Porous and Dew Point over 70º?

geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
What did you do with your hair today?

Do you have porous or somewhat porous hair? Is it hot and humid with dew points over 70º F where you are? If so...Please share your hair story for this sultry day. :angryfire:

What products, amounts, tools, or methods did you use? Did you have a good hair day? Your detailed hair properties, ingredient preferences, and photos are appreciated.

There are many approaches to achieving good hair in high dew points. These include using:
--- Humectants, Some Humectants, No Humectants, Anti-Humectants
--- Less Leave In, No LI, Sealants
--- Lighter Conditioner, Heavier Conditioner
--- Vinegar Rinses, Cold Water Rinses
--- More Protein, Less Protein
--- More Gel / Hold

:sunny: What keeps your frizz at bay on hot and humid days?
m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets

Comments

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Tested half my head using almond oil to seal my cuticle yesterday late afternoon. I mixed a dime sized puddle of oil into 2 peas LI (CJCASC) and raked it in. Both sides got LI, FSG, and SSFHSG. After diffusing till mostly dry then air drying, the oiled side was frizzy and the non-oiled was not. Dew point 72 then. Apparently, sealing my cuticle with oil is not the answer, though I might test it again some time.

Today (DP 74º right now): both sides look about the same as one another. The length looks good, but I have a frizzy halo (been having one since DP went up).
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gecko, I feel your pain! I'm glad to say the dewpoints here are low, but those high horrid dewpoints are coming. I simply don't know what to do when the dewpoints are really high and they connect with my high porosity (colored) hair.

I'm hoping others will chime in. Thanks for this post - we need help!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For the past two days, my area has had high dewpoints and humidity. My hair loves this weather condition! My hair is moisturized, uses less product, and has little to no frizz. I don't know why. Also, when this weather condition occurs, I don't have split ends. When I used to live in the tropics, I never had to trim or dust my ends, and conditioners would last about a year because I didn't need them as much.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
    Hi everyone! So glad you are tuning in.

Yesterday I tested using more gel. On one side of my wet hair, I used 2 peas BRGH (the usual) and on the second I used 6 peas. After drying, both sides looked about the same as one another - nice glossy spirals and waves plus short crown hairs sticking straight up (!). Today (2nd day hair), my hair is quite poofy and the curls are loose (not calling it frizz); the side with less gel looks better. The halo frizz is major. Tried BRHG and olive oil on separate sections to weigh down the halo; not a lasting effect. Looks like BRGH is not the key for me.

Greatcurls - Would you please post your winning high dew point routine - product amounts, methods, the works? I (and maybe others) would love to test it out.
    gecko wrote: »
    Hi everyone! So glad you are tuning in....
    Greatcurls - Would you please post your winning high dew point routine - product amounts, methods, the works? I (and maybe others) would love to test it out.

Gecko, thank you for your kind words. The routine is actually simple:

1. If hair feels really dry, do a pre-treatment first. This can be a hot oil treatment or placing a conditioner or oil on hair for about 20-30 minutes.

2. Use a PT, such as Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment if your hair is "too stretchy and is really tangly-is that a word?! LOL". I'm also using the Shima Repair Treatment because it's a protein treatment.

2. Shampoo or cowash. The shampoos/co-wash are in my signature. (The Shima shampoo is actually a protein shampoo, so if you follow the directions you won't need to pre-treat).

My hair cleansing schedule varies, but usually it's about every 10 days (mostly co-washing) for dry seasons; humid seasons are every 21 days with water rinsing and using a spritzer in between. For some reason during the high humidity and dew points, water acts like a "moisturizer" for my hair. I use the spritzer about 4 times a month, where as in winter it's about 2-3 times a week.

3. Use a moisturizing DC. Some (I'm a conditioner junkie!) of my favorites are Mop Top DC, Spiral Solutions DDMT, MC Deep Conditioner, CJ HBDF Moisturizing Conditioner, Jessicurl WKDC Treatment, and BB Herbal Reconditioner. I do rinse with tepid to cool water.

These next three steps will vary as to your hair's response:

a) I plop with a T-shirt first to get out the excess water. Before a styler is used, a moisturizing leave-in that I can use a spritzer as well is necessary.( One that helped my hair survived the winter is Taliah Wajiid Protective Mist Bodifier or SS Leave-in Protein Spray). But I've also used moisturizing stylers such as the MC leave-in while my hair was sopping wet. It works because then my hair is defined without frizz, but is still soft.

