Shea Moisture products bad for my hair?!!

2»

Comments

• Kish36Kish36 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey ladies. I really hate that Curl Enhancing Smoothie..it smells like JAM hair gel and I cant take it. Plus its too heavy and leaves my hair looking ashy. The masque was ok though. I plan on swapping the smoothie.
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Kish36 wrote: »
    Hey ladies. I really hate that Curl Enhancing Smoothie..it smells like JAM hair gel and I cant take it. Plus its too heavy and leaves my hair looking ashy. The masque was ok though. I plan on swapping the smoothie.
    I love the smell of JAM!
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• LanishaLanisha Curl Neophyte Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    I love the smell of JAM!

Me too! But I don't think it smells anything like Jam. Last night I had better luck with it by putting it on right in the shower. I stuck my head under the water and then applied like half a palmful of it to sopping wet hair. You're right though, it is super heavy. I added more and I probably would have been fine with just half a palmful. Doing it this way made it SUPER easy to spread through my hair and I didn't have to section. My hair absorbed it by morning, and it wasn't white like it normally is with the smoothie. And it's not ashy now.
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    Lanisha wrote: »
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    I love the smell of JAM!

Me too! But I don't think it smells anything like Jam. Last night I had better luck with it by putting it on right in the shower. I stuck my head under the water and then applied like half a palmful of it to sopping wet hair. You're right though, it is super heavy. I added more and I probably would have been fine with just half a palmful. Doing it this way made it SUPER easy to spread through my hair and I didn't have to section. My hair absorbed it by morning, and it wasn't white like it normally is with the smoothie. And it's not ashy now.

Ugh.. you know, I'm trying so hard to justify using that deep treatment masque since I can't find my receipt to return it. Tried it the same way you did, tried it as a leave-in and it just ain't working. It just seems like every time I put some product with shea butter in my hair, my hair just starts breaking off badly. I'm glad it's working for you though!! :-( *smdh*
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't sound TOO rude, but how are we supposed to tell you what is making this product not work for you? Like... Why couldn't you just read the ingredients on the products that you have and figure it out got yourself?

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App

JESUS KEEP MY NEAR THE CROSS!!!

Lord take the wheel, lift me up and hold my mule.

im dead goodnight!!!

*DEAD* :toothy10:
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • MzmorenazaMzmorenaza Posts: 884Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't sound TOO rude, but how are we supposed to tell you what is making this product not work for you? Like... Why couldn't you just read the ingredients on the products that you have and figure it out got yourself?

JESUS KEEP MY NEAR THE CROSS!!!

Lord take the wheel, lift me up and hold my mule.

im dead goodnight!!!

:laughing6: I'm dying over here
    studying on my PJ undergrad degree ) ;)
    [PHP][/PHP]
    texture : coarse
    porosity: normal
    elasticity: normal
    The first time I used the smoothie I did not like it, however I tried it yesterday and used a lil tiny bit and that did the trick I love it and it smells great to me, you might want to give the product another try
    [PHP][/PHP]
  • SumKindaWndrfulSumKindaWndrful Posts: 12Registered Users

Lol. +2 I was thinking the same thing but tried to be nice

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App

I thought that was the point of forums, to aid one another. *shrugs*

My hair loves loves loves Shea butter but HATES Shea Moisture. What the OP described is exactly what the smoothies did to my hair! It make it look ok but dries it out tremendously and the it feels AWFUL after washing. It's definitely not the Shea butter bc that is the main thing I swear by for my hair. I tried using a little of the smoothie, using a lot, putting it on dry, damp and soaking hair. No difference. And it flakes pretty bad too. Smells great but is BAD for my hair!
  • freshwaterpearlfreshwaterpearl Curl Neophyte Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought this forum was called "Curl Talk":dontknow:.

Bobo77 I finally tried all the conditioners and masque for each line of the Shea moisture products. The yucca & the african black soap masque feel great on my hair but when I rinse it out it left my hair frizzy and sort of hard to the touch. When I dc my hair feels moisturized but not this time. I tried the yucca hair milk but I had to apply alot of it because it did not feel moisturizing enough. It is a great line and I can see why alot of people like it but so far I'm not sure I'll re-purchase. HTH
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Curltalk not giveyouanswerstoquestionsthatwecouldn'tpossiblyknowtheanswertotalk. :-P

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    this is a a board where people seek help from eachother. however "which ingredient in this product is making it not work on MY hair?" =/= "what techniques have you guys used to make this product work for you?"

