CurlTalk

DIY for jeans gaping at the waist?

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
I don't do belts with jeans. Someone told me to sew darts into the back, but I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone have tips or suggestions for a better fit? This happens to me with all denim, except for some 7FAMs and AGs. Thanks.

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    I don't do belts with jeans. Someone told me to sew darts into the back, but I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone have tips or suggestions for a better fit? This happens to me with all denim, except for some 7FAMs and AGs. Thanks.

I'm sewing stupid. I take them for tailoring, and it's a pretty inexpensive fix.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I saw this at a store the other day, but you'd have to wear a long enough shirt to cover it.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    RCC, I have a lot of jeans. I think that inexpensive fix could add up. I'll try to do the darts myself and if they look weird, I'll take them to a tailor.

Poodle, you just reminded me of those clips I used for my sundresses in the 90's. I'm going to try to find one to see if it could work in the same manner as those thingamajigs you just posted. Thanks!
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    My jeans never gap at the waist that's where I carry my extra weight, but they do sag at the ass and legs. LOL the horrors of jean shopping!
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    I wish I knew. My hips are 43" and my waist is 28" so there is always a gap. So I just don't wear jeans TBH.
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    Belts are a must for me.
    Has anyone tried this?

Invisibelt.
    Or this?

Gah! :homework:
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Wiregirl wrote: »
    My jeans never gap at the waist that's where I carry my extra weight, but they do sag at the ass and legs. LOL the horrors of jean shopping!
    Me too...I feel your pain :sad7:

Medussa if you can't find one of your clips you can make your own pretty easily and inexpensively. I made some to clip onto my skinny jeans under my heels to keep them down in my boots.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    The Invisibelt looks promising.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    3c/4a
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    I want an invisibelt! I don't have gaping but I have no butt and must wear a belt with pants otherwise I'm constantly tugging my jeans up. I hate when my belt shows through my shirt. I need one!!!
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So you have a small waist and big (relatively) butt? Why not buy jeans cut for that figure type? PZI, Levi Curve ID, GAP Curvy? If you like the 'premium' brands, I think Paige and Joe's are best for that type.

No, I certainly would not sew darts into a pair of finished jeans.:sad3:

What's your issue with belts? In addition to the functionality, I think belts on jeans maket he wearer look 100x more pulled together and stylish.

I wound up sewing darts in most of my jeans last night. It feels a little weird. I think I'm going to try out the Invisibelt and if I really like it, I'll just pull out the darts on my other jeans.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    So you have a small waist and big (relatively) butt? Why not buy jeans cut for that figure type? PZI, Levi Curve ID, GAP Curvy? If you like the 'premium' brands, I think Paige and Joe's are best for that type.

No, I certainly would not sew darts into a pair of finished jeans.:sad3:

What's your issue with belts? In addition to the functionality, I think belts on jeans maket he wearer look 100x more pulled together and stylish.
    I'm thinking that they are referring to wearing a fitted shirt over the pants and belt, and you get an unsightly bulge from the buckle. At least this is my issue. :p

That invisibelt looks interesting! Not that button thing though, I think it would make the fly lumpy.

Please let us know if you get the invisibelt (anyone!)!!!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    ^^^what she said. I never tuck my shirts in my jeans.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    3c/4a
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could just do a "front tuck" (nothing is tucked in except the area immediately over the belt buckle) or just sort of push the top up over the belt but not tuck it. How tight are these shirts that a belt buckle can't fit underneath??? LOL

I've been known to wear some clingy tops, but my belt buckle was the least of what I was worried about showing!:tongue5:

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    So for those of you who have a gap at the waist, I'm assuming your jeans are high rise, like above the belly button?
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »
    So for those of you who have a gap at the waist, I'm assuming your jeans are high rise, like above the belly button?

I get it no matter what the rise. It's more that I have a 'prominent seat' my bottom has its curves out to the rear as opposed to out to the sides of the hips. To get the fabric to accommodate the rearward curve, there is often a gap in the pants on the middle of the back of the waistband.

Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users

Mine are all low rise, and I still get the gap. Presumably because the jeans have to be slightly larger in the thighs, but I need a slightly smaller waist.

