To shampoo or not to shampoo?

pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am completely back to my natural hair color. I haven't seen it in over 20 years. My hair has never been healthier, but I have a little problem.

I normally co-wash and then use shampoo (GTTT) 1-2 times per week. Since I quit coloring my hair I have to shampoo more. In fact, I tried shampoo, then co-wash the next day, then shampoo, and so on. My hair looks awful on the days I co-wash. Flat to my head and frizzy. I'm thinking about using shampoo everyday because the bad hair days are so frustrating.

I'm worried I'm going to ruin my hair by shampooing everyday.

Any thoughts?

Current products:

Giovanni TTT
KCNT Leave-in
AG re:coil
Joiwhip
Set-It Free

Comments

• CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    Too funny, I was thinking just the same thing this morning. Although if I co washed even every other day my hair would be a mess, I do water washing because my hair just could not handle the co washing. It would be flat and limp and I couldn't stand it any longer, so I turned just to water washing a lot with some co washing, lo pooing, and sulfate washes mixed in.

Personally, for me I think, now that I don't straighten and have let me hair go back to its natural curly state (although I do color, but my hair doesn't seem to mind) and have learned how to take care of it, my hair seems fine with the "regular" sulfate shampoos and even seems to prefer it. I really like the fullness that comes with sulfates and I don't need silicones to keep my hair from frizzing out now that I have the proper moisture/protein balance.

Plus if my hair gets out of balance I now know what to do. I think it's your hair and you know best, plus now your hair isn't as much of a mystery and you'll be able to "fix" it a lot better if it gets out of balance.

hth
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't co-wash anymore. It is far too much for my fine hair that isn't dry. I use a low poo (Giovanni 50:50) every 3-4 days and water wash on the inbetween days. It has worked out much better for my curls and scalp.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the replies. They helped a lot.

My hair looked a lot better today since I used shampoo, but it does look a little dry to me. I think I'll try water washes and shampoo every 2 days and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your input!
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    Glad to hear you're having a better hair day, I know I have a better day in general when I do! Crazy how a little thing like hair can do that.
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    You can totally low poo all the time instead of CO-wash! It's your personal preference. I would try it for a little while and see how you like it. If your hair and scalp look and feel dry, maybe try water washing more often or low pooing and rubbing a little CO-wash conditioner on your scalp and rinsing it out. As long as your hair is relatively healthy and well-hydrated, I wouldn't worry about it! It sounds like your hair is in nice shape.

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • darkbeautyttdarkbeautytt Posts: 448Registered Users
    I stop cowashing my hair and shampoo sometime. But maybe I should try the water washing. Can someone explain the water washes please? Thanks

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Water washing is essentially the same as co-washing except without the conditioner, and under running water. In other words you give your scalp a really good massage with the pads of your fingers while the water runs over your hair and scalp. This is amazingly effective. In fact, my hair is always squeaky clean when I do this. After water washing, you would condition as usual.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Thanks for explaining that. I will try that tomorrow and will let you know how it goes

• pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The water washing hasn't been working out for me so far. I came across Beautiful Curls products at Whole Foods the other night. I used the wavy to curly shampoo and the curly to kinky leave-in. I did get a squeaky clean feel to my hair which I wasn't totally thrilled about and not a lot of slip with the leave-in. My hair is fine so I don't really need a lot of slip. It was overall a good hair day. I seemed to have more curl, but I also had a little canopy frizz. I got a few compliments so I'm going to try it again tomorrow.
    I tried the 365 degree whoke food brand abd it was not that bad I actually like that. I love the water wash and it made my hair soft but I used conditionr to seal after

• lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Posts: 478Registered Users
    I used the Curl Junkie shampoo and I actually liked it! More than I like Daily Fix.

I don't think I will use every day though, but I haven't been using any styling products (as I try to grow my hair out, I'm transitioning) but if I start using styling products again I may use just a teeny bit of this daily, we'll see.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
    Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:
    I have never tried the curl junky before but now I'm trying to follow the cg method and leave my hair alone I guess I have to learn the wash and go method

Ok so I went to whole foods the other day and picked up alafia conditioner and shampoo and I tried it on my hair OMG it was so moisturizing and it define my curls really interesting works like a charm lol give its a try

• lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Posts: 478Registered Users
    I have never tried the curl junky before but now I'm trying to follow the cg method and leave my hair alone I guess I have to learn the wash and go method

I need to re-learn how to shampoo my hair, while a lot of my hair is still relaxed (only 6 and half months post my last relaxer) it is not stick straight relaxed (like it used to turn out) and it tangles very easily when I wash my hair. I don't pile the shampoo on top of my head, but I think I am like "making a ball" if that makes sense at the nape of my neck, I need to try harder LOL
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
    Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:

Lol thats cute this is the new method im trying i put the shampoo on my fingers only then I massage my scalp like im applying oils then I rinse. Now take the cobditioner apply it to the hair and use it like shampoo run ur fingers tru it abd then rinse, now u can condition. So u shampoo ur scalp conditioner wash ur hair then cobditione after like u normally do hope that helps lol

I need to re-learn how to shampoo my hair, while a lot of my hair is still relaxed (only 6 and half months post my last relaxer) it is not stick straight relaxed (like it used to turn out) and it tangles very easily when I wash my hair. I don't pile the shampoo on top of my head, but I think I am like "making a ball" if that makes sense at the nape of my neck, I need to try harder LOL

Ok I just reply but it didnt show up lol

Lol I see wat you mean wat I do now is I put out the finger then I shampoo just the scalp then I cobditioner wash my hair then I rinse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file