Mixed Chicks Sues Sally Beauty Supply

EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Here's the tea...

This just in: one of the most beloved haircare lines for naturally curly women and kids, Mixed Chicks, just filed suit against Sally Beauty Supply. The reason? Mixed Chicks is claiming that the mega beauty chain's new hair line, Mixed Silk, is infringing on the their trademark. They're also alleging that Sally Beauty Supply is using the Mixed Chicks logo on its website to direct consumers to their infringing products...

Mixed Chicks Co-Founder Kim Etheredge has this to say: "We've worked hard to build the reputation of the Mixed Chicks product as one of high quality. We want our clients to know that the Mixed Silk products have no connection with our products, and Mixed Chicks has not endorsed or authorized them." We're fans of both Mixed Chicks and Sally Beauty Supply, and hope that they reach an agreement soon!

Read more: Black Hair: Mixed Chicks Sues Sally Beauty Supply Stores Over Trademark Infringement - Essence.com
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube
Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    Hmmmm...:scratch:
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    Sigh.....:laughing6::laughing4:
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Good for them, Doubt they win but hey worth the try.
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    "We want our clients to know that the Mixed Silk products have no connection with our products.."

Really now? Then why are you suing them? Word it better you guys. Same advice goes for Sally's. Mixed Silk isn't only a nonsensical, baffling name, but a clear rip off of another title. Had they called it something else in the first place, this kerfluffle could have been avoided all together.

This is really annoying to me for some reason. I happen to love mixed silk. Mixed Chicks's practices as of late have caused me to raise an eyebrow.
    3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
    I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
    http://public.fotki.com/peabella
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Doesn't Sally's have other knock off hair product brands? Did those other brands sue Sally's?
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CocoT wrote: »
    Doesn't Sally's have other knock off hair product brands? Did those other brands sue Sally's?

See, this is what confuses me. I can see both sides of it. On one side I'm like, okaaaay, so Sally copies everyone, so why you mad? But on the other side, when you look at the other brands they copy (Paul Mitchell, Sebastian, Nexxus, etc) these are usually big name corporate owned brands, so I doubt that the knock offs are really cutting into their money, because the people who buy them are most likely still going to buy the salon brand. However, since Mixed Chicks is a smaller brand, the Mixed Silk line may be cutting into their profits, especially due to their errr...target demographic. The only case (and difference) I can see Mixed Chicks having is that with these others brand Sally uses their GVP line in plain bottles, while Mixed Silk also copies the visual aesthetic of Mixed Chicks.

Oh, and now that I think of it...let Sally try to copy one of my staple brands, like Oyin or CJ...I think I might go into the store and destroy the display, then run out, or buy it all up. I can't decide which route I would take.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing6:

omg, foxy totally beat me to it... whew

well, is this one allowed?

1514501_o.gif
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
    LOL I love that gif but you betta take it down before Gretchen sees it!
    YouTube
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Presto! wrote: »

Please. Please. LOL sry but I have to take it down.
    Oppression!!! :laughing5:
    YouTube

you're too quick!! :lol:

is the textless version permitted?
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

you're too quick!! :lol:

is the textless version permitted?

@Elle: Leave me alone!!! LOL

@Presto: Yeah it is
  • ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    I've never heard of Mixed Silk but now I wanna try it.
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • NaturalSassENaturalSassE Posts: 125Registered Users
    Whatever!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Taking the Napptural World By Storm
    Bc'd June 21, 2010
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    well now i wanna now what gif presto had to take down lol. i can't even think about this lawsuit situation now.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wonder why the GVP are allowed. Maybe they could get away with if it were labled as a GVP. They might make some serious bank if the ingredients were exactly the same.
    well now i wanna now what gif presto had to take down lol. i can't even think about this lawsuit situation now.

it was just the ubiquitous Bad Boys, 'Poop Just Got Real' gif with the text shown..

had no clue it was so transgressive. live & learn i guess.:salut:
    - Jean Cocteau

• KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wrong thread...
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I knew that they would sue as soon as I hear the name mixed silk...I didn't know that they were using their TM though...that's not cool
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL Mixed Chicks. U mad? :sad3:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    coilynapp wrote: »
    I knew that they would sue as soon as I hear the name mixed silk...I didn't know that they were using their TM though...that's not cool

I have been looking for actual proof of this ALL day! Yes, I'm nosy. I can't see Sally being that stupid and if I had seen it, I definitely would have pulled out an, "Ooooh chile..." because I would have known the Mixed Chicks was about the bust them with a lawsuit. They only said, "comparable to Mixed Chicks" in their ads I've seen, which isn't illegal. So I'm not sure how true that claim is...
    YouTube
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    LOL Mixed Chicks. U mad? :sad3:

Bwahahahaha!

Sent from my SPH-M900 using CurlTalk App
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's nothing unique or the bomb bout Mixed Chicks. That's how you get copied. Lol!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    LolaKinkz wrote: »
    Good for them, Doubt they win but hey worth the try.
    OMG hi Lola! It's Vida Starr here!

and anyway, ummm....

I dunno if Sally's did anything wrong tho to warrant the Law Suit.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Well dang...no sympathy at all for MC?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    Well dang...no sympathy at all for MC?

Not from me.

Have these chicks ever been to WalMart? WalMart has copy of every single product they sell! Same bottles and all!

Do you see those companies going after WalMart? No.

And Mixed Chicks needs to go sit down somewhere...seriously. All Sally's had to do was get the same generic base as them that's it, that's not illegal.

If someone wants to try Mixed Chicks, they will go get Mixed Chicks.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users

I have been looking for actual proof of this ALL day! Yes, I'm nosy. I can't see Sally being that stupid and if I had seen it, I definitely would have pulled out an, "Ooooh chile..." because I would have known the Mixed Chicks was about the bust them with a lawsuit. They only said, "comparable to Mixed Chicks" in their ads I've seen, which isn't illegal. So I'm not sure how true that claim is...
    I see!!!

I'm nosey too but don't care abt MC at all. They just mad because someone copied them and is making MORE money on said copy than them....LOL

eta: I don't think sally's would be that stupid to use their tm. Sally's been in business for a while, they wouldn't be that dumb...maybe a new small business would be that dumb 9and I've seen it LOL) not Sally's though
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Are the ingredients identical? That Mixed Silk dc smelled like triple YUCK.

tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpV69jCW1aY2BG7AhzggDz833_fnTJX_GBRcBExx1o9mto5-1Zow

SBS-373451?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

These aren't the same...

Ingredients: Mixed Silk: WATER ,CETYL ALCOHOL ,BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,GLYCOL STEARATE ,AMODIMETHICONE ,GLYCOL DISTEARATE ,PROPYLENE GLYCOL ,PEG-75 LANOLIN ,TOCOPHERYL ACETATE ,ROSA CANINA SEED ,SODIUM PCA ,CITRIC ACID ,BENZOPHENONE-4 ,CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,TRIDECETH-12 ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE ,FRAGRANCE ,ALPHA ISOMETHYL IONONE ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,BENZYL SALICYLATE ,HEXYL CINNAMAL ,LINALOOL

Mixed Chicks: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Octamethylcylotetraxiloxane, Safflower Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate and C14-18 Perfluoroalkyethyl Thiohydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride and Benzoic Acid and Glycereth - 2 Cocoate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users

I see!!!

I'm nosey too but don't care abt MC at all. They just mad because someone copied them and is making MORE money on said copy than them....LOL

eta: I don't think sally's would be that stupid to use their tm. Sally's been in business for a while, they wouldn't be that dumb...maybe a new small business would be that dumb 9and I've seen it LOL) not Sally's though

I can't see Sally's using their trademark. They're a real corporate identity...with lawyers, folks who work at desks, brick and mortar buildings, the whole nine. It's not some "lemonade stand" operation.

I don't care about Mixed Chicks. Sorry. Never tried the products...never will. The name turns me off. It's just another vehicle for division among people of color. No time. Plus, I still remember how they handled that "teamlightskin" fiasco, some months ago.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file