Random questions about various things

Pretty much new here, and want to start doing no sulfates and no silicones SOON. But a few things:

1) I have fine hair. It's now down to my waist when I stretch it. I'm normally a 3a, but I find that sometimes I'm more 2c (maybe my curls get weighed down depending on what product I use?) Is this common?

2) I THINK I need to get a PT & start using it every once in awhile. But I'm afraid that when I use a DT afterward, it will weigh down my hair. From researching, I believe I have low porosity and medium texture. I could be wrong though.

3) I think I want to use AOHR conditioner, GVP Hair Reconstructor as a protein, and some kind of styling product (most likely HETT and/or Biotera Curl Creme). Any other suggestions?

4) Last...my curls have almost always started near my temple rather than from the top of my head. I'd like to change that, but I don't know how! Help?

Thanks to anyone who can help me :) I'm really loving this website!
Hair Type: 2c/3a on a good day
Thin density, low porosity.
Still trying to find best products for my hair! :happy7:

Comments

• SbudskySbudsky Posts: 261Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To answer your questions...

1) Yes, it's very common. You may be a 2c-3a like many others on the board... For me, it depends on weather, product, my hair's protein/moisture balance, and various other mysterious factors.

2) You should definitely do frequent PTs if you have fine hair. I don't usually DT after, but will make sure to use extra conditioner and LI to prevent drying out.

3) You might want to check out the Spiral Solutions line. It's great for fine-haired wavies and curlies. I love the Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel. The line also has some PTs, but I haven't tried them.

4) I think root curl is something you either have or you don't, but you can encourage more root curl by clipping at the roots. Some people will also rinse and apply product upside down.

Hope this helps!
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • lauren.819lauren.819 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Sbudsky wrote: »

1) Yes, it's very common. You may be a 2c-3a like many others on the board... For me, it depends on weather, product, my hair's protein/moisture balance, and various other mysterious factors.

2) You should definitely do frequent PTs if you have fine hair. I don't usually DT after, but will make sure to use extra conditioner and LI to prevent drying out.

3) You might want to check out the Spiral Solutions line. It's great for fine-haired wavies and curlies. I love the Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel. The line also has some PTs, but I haven't tried them.

4) I think root curl is something you either have or you don't, but you can encourage more root curl by clipping at the roots. Some people will also rinse and apply product upside down.

Hope this helps!

It does help, thank you! What does LI mean? And I'm assuming Spiral Solutions is found online, right?
    lauren.819 wrote: »
    Sbudsky wrote: »

Hope this helps!

It does help, thank you! What does LI mean? And I'm assuming Spiral Solutions is found online, right?

Never mind; I realized that LI must mean Leave-In.
    Ok, my main concern is products weighing down my hair and not getting defined curls. I am hoping to try different things out, but I never could use gels as they make my hair frizz a lot. I stick with creamy styling products instead. Now I'm thinking that creamy products might weigh my hair down since it's getting longer? Ahh I don't know...do you know any good LIGHT styling products for fine, thin curly hair?
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    First, I'd like to say Welcome! Secondly, I'm not an expert on your hair type because mine is probably quite different than yours. :)

1. This is definitely very common. The weight and your products can weigh down hair. Also, your hair can be a mix of different textures too.

2. I think almost all hair types can benefit from deep treatments. But we all have different DT needs. I can use heavy products, oils, and butters without weighing my hair down negatively (I actually want my hair to weigh down some). For you, you should try using a lighter DT. You don't need to buy anything special. Just use your regular conditioner if you'd like... add a bit of honey, a bit of a light oil (like safflower oil or jojoba oil) and leave it in for a long time with a plastic cap. You can try it once and if you feel it leaves your hair too weighed down, just do a very quick low-poo to wash out some more of the conditioner/oil.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
    First, I'd like to say Welcome! Secondly, I'm not an expert on your hair type because mine is probably quite different than yours. :)

1. This is definitely very common. The weight and your products can weigh down hair. Also, your hair can be a mix of different textures too.

2. I think almost all hair types can benefit from deep treatments. But we all have different DT needs. I can use heavy products, oils, and butters without weighing my hair down negatively (I actually want my hair to weigh down some). For you, you should try using a lighter DT. You don't need to buy anything special. Just use your regular conditioner if you'd like... add a bit of honey, a bit of a light oil (like safflower oil or jojoba oil) and leave it in for a long time with a plastic cap. You can try it once and if you feel it leaves your hair too weighed down, just do a very quick low-poo to wash out some more of the conditioner/oil.

Thanks!
    So for example, if I use a PT (I'm thinking one from Sally Beauty), I should use that and then a light DT right after, correct?
    So for a DT, I can just mix in a regular conditioner? (I want to buy a good but light one..I heard good things about AOHR and various other RO as well, but I'm afraid they're too heavy.) I guess I'll have to experiment a lot, as I know is definitely needed for curls anyway.
    I've been doing a lot of research on styling products as well, and I want to try CJ products. But I've always always used mousse in my hair...I've heard it's drying though, and that's the last thing I want.
    So many concerns of mine lol. I guess it will just take time.
    Ok, here's what I'm thinking of going to buy today. If someone can reply telling me what they think:

Suave Naturals Coconut (co-wash)
    AOHR (for RO & IN)
    Biotera Alcohol-Free Mousse and Curl Creme (for styling)

Anything I'm missing?
    I do want to try different styling products soon, but for now, I want to try things I can find in the store rather than online.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file