Newbie; Needs help, has question :)

Hello everyone. I'm a 3a (I think) and I've tried co-washing before but gave up pretty fast because of the price (I was using the deva curl products.)

I'm ready to try this again but I need advice and recommendations.

I would prefer products that I can get at a drug store and are not too pricey. I'm looking for a good co-wash conditioner and a styling gel and or lotion that is ok to use when co-washing.

I've never used a leave in and I see that it's recommended, but I worry that my hair will be weighed down with one. Is it necessary? My curls tend to fall flat and I prefer volume as long as it's not frizzy. Also... anything to tame frizz that's co-wash safe?

Also what's the best thing to wash my hair with the day before I start co-washing? I want to make sure I get all the build up out.

Thanks!!

Comments

• JaqiJaqi Posts: 75Registered Users
    deva is too expensive & isn't that great. apparently, it was worth the money not so long ago until they changed the ingredients. i have tried it & it dried my hair out awfully.

there are many great & cheap products for cg's on a budget. for a co-wash many people use suave's natural brand or vo5. i was all about suave's milk & honey as a co-wash for years, but they have discontinued it, so now i use their coconut condt. for a real condition i use nature's gate & for a deep condition i rather use my natures gate, aubrey organics or the biolage conditioning balm (kinda pricey, but the beauty store sally's do a great generic version). Oh - i forgot to mention garnier fructis triple nutrition - i also use this weekly after my co-wash.

Modified CG Lowpoo X1 a week
    2B/Med porosity/Med texture
    Low Poo:GTTT
    Cowash:Vo5 Tea Therapy
    RO:AOHRS
    DT: Darcy's Botanicals PS
    Jessicurl WDT
    Shea Moisture RCM
    Stylers:Boots Pink/Dr.Bronners Style Creme
    L.A Cashmere Curls Gel

I DT once a week (over night), & I do a ACV rince once a month.

:love2:

Snapshot_20100709_11-1.jpg

• JaqiJaqi Posts: 75Registered Users
    ...& you'll need to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to start the process. suave do a great clarifying shampoo, just make sure you wash it all out - ew, i hate the way my hair feels after clarifying.

as for gels i don't use them but people on here use l.a gel that is dirt cheap & can be found at most drugstores.

Modified CG Lowpoo X1 a week
    2B/Med porosity/Med texture
    Low Poo:GTTT
    Cowash:Vo5 Tea Therapy
    RO:AOHRS
    DT: Darcy's Botanicals PS
    Jessicurl WDT
    Shea Moisture RCM
    Stylers:Boots Pink/Dr.Bronners Style Creme
    L.A Cashmere Curls Gel

I DT once a week (over night), & I do a ACV rince once a month.

:love2:

Snapshot_20100709_11-1.jpg

• RandomMusingRandomMusing Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks so much! I got the suave clarifying shampoo to get rid of all the build up, and I also got suave naturals waterfall mist to use for co washing and the LA looks sports gel. I might pick up some V05 too.
  • curlycandy3curlycandy3 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Vo5 is great to co-wash and easy to find. And I second the sally's GVP conditioning balm is very hydrating as well as the Fructis Triple Nutrition. If your curls like protein, I suggest Plask Henna'N'Placenta deep treatment, its cheap and great. If you're ready to spend a little extra, pretty much anything Shea Moisture brand (be careful with the smoothie, its heavy!) Its sold at most Target stores. HTH :)

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    Southeast Michigan
    *Whatever makes my curls happy* since 01/2011
    3b/c/a Thick, Medium/Coarse, Normal Porosity & Elasticity, Dyed.
    Kind of starting from scratch...
    Cleanse: various low-poos (still searching)
    Condish: Aura Cherry Almond Bark (but always on the look-out)
    DT: SMDTM
    Styling: LI, curl cream, gel. Insert various products appropriately.
    I <3: Coconut & Argan oil, my Denman, a neat side-braid.
    "Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file