it just doesn't. you can (have to, actually) find the answer to the first question on your own, there's not much that ppl can do to figure out what ingredient/formula someone else' hair likes. the second question makes a lot more sense, but that's not the question asked in the OP. if that's what the OP was looking for, that's what the OP should have said. why even ask about ingredients compared to products that she loves?

pardon me for a)actually thinking the question in the OP was the question she actually wanted and answer for, and b)thinking that ppl should at try to do their own research before running to some hair board expecting ppl to give them answers to questions they very well could have answered themselves (part b is in response to the question in the OP, not the question that she actually wanted the question to, apparently)

yes... the name of the board is Curltalk... and?
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Everyone's all heated up here...:shock:

Anyway, just try using the product different ways. Like someone else said, the restorative trauma masque was crap as a deep conditioner for me and dried my hair out; I tried it on my ends when my hair's damp, dry to add moisture and it's wonderful for that. I probably won't repurchase it (the hair milk's my staple anyway though so it doesn't matter) but it's lovely as a leave in.

But yah, you really should try listing your hair's properties/texture/porosity for more help. Or keep a journal of what you use and how your hair reacts to it. That way you can figure out what ingredients work and which ones don't. It's just trial and error, hun.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Along with what itsKelCeeEee said, when I try a new product, I have to make sure my hair is shampooed (not just co-wash) to get a clear idea how its working on my hair.

FWIW, the Deep Treatment Masque is crap as a conditioner/masque. I read the ingredients before buying and there was nothing in the ingredients that suggested it wouldn't work on my hair, so that's not always the be all end all. I'm just going to continue to use it in henna glosses, mix it with other conditioners, use it as a leave-in/styler, etc until its gone.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • Al1020BlueAl1020Blue Posts: 147Registered Users
    I use the Masque as a DT (Im still new to the game) but I do add honey, grapeseed oils and jojoba oil to mine (trying to work with my highly porous hair) which most people will tell you any conditioner can be great with some oil and honey (just an option if you want to use the rest of it up...)HTH
    If at first you don't succeed you must try, try, try again...:disgust:

Current Products:

Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo & SM African Black Soap

LI Condish: Oyin HH, SM DTM, SM Y&A Milk
    DC: SM DTM, Honey & Oil Blend
    Stylers: Oyin S&D, Oyin BSP, Oyin J&B, EcoStyler (Blue), SM C&S Milk
    Oils: Tea Tree, Grapeseed, EVOO, Vatika Oil, Sweet Almond, Avocado Oil, SM RSB Elixir

We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness - A. Schweitzer
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    Mzmorenaza wrote: »
    The first time I used the smoothie I did not like it, however I tried it yesterday and used a lil tiny bit and that did the trick I love it and it smells great to me, you might want to give the product another try

Hey! I don't know if you were talking to me, but i'm still on this long journey of trying to see what wrks and what doesn't. I read your post and decided to try my Deep Treatment Masque on a dry twistout instead of on wet hair.

It seems that shea butter on my wet hair causes it to fall out... perhaps because it is too heavy!! I am now on day 2 of my dry twistout and my hair/scalp is still moisturized and smelling lovely, and I didn't even have to spray with water this morning!

I feel like I'm climbing up a knowledge ladder here... it's great to learn things that are unique to you.

*** greenandchic: Mixing it with other oils sounds like a bright idea! If you use shea butter for dry styles, you may want to try using it for twists or braids... and see how that works for you. I'm gonna use my jar only for dry twistouts.. and repurchase again depending on how I feel about that. I'm puttin' that $$$ to work!!

Blessings everyone :-o!
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ReynaCR wrote: »

Hey! I don't know if you were talking to me, but i'm still on this long journey of trying to see what wrks and what doesn't. I read your post and decided to try my Deep Treatment Masque on a dry twistout instead of on wet hair.

It seems that shea butter on my wet hair causes it to fall out... perhaps because it is too heavy!! I am now on day 2 of my dry twistout and my hair/scalp is still moisturized and smelling lovely, and I didn't even have to spray with water this morning!

I feel like I'm climbing up a knowledge ladder here... it's great to learn things that are unique to you.

*** greenandchic: Mixing it with other oils sounds like a bright idea! If you use shea butter for dry styles, you may want to try using it for twists or braids... and see how that works for you. I'm gonna use my jar only for dry twistouts.. and repurchase again depending on how I feel about that. I'm puttin' that $$$ to work!!

That will be my next project when I do a twist-out (probably tonight). I will use it at the end of that cycle in case I feel the need to wash that out of my hair.

