CurlTalk

Corporate America?

I just went through the big chop a week ago. I was not planing to go natural but do to getting a bad perm and then putting my hair in braids i had no choice. I am a senior in college and will be entering corporate America in June. I just want some advice. Am i stressing how my future colleagues will respond to my hair for no reason?

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Hi Melody, I am sure you know there's too much focus on how people look, but I can say with confidence that at the office I work for, natural hair is seen as absolutely acceptable for professional dress.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Curlynikki has an article about this:

Can Going Natural Really Affect Your Career? | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

And for the record, I have been natural/curly my entire working life (all the way from a near fade to twa to my regular wash-n-go).

I don't think my hair ever stopped me from getting a job I wanted. And if it were to stop me from getting a job, it wouldn't be the kind of place I'd ultimately want to work in anyways.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Curlynikki has an article about this:

Can Going Natural Really Affect Your Career? | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

And for the record, I have been natural/curly my entire working life (all the way from a near fade to twa to my regular wash-n-go).

I don't think my hair ever stopped me from getting a job I wanted. And if it were to stop me from getting a job, it wouldn't be the kind of place I'd ultimately want to work in anyways.

I totally agree with the last statement. I always say if a place doesn't hire me because of my hair I don't want to work for them anyway.

I haven't had to deal with this yet because I got laid off while I was transitioning and unfortunately 2 yrs later I'm still unemployed. However in my field (landscape architecture) I don't think my hair would be an issue since we're seen as eco-friendly tree huggers.

Good luck Melody!

Sent from my HERO200 using CurlTalk App