sulfates?

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
So I've noticed that some people that are mod CG do sulfate shampoos now and then (sometimes on a more regular basis) and I was just wondering A) What benefits do they get from it? B) Do they use a sulfate conditioner as well or do they use a CG one? Thanks!!!
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Well, they're cheap and easy to find. They get the gunk out. I dilute them a lot.
  • KeLynnKeLynn Registered Users Posts: 182
    I do sulfate washes now and then. I've tried to go fully CG, I've tried to go mod-CG, but I've just learned that every once in a while, my hair just needs a heavy-duty cleaning. If I never ever sulfate 'poo, my hair gets limp and loses some curl. I probably end up sulfate washing every 2 weeks or so? I don't really keep track. I just do it when I think I need it.

If I know I'll be sulfate washing in my next wash, I'll use a silicone conditioner or styling products the day before. Or if I don't plan ahead but just end up using something with silicones, I'll do a sulfate wash.

Is there such thing as a sulfate conditioner?
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    thanks girls!! I'm still having a difficult time trying to figure out a good cleansing system for my hair. I keep going back and forth with low pooing and co-washing but I"m starting to think (esp. after reading other people's issues) that co-washing, even once a week, might be too much for me. I'm going to try low pooing 2x a week and then throwing in a sulfate wash here and there and see how that does.

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

• ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I just resently had to add a sulfate wash once a week and it has done wonders for my hair. I just get too much build up from the hard water and the hair spray I use. My hair is doing wonderfully right now and I think alot of it is the sulfates back in my life. I tried doing it once a month but that didn't work and even every other week wasn't enough.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
    ththd wrote: »
    I just resently had to add a sulfate wash once a week and it has done wonders for my hair. I just get too much build up from the hard water and the hair spray I use. My hair is doing wonderfully right now and I think alot of it is the sulfates back in my life. I tried doing it once a month but that didn't work and even every other week wasn't enough.

That's awesome that sulfate washes are working for you!! Build up is no fun!!

Stylers-

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    My hair is best after a sulfate poo. I have hard water so it really helps once in a while.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    Well I decided to do a sulfate wash today. I usually wait at least 2-3 days between hair cleansings but ever since going CG,, my schedule keeps changing. My scalp was really itchy but I didn't notice too many flakes. I decided to use some Paul Mitchell Special Tea Tree Shampoo, leftover from before going CG. My scalp feels pretty good and my hair feels clean. I checked my scalp and there are some flakes but nothing too crazy. I think next time I do a sulfate wash I'll use something else so I don't over-do it but I'm def. going to be using it again at some point.

Stylers-

• jbaybayyjbaybayy Registered Users Posts: 38
    KeLynn- while in the shower the other day I was curious so I was reading my sister's products' labels...and her conditioner had sulfates, I remember. I think it was Bed Head brand, I'll look later and see for sure!
  • porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    I sulfate-washed today!

My hair gets a lot of build-up. Also, I've been having a lot of major scalp issues even though I spend several minutes scrubbing my scalp with the pads of my fingers when I shower. I decided to bite the bullet and incorporate the occasional sulfate wash into my routine, and my hair likes it well enough. I just use my regular cone-free conditioner after. Since I don't use a TON of shampoo, my hair doesn't get dried out from the regular shampoo.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

It definitely seems like a good way to get rid of nasty build up!!! I'll be doing a sulfate wash on Thursday since I straightened my hair and used 'cones the other day.

Stylers-

• ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I forgot to add that I also spritz and condish before I sulfate-poo so the conditioner is on my hair when I put the sulfate-poo on so it's kinda "low-pooish". This seems to help and I only put the sulfate-poo on top of my head for the scalp so I don't use a ton and the rest just gets rinsed with it.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    jbaybayy wrote: »
    KeLynn- while in the shower the other day I was curious so I was reading my sister's products' labels...and her conditioner had sulfates, I remember. I think it was Bed Head brand, I'll look later and see for sure!
    Was it magnesium sulfate? Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) is a curl enhancer and is drying for some people. It is a salt, not a sulfate in the way we think of them.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I have never been able to get ANY type of sulfate 'poo to work for me! With my sensitive scalp, it's hard to find anything that works well and doesn't make me itch, so I've been sticking to a gentle low-poo every time I wash my hair (every three days), and my hair has never been better! Besides hating fragrance, I believe my scalp also hates sulfates. My scalp gets super dried out and starts producing WAAAY too much oil. I'm glad you all are getting the sulfates to work for you! And I'm so glad you finally found something that works, Ththd!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I do sulfate washes occasionally, and it's because I have hard water and need to get rid of build up.

As for sulfates in conditioners, typically it's an ingredient like behentrimonium methosulfate, which isn't a "Sulfate", it's an emulsifier. True sulfates will usually (with a few exceptions) be found only in poos.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Registered Users Posts: 297
    I've recently begun sulfate washing once a month, because of the hard water at my dorm that turned my hair into a stupid mess of dumb stupidness.

When I'm at my parents' house though, I don't usually sulfate wash unless I feel like my scalp is really gunky. I don't get that much buildup though, since I do low-poo a few times a week as well.

I dilute the sulfate poo a little. Like, I only really use the bare minimum to get my scalp clean, and my hair still feels healthy to me.
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file