Best OTC Dry Eye Drops

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
I have dry eye syndrome, apparently. The doctor recommended Blink which is ok, but not great. Any recommendations for OTC drops?

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    On a green board, I saw Similasan Dry Eye Relief Drops recommended. The label says they are homeopathic. This appealed to me. I buy 2-3 bottles at a time from vitacost. The bottle is brown glass and is smaller than standard eyed drops. I really like these drops. Have repurchased for about 2 years now, since I first tried them. I use them morning and night when I can remember. I should be using them midday also, but I forget to apply them at the office usually.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maudie wrote: »
    I have dry eye syndrome, apparently. The doctor recommended Blink which is ok, but not great. Any recommendations for OTC drops?

sometimes have more fatty acids (omega 3s) in your diet helps -- for me, it totally disappeared! my eyes are no longer dry, have not been since i started taking omega 3s years ago.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have tried a lot of OTC dry eye drops. The best one I found is Refresh Optive by Allergan. I hope you can find it. It's widely available in NYC.

You may also get relief using an ointment at night. Apparently our eyes also dry out at night. The best one for that is Systane ointment. If you use it, your eyes will be a tiny bit blurry when you wake up, until you wash your face.

I hope you get relief and I'll be looking for an update!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My favorite (I have chronic dry eye etc. from allergies and such fun stuff) has been Refresh Plus (preservative free) from Allergan for almost 6 years. I haven't tried Optive, but it has glycerin and I know that bothers my eyes, although it might last longer.

Just about everything irritates my eyes, especially preservatives.

+1 on the Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil or else lots of walnuts and flaxseed oil and canola oil) and also Evening Primrose oil or Borage seed oil (more concentrated) for anti-inflammatory gamma linolenic acid.

I also learned from an eye doctor to put a warm, wet washcloth on my eyes for a minute or 2 once or twice per day. If your oil glands in your eyelids tend to be blocked due to inflammation, your tears dry up too fast because they don't have that oil component and this helps keep the oils flowing and really helps with itching and irritation. Temporarily...

If you wake up with extremely irritated eyes, it might be dust mite allergy and washing your sheets weekly with 30-40 drops of tea tree oil plus using a allergen-proof pillow "case" also helps a whole lot.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't found an OTC drop that really does much good. I finally broke down and got a prescription for Restasis. Have been using it for about 10 days. The dr told me not to give up on it because it takes about 2 months before it is effective. I figure about June 15 I am going to assess whether they are helping much or not.
    3b/c
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    munchkin, that's what my mom uses. She's had this problem for years & used to use Visine. It's expensive, so she uses it half-time. I also know it's a steroid, so use it sparingly. I need to tell her about omega-3. I use it, but for my cholesterol. Maybe, she can now kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone! :laughing2:
    I hate meds; can you tell? :joker:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Munchkin, I had to use Restasis for two years. Finally, my eyes got better on their own. I eat a lot of walnuts so maybe the omega 3's kicked in, or else the Restasis permanently solved the problem.

Good luck and please update.

Wile, your mom may be able to give up using the Restasis eventually. I know someone else who was able to stop using it after using it for a while.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    CP, I don't remember if I told you, but I did tell mom what you passed along. Unfortunately, she is like my grandmother was about meds :confused4:
    She'll itch about the cost, but depends on them too much..argh
    I will have to remember to talk to her again about it, when I get a teachable moment! :lol:
  • joshmittlemanjoshmittleman Posts: 1Registered Users
    Well I came across many useful n helpful articles, photos, videos, etc regarding DRY EYE SYNDROME and its treatment. Here's the link: DRY EYE SYNDROME | Antiven.in
    Must Visit:bigsmurf::bigsmurf:
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Spiralli wrote: »
    On a green board, I saw Similasan Dry Eye Relief Drops recommended. The label says they are homeopathic. This appealed to me. I buy 2-3 bottles at a time from vitacost. The bottle is brown glass and is smaller than standard eyed drops. I really like these drops. Have repurchased for about 2 years now, since I first tried them. I use them morning and night when I can remember. I should be using them midday also, but I forget to apply them at the office usually.

I use these as well and like them. I don't find they last quite as long as the other ones, but I liked the fact that they seemed healthier for my eyes.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file