OT, but wanted you to know...

RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
My 6 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes yesterday afternoon after going to the doctor for his annual visit. He and I are in the hospital until tomorrow night. Please, keeps us in your thoughts as we make the adjustments necessary to help my little boy and manage his disease. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
th_d963586e.jpg

Comments

• RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh gosh, my thoughts are definitely with you and your little guy! I hope he stabilizes easily and that the management routine is fairly straightforward.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Rustina wrote: »
    Oh gosh, my thoughts are definitely with you and your little guy! I hope he stabilizes easily and that the management routine is fairly straightforward.

+1, sending good thoughts your way.
  • CurlyCaliGirlCurlyCaliGirl Posts: 40Registered Users
    I'm so sorry to hear your news! lots of positive thoughts coming your way!
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I'll be keeping you and your son in my thoughts. I hope he has an easy adjustment and it can be stabilized quickly. Please keep us updated.

Kerri

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Awwww poor sweetheart. T's and P's for your little boy.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sending positive thoughts your way.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Poor baby! Prayers and positive thoughts as your family is going thru this adjustment period.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way. (((hugs)))

Sent from my iPad using CurlTalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Poor thing! Thinking of you both ((((HUGS))))
  • NancyV908NancyV908 Posts: 108Registered Users
    Me too! Take care of your little boy. We'll miss you here but (somehow) manage without your helpful advice and encouragement.
    My properties
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    God bless your child and you. This is sad, but I hope your medical pros are compassionate and clear and on top of things and are able to help you guys transition seamlessly into diabetic care.

Best to you...
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ts and Ps for your son and ((hugs)) to you. I hope he adjusts quickly.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Aw! I'll be praying for your and your son. I hope you get positive results soon. :) Lots of hugs to you and him.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • curlynowcurlynow Posts: 51Registered Users
    Thoughts and prayers to your son, you and your family. :angel8:
    2c-3a~ Medium w/fine characteristics, low porosity, normal elasticity
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thank you all so very much. This was totally unexpected, as he had no obvious symptoms. So, we caught it very early, thank Goodness!

The staff at the hospital is excellent. We are already checking his glucose levels and administering insulin. He stabilized today. So our efforts paid off. Now the learning game is the most important thing. It's a LOT of information to absorb in such a short time though! Neither my husband nor I have diabetes in the family. So it was a big surprise. However, it turns out, it may have something to do with my Hashimoto's disease. Both are autoimmune diseases and where there's one, can be another. My pour little boy was just the unfortunate one to have obtained that little part of me. *sigh*... Poor kiddo. Can I just say that right now NEEDLES SUCK. ...Okay. I feel better now. Thanks again! You are all too kind for keeping Tyty in your thoughts.

Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    So glad to hear he is stabilizing!

- Sending warmest wishes
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ((HUGS!))
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad to hear he is doing better. I'll be thinking of both of you.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    Poor little guy...sending T's & P's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • curlangel0690curlangel0690 Posts: 172Registered Users
    So sorry to hear the news but glad you guys are in such capable hands. Ts and Ps for you and the munchkin.
    "I'm not high maintenance, my hair is."
    3c mostly fine, high to normal porosity, medium density, normal elasticity

Co-Wash- VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TreSemme Naturals
    LowPoo- GTTT
    RO- GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI- Giovanni Direct Leave In, GVP Conditioning Balm,
    Stylers- KMFUM, Eco Styler Krystal, AOMMM, UFDCM,
    Oils- Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Coconut
    PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
    DC- AS I Am Hydrating Mask
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Very sorry, but so glad you found out before too much damage, and I hope that you are able to handle the care going forward and keep him healthy.

Will keep you in my thoughts. I have a 6-yo too.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • NancyV908NancyV908 Posts: 108Registered Users
    I have a six-year-old son as well, so I can imagine (a little bit) how you are feeling. I'm sorry he has has to go through this, but I'm glad you figured it out.

I hesitate to say this b/c it may sound flip or inappropriate...but I don't mean it that way. You have obviously mastered all this CG stuff, so by definition you're really good at figuring out complicated, overwhelming information. So I know you'll do fine with all the diabetes stuff, which is so much more important! Good luck, & I'll keep thinking of you & your family.
    My properties
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.
  • mrsgp101310mrsgp101310 Posts: 182Registered Users
    I missed this yesterday..So sorry to hear this RW. Glad to hear it was caught early and he is stabilized now.
    Many thoughts, prayers & (((((hugs))))) coming your way! Please continue to keep us updated when you can.
    Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10 :mrgreen:
    3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Currently using:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coco; AIA Coconut cowash
    Cleansing: CJ DF
    RO: CJ Smoothing,GVP CB
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion, AIA leave in
    Stylers: SCE Okra Gel; SCE CC; SCE HHG, SSCEJ, SSFHG, AIA Curl Jelly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm really sorry to hear this. You both will be in my prayers.
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    My 6 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes yesterday afternoon after going to the doctor for his annual visit. He and I are in the hospital until tomorrow night. Please, keeps us in your thoughts as we make the adjustments necessary to help my little boy and manage his disease. Thanks.

Definitely sending love and positive thoughts your way!! Remember, the best thing about this is that it can be managed and I know many people who have gone on to live full lives. He will be fine.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Posts: 103Registered Users
    Awwhhh poor little thing, my prayers go out to you and your family. He is so little to have to go through this. Im very glad that you caught this early, and he is doing well.
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    NancyV908 wrote: »
    I have a six-year-old son as well, so I can imagine (a little bit) how you are feeling. I'm sorry he has has to go through this, but I'm glad you figured it out.

I hesitate to say this b/c it may sound flip or inappropriate...but I don't mean it that way. You have obviously mastered all this CG stuff, so by definition you're really good at figuring out complicated, overwhelming information. So I know you'll do fine with all the diabetes stuff, which is so much more important! Good luck, & I'll keep thinking of you & your family.

:lol: Thanks for your vote of confidence, NancyV908. ;) And thanks to everyone else for your words of support and encouragement. We came home last night. The first 24 hours home have gone pretty well. No real issues, thank Goodness. Personally, I think the fact that we're home relaxed Tyler enough to stop fighting the glucose tests and insulin shots. :) So, lots of things to remember all the time. Lots of things to keep track of (logging into a book to keep track of his levels and shots). But, I'm a bookkeeper by trade. So, filling in a spreadsheet is nothing new to me. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    So sorry to hear what about your son. Thinking of both of you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm so sorry to hear about this! Hopefully at 6 he's young enough to adjust to everything before he hits his teens and goes nuts (ok maybe not nuts but teenagers are close with the hormones!)
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Girl, I posted about him on my fb page nd there ar friends and family of mine form all over the world praying for you all.

Hopefully, he will be a candidate for the pump soon. My friend's daughter received it and it changed all of their lives. There are such advances being made with diabetes that since he is so young hopefully it will get easier as they discover and learn more and more.

I also have Hashimoto's. My son ,almost 28, now also has it and has inconclusive cells in a nodule that will likely result in his thyroid being removed soon. I feel you on the wishing they had gotten something better from us!

Please let us know if there is anything you need or we can do. I happen to have great "insider" access to great Crayola kid's product! PM me if that would help take his mind off for a bit!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights