Bioterra Gel

LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
I searched the archives but I can't find a recent post on this. Anyone *still* use this stuff? :)

Back in 2008 it was a lot of people's HG, but they were using it with LIs and I can' treally use a LI (maybe AG re:coil if that is considered a LI) ...

I want to try it but don't know what to try it with.

Is it medium hold? (I have a big sample so nothing on the label).

What do you fine-haired, protein loving curlies use it with?
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!

Comments

• jenniferfelicejenniferfelice Posts: 18Registered Users
    I still use it! I use it with biotera curl creme and love the stuff. Yes it is a medium hold but I find it to work well. I haven't used it with anything else so I don't know what else it would work well with.
    3b curly, medium texture and porosity?

CO wash: Suave Ocean Breeze, Strawberry or Treseme Naturals

Rinse Out: Giovanni 50:50 or Biolage Conditioning Balm

Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, DLI, Suave conditioners, KCKT

Stylers: KCCC, Aussie Volume Gel, HE SMU, Biotera Curl Creme and Styling Gel (HGs), FSG!!

DT: JWCT

Experimenting with: Boots

Lots of experimenting but finally got a routine down :)

CG since Jan. 10/11
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use it! I have medium hair and it has enough hold for my curls. :)
    Try it without a LI and see how it works for you. I don't usually use a LI, I just use my same rinse out and rinse as much as needed for the day, then use the gel on top of that, nothing else.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • mesuemesue Posts: 244Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used it today over FSG. Also have used it over the Bioterra curl creme. Yeah, I'd say medium hold.
    Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
    Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
    Still experimenting with products and routine.
    So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    I have thin/fine hair and normal porosity. I'll see how it works alone and with FSG beneath it. Thanks!!

Okay, this was a definite NO for me today alone. Did a cowash with suave, RO with CJ smoothing and then did a bunch of bioterra (a quarter size ?) and it dried in a frizzy poof. It's soft and shiny but it's a poof.

So I don't know if I should try FSG beneath, if that would help - or something like recoil, which is one of the few LIs I can use. Maybe I'll try recoil.

But I'm confused about all these mid-hold gels like Goddess glaze, CJ CQ, this, etc. how many of them do I need? None of them actually work all that great - except for CJ CQ

• *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    I like Biotera gel mixed with AOMM.

I put about a pea-sized drop of AOMM in my hand and mix it with a quarter-sized dollop of Biotera and then rake it through my hair. I do this for the front, back and sides. So usually between 3 and 4 quarter sized dollops all together.

My sister likes to use KCCC over Biotera gel. She also uses a lot more than a quarter size of the Biotera for her entire head. But I'm not sure of the exact amount. Or how much of the KCCC she uses.
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I use biotera gel over Spiral solutions CEJ and FHG, and then put a harder hold gel like HE SMU on top of it.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use it in the summer, I need a harder hold in the winter. I had a big liter bottle, but I finally got my sister to go CG, so I gave her my bottle. She's a very fine 3b, I'm a thick coarse 3b. I need more hold than she does. She loves it. I also gave her my CJ Smoothing Lotion LI and she loves that too (I didn't) so she's using the LI, then the Bioterra over it, and that's it. That combo is working well for her.I gave her my TJ's Nourish for a RO and that's working well too.
    HTH!
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
    Angela, I use AOMM (with KCCC) and love it. I just had to order more.

I'm nervous about trying it again b/c it made my hair so poofy and coated.

Is smoothing lotion a LI? I've always used it as a RO. But that might be worth trying. I feel like I need something moisturizing beneath it.
    I use it in the summer, I need a harder hold in the winter. I had a big liter bottle, but I finally got my sister to go CG, so I gave her my bottle. She's a very fine 3b, I'm a thick coarse 3b. I need more hold than she does. She loves it. I also gave her my CJ Smoothing Lotion LI and she loves that too (I didn't) so she's using the LI, then the Bioterra over it, and that's it. That combo is working well for her.I gave her my TJ's Nourish for a RO and that's working well too.
    HTH!

LilaGirl wrote: »
    Angela, I use AOMM (with KCCC) and love it. I just had to order more.

I'm nervous about trying it again b/c it made my hair so poofy and coated.