Some examples of other moisturizing stylers are Jessicurl Confident Coils Styling Solution, Mixed Chicks Leave-in, Innersense Quiet Calm Curl Control, KCCC, or the CJ line.

b. About 2-3 times a week including nights, if necessary, I spritz my hair with a leave-in moisturizer.

4. The last step is protecting my hair so that the next day it's moisturized and still has the style. This is done by using a satin cap, one large braid, or pineappling. Many curlies are successful with a satin pillowcase.

So far, all the LI's I've used have glycerin in them. I usually don't have a problem with glycerin, even in low humidity. However, it does need to have at least 2 or 3 moisturizing alcohols near it, otherwise my hair is greasy and dry.

Thanks for asking the question, and I hope this helps. :profileleft:
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Dew points here are in the upper 50's...perfect for my hair. But when it's in the 70's I definitely have to change things up. Very little humectants will work for me in high and low dews, so I avoid glycerin at all costs. I use more gel, I use no LI (honestly I only use LI usually in the winter) and I have to low poo more often.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greatcurls - Thanks for the details!
    Rymorg - you too!
  • Al1020BlueAl1020Blue Posts: 147Registered Users
    I'm in FL today the dewpoint is 67, but for the last few weeks its been over 70 (typically mid 70s)...I got a recommendation to try CJ CQ, has anyone tried that?
    If at first you don't succeed you must try, try, try again...:disgust:

Current Products:

Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo & SM African Black Soap

LI Condish: Oyin HH, SM DTM, SM Y&A Milk
    DC: SM DTM, Honey & Oil Blend
    Stylers: Oyin S&D, Oyin BSP, Oyin J&B, EcoStyler (Blue), SM C&S Milk
    Oils: Tea Tree, Grapeseed, EVOO, Vatika Oil, Sweet Almond, Avocado Oil, SM RSB Elixir

We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness - A. Schweitzer
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Honestly, I wear a lot of updos in gross weather like that because I hate the feel of hair on my neck and back in that heat.

But, if I wear my hair down, this is what I do. I'm medium-coarse and porous. Much of what I do in the summer relates to being porous.

After washing/conditioning, I apply leave in to sopping wet hair. I do this because I want as much wetness and moisture in my hair as possible. High dew point frizz is caused by having more moisture in the air than in the hair. Upping moisture in the hair helps offset the imbalance. So, I apply more moisture to wet hair to help keep it in. I also seal with mango oil to help further retain moisture. My hair is porous, so I want to seal the cuticle as much as possible. Skipping the leave in or sealing can be disastrous.

I style with KCCC. It is a good curl setter for me. I then also use a small amount of a gel with PVP/PVA copolymer because the polymer is very effective for me in high dew points.

I avoid glycerin for its bad effects on my hair dye. But, I think many would do well to experiment with avoiding it in dew points above 60F to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Blue - I too am curious about CQ since the ingredients sound good for high dew points.

Tested a little leave in vs. more leave in at 74º dew point.

Last night pre-washed with a little EVOO. This morn, CeraVeHC cowash , CJCR RO, dilute ACV rinse (forgot to do it before RO), 6 peas CJCASC LI on left, 2 peas CJCASC LI on right, styled with lots of FSG and 2 index finger scoops KCCC and 4 peas BRHG (added to soaking wet hair), plopped, diffused partially. Did the low protein thing because recently od'd on protein.

Results - the less leave-in side, the right side, fared better by the end of the day. Crown strays were less noticeable, more crown volume, underside stayed put better (not that anyone sees it). The rest looked about the same on both sides and I am ok with the frizz level on everywhere but the crown. Welcoming ideas on what to do with short (new), course, bumpy, white hairs that stick straight up (EVOO seems to be calming them, but not enough yet).

Pics are from 8:30 this eve (my left side has more LI): back, crown, left underneath, right underneath
    Day 2:

Hair holding up fine. Looks about the same as yesterday except more crown frizz after un-pineappleing (though not as much as other high dew days). Smoothed hair with FSG 4 hours ago and now looks like last evening. Trying a new concoction (for me) of touch-up FSG today and having better results than pomade, conditioner, gel, etc. or my regular runny FSG. It has agave nectar and ascorbic acid (the usual) plus a few drops olive oil and safflower oil, thickened to a jelly with xanthan gum.
    I'm dreading the high dews which are coming and I'm confused because somewhere on nc.com I read that in very high dews we should be using less moisture - less rich conditioners than in winter but that seems to be the reverse of what is being said here. ??