I agree with you, I am putting that stuff to work. I will have 1/2 jar left. The only product I ever had to throw in the garbage was Cantu Shea Butter. That stuff was good for nothing!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    ReynaCR wrote: »

I'm glad it worked for you, I'm on the same journey too of learning to try stuff more than once before I come to a conclusion.
    b4 I would try a product and if I didn't like I would pass it on or swapped it, now I'm left with a million stuff so I'm working on what combos work for me. The smoothie with the new Garnier fructis pure and clean (I think that's the name) is a great combo. This is my second time buying the smoothie the 1st time I gave it away after the first tried.
    [PHP][/PHP]
  • Alta DivaAlta Diva Posts: 4Registered Users
    That's exactly what I do and it gives me the most moisturized braidouts EVAH!

khallida wrote: »
    Along with the smoothie, try their hair milk. The smoothid is the curling agent. Needs to bring followed with moistutizer (this works 4 me, thick 3c)

curlyK
  • hookilauhookilau Posts: 269Registered Users
    OP, Could it be the protein in the curling smoothie that your hair is reacting to?

Due to an unfortunate Renpure (red bottle) incident, I figured out that products with proteins are either NOT for me :angry7: or to be used *ever* so sparingly.

After the Renpure incident, I was compiling a list of all the products I'd used recently as well as the ingredients & my reaction (ie: good vs bad etc).

Halfway through the list I realized the common denominator was various proteins. One of those products happened to be SMCS. Added to the list of products used since I started this whole thing about 2 yrs ago; shea butter, aloe and coconut oil to lesser degrees. However the reaction was just like protein.

I found this surprising since I have fine hair with med porosity but cannot deny the outcome of using product with protein. SMCS did not work for me.

Though this may not be the case with you, it's worth considering.
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
  • adthomasadthomas Curl Neophyte Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hookilau wrote: »
    OP, Could it be the protein in the curling smoothie that your hair is reacting to?

Due to an unfortunate Renpure (red bottle) incident, I figured out that products with proteins are either NOT for me :angry7: or to be used *ever* so sparingly.

After the Renpure incident, I was compiling a list of all the products I'd used recently as well as the ingredients & my reaction (ie: good vs bad etc).

Halfway through the list I realized the common denominator was various proteins. One of those products happened to be SMCS. Added to the list of products used since I started this whole thing about 2 yrs ago; shea butter, aloe and coconut oil to lesser degrees. However the reaction was just like protein.

I found this surprising since I have fine hair with med porosity but cannot deny the outcome of using product with protein. SMCS did not work for me.

Though this may not be the case with you, it's worth considering.

Good for you. We always tell people to keep a diary and figure out which ingredients your hair likes/dislikes. I try to only buy products based on what ingredients my hair likes and not what a product promises. I save a lot of money now where I used to waste so much money before. Every now and then some new shiny product with forbiden fruit comes along and tempts me and believe you me I pay. I just threw several salon stying products from before I shopped this way in the trash. SMCES is not moisturizing enough and too heavy with oils for my fine hair. I had to use it as a sealer over my li and very little of it. Took me a long time to use up. if something doesnt work try applying a couple different ways before cutting it loose. For instance my hair is low porosity so I cant apply anything to soaking wet hair. Only damp. And remember sucky conditioners for hair make great shaving cream. :)
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Flavia.SantoFlavia.Santo Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm transitioning and my the last time i relaxed was last summer of 2014. I used to wash and go but my it will make my hair only look wavy.I thought it was my natural texture so i just let it be (i wasn't really experience about this whole natural thing because since i'm mixed my mother didn't knew how to take care of my natural hair so she perm it up) just about 3 weeks ago i research and learned about the method of twist out or braid out at night. Which consists on brushing my hair in different sections and braiding it out . I used Cantu's Shea moisture and since then my hair has changed because it stopped the frizz and has define my curls. Also my aunt (She's a hairstylist and she's helping me to transition) has noticed that my hair has become thicker since using Shea moisture and my once wavy looking hair now has become loop ringlets in the form of "s". Well everyone has different types of hair. I used the moisturing twist & lock gel from cantu and put on a satin bonet. My hair used to be really dry but now it has more moisture
  • Chelsea_TitoChelsea_Tito Curl Neophyte Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Recently I have tried Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water and i love it because it’s supposed to be a weightless shampoo and conditione. I love Shea moisturizer products my only problem is I need a cleansing shampoo that doesn’t have too much moisture or else it will make my hair look greasy and lumpy and like I didn’t clean it. I’m trying this new product and I love it because it real works the way it says it does my hair type is between 2a/3c hair and so it might work differently for you than for me but so far it’s the perfect balance of being healthy and not adding too much oils 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file