Help me please! My hair is a mess!

Hey, everyone! Here goes...as a youngster I always had wavy-ish hair, but as my mom passed away when I was young, my dad could barely manage running a comb (yes, one of those unbreakable ones lol!) through my hair during the mornings, let alone give me styling help. Then my hair went straight...then I hit high school and BAM, I had wavy hair again. However, I have no idea how to style it. You'd think after seven years I'd figure it out, but no! After lurking the forums, I think I've found the salon I want to go to for a proper cut (never had a curly cut!) but I need to save up first.

Anyway, do any of you fine folks have any suggestions for me as far as styling goes? The last picture is the length it's at now. Oh, and my BIGGEST problem that I need to take into consideration...my bottom layer is STRAIGHT. I don't know why, but since my wave "reappeared" it only came back on the top and not the bottom. You can see this best in the first picture. I *think* the majority of my hair is 2c, on a good day 3a, but I'm not entirely sure. Thank you so much!

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do come check out and introduce yourself on the wavy (2s) board. You'll find such understanding, helpful people who know how to make the most of waves.
    If you're not familiar with it already, get to know this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html. All the magic is here -- or at least most of it.

As for cutting - it's all a matter of geography, income, and luck. Most of us wavies really like to get as much moisture out of the hair as possible right away with t-shirts or special towels so that the water doesn't pull out the waves.

Welcome!
  • rj16rj16 Posts: 186Registered Users
    I second that, the 2s board rocks!
  • jbaybayyjbaybayy Posts: 38Registered Users
    Awesome, thanks so much for the help guys!
  • IrinaIrina Posts: 100Registered Users
    Your hair looks ok in the last picture, definately doesn't look like "a mess". :) But if you want to improve the texture and the style, I would suggest putting LESS styling products into it. It looks a bit limp and I'm guessing you either put a lot of mousse in or a lot of gel. If you're not putting in a lot of hair products, your hair could just be too moisturized.

I wish you luck in figuring out the perfect styling solution to solve your hair "problem". It looks very healthy and pretty to me! Good luck! Also, I would suggest going to the "2's" forum to find more answers. :-)

Irina
    Been every color in the human hair spectrum! +HENNA
    CURRENTLY: BSL Light Golden Blonde (growing out bleach)

PRODUCTS: Aussie Moist CO, Silk Elements DT, Roux Treatment & Shine, Giovanni Hair Styling Foam, Aveeno Nourish + Shine, CO washing w/ vo5

natural DTs are amazing:toothy4:

3a/3b

om-symbol.jpg"The soul carries the potential, the mind carries the intention, the brain produces the result."
    Thanks, Irina! I'm learning a lot just by surfing the boards already. I think you're right, too much product! I'm also going to try out CG...I think my hair has a lot of potential. Thanks again!
  • DrawingwithwordsDrawingwithwords Posts: 106Registered Users
    I definitely don't have your wave or style but I must say...it looks pretty darn nice to me! :toothy6: Honestly, I think it's very pretty. Hope you get the answers you're looking for though!
    Me to stylist: "Please don't Doodle all over my head, I like my curls just the way they are, thank you." :afro:
  • CurlsanewCurlsanew Posts: 40Registered Users
    Welcome!

I would suggest getting your product and hair care routine established, if you haven't already. Research the threads on here about porosity and texture so you'll know which ingredients will be best for your hair. Give yourself some time to figure out what works for you and let your hair show its curl potential.

These are some threads showing how heads were transformed after a change in hair care regimens. Some people see changes in weeks, others take longer.

Then when you've got a true feel for what your hair can do, then I'd go to a stylist. That's just my opinion and it's dependent on you not being in dire need of a haircut.
    Med-fine texture, med/high porosity. BC 9/22/11. Hard H2O
    Pre-poo: Coconut oil (sometimes)
    Weekly Shampoo: QH Royal Curl Shampoo, Shea Moisture, Dessert Essence
    Condish: Sauve Naturals Coconut, Vo5, CJ BS, CJ CAS.
    Leave In: Knot Today, CJ CCCC Lite,
    Gel: Kinky Curly CC, CJ Pattern Pusha
    Treament: CJ DF Banana Hibiscus, CJ Repair Me
    SOTC: Jojoba oil
    drawingwithwords- Thanks so much, that means a lot to me! I have just about had it with my hair, so thanks for uplifting my spirits haha!

curlsanew- Thanks for the link, I had no idea there was a before/after for wavies thread, woohoo!! Good advice...I'm going to go buy my products tonight, I'm so excited.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file