It sounds like you have several products and combos you like and that work for you...maybe Biotera is just not going to be one of them. If you do use it again I would try using more of the Biotera...a quarter size may just not have been enough product for your hair. I find I need quite a bit to get good definition and hold.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

I'll give it one more shot... just not sure if I should try it with AOMM, Smoothing, or Ag Recoil...

• jenniferfelicejenniferfelice Posts: 18Registered Users
    I agree about needing more Biotera gel than any other gel, I probably use about 3 quarters full if not more each time I use it and get minimal crunch...it's just one of those gels that you need a ton to work. lol
    3b curly, medium texture and porosity?

CO wash: Suave Ocean Breeze, Strawberry or Treseme Naturals

Rinse Out: Giovanni 50:50 or Biolage Conditioning Balm

Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, DLI, Suave conditioners, KCKT

Stylers: KCCC, Aussie Volume Gel, HE SMU, Biotera Curl Creme and Styling Gel (HGs), FSG!!

DT: JWCT

Experimenting with: Boots

Lots of experimenting but finally got a routine down :)

CG since Jan. 10/11
    I'll give it one more shot... just not sure if I should try it with AOMM, Smoothing, or Ag Recoil...

Not much help here...I've only used it alone or with AOMM...never tried the other products. You may just have to try it three more times :geek:

• liongirl29liongirl29 Posts: 42Registered Users
    And I think I like it, however the bottle says "firm" hold and I would say it's more of a light to medium, unless I didn't use enough. I am wary of using too much of any product right away (thinner hair). I put it over the Biotera Curl Creme. My hair looked pretty good, but like you it was a little soft and poofy.

Maybe try using more? That's my next try too. :)
    Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
    Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
    Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
    I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
    Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!
    I used it again over re: coil... but it was so humid yesterday so I think I got more poof than I may have if it wasn't so humid.

Hmm... I don't know if I'll go for it again. My hair loves AOMM and KCCC - just those two alone, so I can try this.

I'm just not seeing the real point of it I guess. Doesn't offer a ton of hold and it's giving me poof, whereas I prefer weight/elongated curls so... not sure.

Have you tried it with AOMM yet?

• curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have been using Bioterra for years with good results. I am a 3A/B mixture with hair length just below my shoulders. I agree that the hold is fairly light and if the humidity is high I also use a styling lotion (can't remember the name now - it's a generic at Sallys - will check when I get home). The Bioterra doesn't hold up to humidity very well on it's own. I always put in some leave-in conditioner before the Bioterra, I usually use Suave Coconut. I use a half dollar amount and run that from root to tips. Then I use a quarter size amount and put it on the ends on one side, then another quarter size amount and put it on the ends on the other side - if that makes sense.

I find that I have to take care to make sure that Bioterra actually covers my ends. I don't really like to disturb my curl pattern with a comb or finger raking so I think it makes it more difficult to try to get even coverage with my styling products.

I also find that if I don't keep my hair moisturized - then Bioterra doesn't do an exceptional job of controlling any frizz or poof and I just need to step up my conditioning.
    Bioterra is feeling a little high maintenence to me. IDK. If I don't immediately love something or see its benefits, I don't know - it's like FSG. I don't see the point. It doesn't hold, doesn't affect curl formation. It's just kind of there - creating poof.

Bioterra is feeling a little high maintenence to me. IDK. If I don't immediately love something or see its benefits, I don't know - it's like FSG. I don't see the point. It doesn't hold, doesn't affect curl formation. It's just kind of there - creating poof.

I totally understand, I'm the same way. I don't have the patience for difficult products. Especially if I've found something I already like and am just experimenting with other products.

Because I'm so in love with Curl Queen I've stopped using other products I've used successfully in the past. Mainly because the drying time with Curl Queen is about half of any other product and the results are consistently great hair days.

yeah, i want to give it a shot with the right combo and really see, so I'll do it one more time! :)

But so far, I'm not getting great results, and if someone is saying it's not great in humidity, well then what's the point! :)

Gotcha. Thankfully humidity is one thing I don't have much of an issue with. I hope your next trial combo gets better results.

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have tried it and tried it as well. Too little=no hold. Too much to try to get better hold=greasy looking, limp waves. I am keeping mine to try in the summer.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    What makes you think it'll work better in the summer?

Is it kinda used like FSG?

I got great results tonight with FSG and re:coil over it. GREAT results. I'm talking like some of the best hair ever!

I wonder if bioterra can act like FSG? I just don't even get the stuff really. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file