Can somebody clear this up.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • hellohorcruxhellohorcrux Posts: 27Registered Users
    All I can say is puffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuff. It's hot, humid MESS in Virginia and my hair is not reacting well at allllllllll. However, I've discovered if I get a good bit of moisture in, it won't absorb much more and puff so badly, so try a leave-in. Leave-ins always make my hair look greasy, but when combined with nasty weather, it kind of evens out and makes my hair look somewhat normal.
    Still hopeless, though. Try fairie dust or something.
    3a. Hiiiigh porosity. ii density. Fine.

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut/VO5 Tea Therapy.
    Detangle: Renpure Organics My Pretty Hair is Parched!/Suave Naturals Coconut/VO5 Tea Therapy.
    Leave-In: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle.
    Gel: LA Looks Sport or Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel.

Picnikcollage-1.jpg
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    The articles on NaturallyCurly.com are conflicting. Though I think the science behind humectants is still relatively new.

Perhaps check to see if the oil you used had any humectants and which type of humectant.

Humectants are supposed to be good in that they help the hair stay moisturized by drawing in moisture from the air but the key is the correct steps for layering the products because you don't want to block the cuticle from getting the moisture that is pulled from the air.

Sometimes it seems easier to just say this is the frizz season and that's what's in.......FRIZZ IZ IN

PRINCETON BROOKE
    Chief Software Engineer & Web Developer
    http://apps.facebook.com/PrincetonBrooke
    FYI:
    Ingredients Commonly Used in Hair Care Products: Humectants

Humectants are added to hair care products because they attract water to the hair to keep the moisture content high.
    1,2,6 hexanetriol
    Butylene Glycol
    Dipropylene glycol
    Glycerin
    Hexylene Glycol
    Panthenol
    Phytantriol — enhances moisture-retention, increases absorption of vitamins, panthenol, and amino acids into hair shaft, imparts gloss
    Propylene glycol
    Sodium PCA
    Sorbitol
    Triethylene glycol
    Polyglyceryl sorbitol
    Glucose
    Fructose
    Polydextrose
    Potassium PCA
    Urea
    Hydrogenated Honey
    Hyaluronic Acid
    Inositol
    Hexanediol beeswax
    Hexanetriol Beeswax
    Hydrolyzed Elastin
    Hydrolyzed Collagen
    Hydrolyzed Silk
    Hydrolyzed Keratin
    Erythritol
    Capryl glycol
    Isoceteth-(3-10, 20, 30)
    Isolaureth-(3-10, 20, 30)
    Laneth-(5-50)
    Laureth-(1-30)
    Steareth-(4-20)
    Trideceth-(5-50)
    FYI:
    Humidity, Humectants and the Dew Point
    An ingredient may be called an anti-humectant if it fulfills several requirements. First, it must not be hygroscopic, meaning it must not possess molecular traits that cause it to attract water molecules to itself. Second, it must be water repellent, which necessarily means insoluble in water. This property allows it to lock out or prevent the intrusion of moisture into the hair from a humid environment. Additionally, these ingredients typically coat, flatten, and seal the external cuticle layer of the hair strands. The anti-humectant ingredient will most likely be higher on the list of ingredients, and may be problematic for those on a shampoo free routine. In many formulations, the ingredients used for this anti-humectant task are silicones. Esters (such as isopropyl palmitate) are another category of ingredient used for their water-resistant properties in products designed to function well in high humidity climates. There are also many natural ingredients that work well for this purpose, such as hydrogenated castor oil, beeswax, and plant triglycerides such as coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, and shea butter.
    All I can say is puffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuff. It's hot, humid MESS in Virginia and my hair is not reacting well at allllllllll. However, I've discovered if I get a good bit of moisture in, it won't absorb much more and puff so badly, so try a leave-in. Leave-ins always make my hair look greasy, but when combined with nasty weather, it kind of evens out and makes my hair look somewhat normal.

:laughing6:

Have you tried twisting your hair into two or three big twists, and then untwist when dry? It might help keep in the moisture and not puff as much, and actually keep curl definition.

I keep my hair in twists so that it won't get tangled, but also in the humid weather, it won't frizz. Leave-ins with the humidity does make it greasy, so I don't use it every day.

One product that has helped my hair (without twists) looking great without being greasy during the humid days is the Mixed Chicks Leave-in. The creators have videos on how to use the leave-in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights