about it I guess I do like the scent, just not on me.
    One'n' Only and Moroccanoil, and other treamtments like them are mostly silicone, fragrance, and a little bit of argan oil and other oils like grapeseed oil.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
    sagehen wrote: »

No, argan oil does not smell like Moroccanoil. It's funny you like it, because that shows how fragrance is such a personal issue. I think it smells like a handsome man, so when I used it I kept looking around expecting to see a dude. It took me DAYS to realize it was me lol. Now that I think about it I guess I do like the scent, just not on me.
    One'n' Only and Moroccanoil, and other treamtments like them are mostly silicone, fragrance, and a little bit of argan oil and other oils like grapeseed oil.

Lol at the handsome man. I actually like the smell but don't know how to use it

There are lots of ways you can use it. I only use a product like that once in awhile now because I avoid silicones, but I still use it in my haircolor. It provides slip and a little bit of conditioning. When I use heat to style, I put a small amount in my hair before blowing dry, and a little bit before I flatiron along with my heat protectant. I smooth a little on to control flyaway hair when it's straight.
    4a/3c curls
    Team Wash and Go!

There are lots of ways you can use it. I only use a product like that once in awhile now because I avoid silicones, but I still use it in my haircolor. It provides slip and a little bit of conditioning. When I use heat to style, I put a small amount in my hair before blowing dry, and a little bit before I flatiron along with my heat protectant. I smooth a little on to control flyaway hair when it's straight.

Thanks for the tip :D

• hotchocolatehotchocolate Posts: 59Registered Users
    I wear wng's daily, using Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask, Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme and Curl Creme Brulee. My hair is so soft & curly to the touch, I don't know if I'll ever use gel again.

LMAO @ "handsome man"!! I sooo did not get that, but you're right, it's personal. How would you describe the smell of argan oil?

My hairdresser used it as finishing touch, she sort of tousled it in my hair after it was styled. Days later I was still smelling it. The pricepoint is nauseating though :-|

My hairdresser used it as finishing touch, she sort of tousled it in my hair after it was styled. Days later I was still smelling it. The pricepoint is nauseating though :-|
    Try this one: twice the amount for less money, smells good too and very good (also fair trade!)
    DermOrganic Leave-In Treatment with Organic Argan Oil - Derm Organic - argan (moroccan) oils
    4a/3c curls
    Team Wash and Go!

Try this one: twice the amount for less money, smells good too and very good (also fair trade!)
    DermOrganic Leave-In Treatment with Organic Argan Oil - Derm Organic - argan (moroccan) oils

Thanks! I've added it to my favorites.
  • luvli007luvli007 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Trying to find Eco Styler Olive Oil gel in the stores here in NYC. I've been checking regular drugstores. Popped into Conway today but they only had the pink and clear ones. I can't order it from Sally's then pay $6 shipping, makes no sense!! I'm going to check a BSS next (probably should have checked there first, lol!) or I have to wait until I need more stuff from Sally's.

I saw it recently in a CVS in Harlem. Corner of Lenox and 116. I was going to snatch some up but I'd just recently purchased the pink version and was trying to control my junkieism.