Working Out - what do you do with your hair?

This is geared more towards 3c/4a gals, since that's what I am, but of course anyone can answer!

So...what do you do with your hair when you work out? How do you style it? How do you handle frizz? Do you use headbands?
3c with patches of 4a at the crown and temples.

Comments

• CurlyCaliGirlCurlyCaliGirl Posts: 40Registered Users
    I don't have the same type of curl you do but I work out 5 days a week, at least, so thought I'd share what I do just in case it helps.

Depending on what I do I either pull it back into a low, lose ponytail or up in a high bun and then either wear a headband or a baseball cap. I have also been known to do either a french braid or two braids. I just really hate for it to be sticking to me while I'm sweating. Blech.
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I pineapple my hair the same way I would to sleep in. My hair is really thick, so the pineapple holds it up off my neck and away from the sweaty parts of my face. It looks a a little "big" but I don't care. :D
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • KetchupKetchup Posts: 375Registered Users
    Pull it up to the top of my head in a high bun
    http://coilyas123.blogspot.com

Coily, Kinky & Nappy.
  • 1paperairplane1paperairplane Posts: 72Registered Users
    I pull my hair up in a ponytail and then put on a headband because some of my bangs are still short.

I run so I get super sweaty and there's no salvaging my hair after that, so I always have to shower and restyle afterward.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    When I exercise (which is not often :(), I put my hair in a bun and wear a headband. Like Graceland, I don't bother trying to salvage my style.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I pineapple my hair the same way I would to sleep in. My hair is really thick, so the pineapple holds it up off my neck and away from the sweaty parts of my face. It looks a a little "big" but I don't care. :D

I do this, too. I put the pineapple a little more to the back (almost like a high ponytail), rather than right on top, or stray longer curls can get in my eyes. Sometimes, my hair looks BETTER afterwards, cause being "pineappled" adds to some root lift. :)

Pics from last week's workout are on my weight loss blog, and you can see my hair during, and how nice it looked after an hour of working out when I take out the pineapple. Second day hair, too. :)
    Two Years To Happy Weight After: Day 46 of Phase 5: The Body Doing Its Puzzling Diet Thing, But waist 1/2 inch down...and Pilates Progress Pics AKA What 217 Pounds Looks Like On Me...lotsa pics...

If the curls got messed up, I just wet my hands in the bathroom sink and revive them a bit.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • curlysopranocurlysoprano Posts: 6Registered Users
    Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've never heard of the pineapple hairstyle, I just YouTube'd it and I am definitely trying it out.
    3c with patches of 4a at the crown and temples.
  • LadyAshley7LadyAshley7 Posts: 48Registered Users
    Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've never heard of the pineapple hairstyle, I just YouTube'd it and I am definitely trying it out.

I leave my hair twisted actually. Say, if I'm wearing a twist out or braid out sometime doing the week, i'll leave it twisted and put on my trusty bandana. lol. Now, if I do decide to wear a twist out-on the day I work out, then I'll just put on a sweat band, to the catch dripping sweat. (My hair isn't long enough yet to put it up in a ponytail or to pineapple it)
    3c with a mix of 4a. BC'd February 5, 2011!!! :happy8:

Shampoo/Co-washing: Shea Moisture-Moisture Retention Shampoo; Shea Moisture- Coconut Hibiscus Curling Control Shampoo
    Deep Treatment: Shea Moisture Intensive Treatment
    Leave-in Conditoner: Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia; Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme.
    Styling Products: Karen's Body Beautiful Butter Love; Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie; Jane Carter Wrap & Roll
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just tie it back and use bobby pins to hold and strays back. Making sure my hair looks good when I'm at the gym really doesn't concern me, I'm there to get sweaty and fit! I want to get a fabric headband to hold it back around my face, I just haven't got round to it yet.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    I'm 3c/4a - I just put it in a ponytail and then usually wear a headband. I like seeing my curls bounce while I exercise!

I also do Yoga, in which I lie down on a towel and have to put my head/hair directly on the towel. Any suggestions about how to do my hair to minimize damage? I haven't had any problems yet, but wanna keep ideas in my back pocket.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    4a here. These days I typically wear it loose to teach a class (took me about a year to let myself do that). After class the roots and maybe an inch or so up are wet. I scrunchi it up loosely in a puff so as it dries it won't shrink too much. Take it out after awhile. scrunch in a small amount of product mixed in my palm: Qhemet Burdock Root Butter cream, Aquage Illuminating Gellade, and Devacur Set it Free, and fluff. If it's already X-day hair, I'll pull it back loosely in a scrunchi. I've worn headbands, but end up with the hair beneath it soaking wet and flattened.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    When it was shorter I didn't really do anything different with it. Now that it's past my chin, I find I need to wear a headband to keep it out of my face. I sweat A LOT when I workout, and I teach Zumba and go to others' Zumba classes a few times a week. Most of the time my hair is soaking wet by the end of class, but if I leave it alone or just finger comb it a little bit at the roots, it dries looking pretty decent. I sometimes scrunch it with paper towels to help it dry faster. I have tried dry shampoo but it's not really meant to be used on wet/sweaty hair. :P
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlylaura wrote: »
    Making sure my hair looks good when I'm at the gym really doesn't concern me, I'm there to get sweaty and fit!

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I also got the impression the question was asked to address the "how do you keep it out of the way and not destroy your curls?" issue more than the "how do I look good while working out?" issue. I'm sure its ok to care about putting your curls up without crushing them and still want to get "sweaty and fit."
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I'm biking outside, I wear a ponytail. But, that does ruin my ability to wear my hair down.

If I'm working out at home, I wear a snood. It keeps the hair off of my neck, but I can then take it off and wear my hair out like normal.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Making sure my hair looks good when I'm at the gym really doesn't concern me, I'm there to get sweaty and fit!

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I also got the impression the question was asked to address the "how do you keep it out of the way and not destroy your curls?" issue more than the "how do I look good while working out?" issue. I'm sure its ok to care about putting your curls up without crushing them and still want to get "sweaty and fit."

+1

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I read it as how to look good and keep it out of the way. If that wasn't the intention of the question sorry if I misunderstood. *shrug*

My hair gets so sweaty I have to wash it afterwards, so I just tie it up to keep it out of the way, I don't really care if it get crushed while I'm at the gym.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • strssmnkystrssmnky Posts: 51Registered Users
    Even though I my shortest lengths are just barely long enough, I pineapple also. I usually just workout after work so I'm not too worried about sweat. Except for a yoga class during lunch. Then I'm just thinking about keeping my pineapple off the mat when I lay my head back. But at least then I don't have to worry about sweat and my hair ends up look good afterwards. Same goes for the couple other times I met with my fitness coach during lunch. Pineapple and when I took it down afterwards, I fluffed it and it didn't look too bad. And I have hair that won't do 2nd day so for it to do post-workout I'm happy.
    3a/3b, iii, medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG since 1/1/2011

Co-wash - Suave Naturals
    RO/LI- GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR, KCKT, TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey Conditioner, Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner
    DT - Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner, AOHR, KCKT
    Styling -CJCCCC, HETT, Biotera Styling Gel, AVG, Boots Curl Cream, Eco Styler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file