The invisibelt looks promising! I really hope someone posts here if they end up getting one!

And spiderlashes, none of my shirts are particularly tight... But it just looks bad to have the "bulge" from the buckle underneath the shirt, in my opinion. In fact, it looks worst with some of my looser shirts.
    And none of them could really be tucked in just at the front, either. I don't think they could really be tucked in period, actually.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
    I have no idea what the problem is. Most of my jeans have a 7" rise, so definitely not high rise. My booty looks nothing like RCC's. :( It's quite flat. My hips are 10 inches wider than my waist. I think sizing down would help but I hate the feeling of super tight jeans.

As far as belts, I don't like the look for myself (too distracting, bulky, or something).

I'll be the board guinea pig and will try out the Invisibelt. I'll report back.
  • ben broadben broad Posts: 13Registered Users
    I always have luck at Jeans West with a reduction in the gaping factor. Short of that, perhaps grab the best fitting ones you can get and chat to a seamstress.
    Here's on review from Amazon:
    This belt is advertised to fit anyone but it was huge. They should make a petite version, at the smallest setting it was too big for me and I found it bulky. (probably because it was so big on me). One size does not fit all, people! Keep this in mind if you purchase it. I returned mine.
    Just reading that, I'm hesitant to buy it. The Adjust A Button got much better reviews, 7 very good and 2 not so good. One person complained it was a ripoff and that "you can buy this exact item (no-sew, snap-on button) at any sewing store for a couple bucks. This is a rip off." Here's the thing, the company responded to both dissatisfied customers. They offer refunds too. So, I think I'm getting this product over the Invisibelt.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

I get it no matter what the rise. It's more that I have a 'prominent seat' my bottom has its curves out to the rear as opposed to out to the sides of the hips. To get the fabric to accommodate the rearward curve, there is often a gap in the pants on the middle of the back of the waistband.

Oh I see, it's that beautiful curve you got going back there when you have a booty! I have the opposite problem with muffin top since I have always had a lovehandle issue. If my pants fit at the top, they sag in the butt.(since it's nearly flat). I have smaller waist but it's way up there and the higher the pants the flatter the behind looks.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    Here's on review from Amazon:
    This belt is advertised to fit anyone but it was huge. They should make a petite version, at the smallest setting it was too big for me and I found it bulky. (probably because it was so big on me). One size does not fit all, people! Keep this in mind if you purchase it. I returned mine.
    Just reading that, I'm hesitant to buy it. The Adjust A Button got much better reviews, 7 very good and 2 not so good. One person complained it was a ripoff and that "you can buy this exact item (no-sew, snap-on button) at any sewing store for a couple bucks. This is a rip off." Here's the thing, the company responded to both dissatisfied customers. They offer refunds too. So, I think I'm getting this product over the Invisibelt.
    I can't envision how this button thing works, so you'll have to let us know!
    Minneapolis, MN
    So, did anyone ever try the Invisibelt or Button thing? We need reports! :D
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    haven't tried any of those things, but my jeans constantly slide down. no gapping, they just slowly slide down and i spend all day tugging at them and pulling them back up. it happens in low rise jeans, regular rise jeans, jeans that are too big, jeans that are too little, with or without a belt. what causes that and how can i fix it?
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    So, did anyone ever try the Invisibelt or Button thing? We need reports! :D

I didn't try the Invisibelt because one reviewer wrote that one size does not fit all, as they claim. They need to make a petite, for people with smaller waists. I need to revisit that button fix. I want to make sure that while there's no gaping in the back, there will also not be a big flap in the front.

Subrock, I think the problem with today's jeans is the percentage of elastane.
    I was thinking of trying the Invisibelt for Girls -- it is narrower (1") and shorter. Invisibelt - all belt | no bulk

info in sizes: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.invisibelt.com%2FFAQs.aspx" class="Popup
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    I was thinking of trying the Invisibelt for Girls -- it is narrower (1") and shorter. Invisibelt - all belt | no bulk

info in sizes: Invisibelt FAQs

This would work for me! I wish they had clear, but for $5, I'm not going to knock it! Thanks!
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    I have the same problem but usually just wear a belt

This article and video might help
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png