What to do when your hair needs an ingredient but dew points make it impossible...?

I found out my hair's properties ( Thanks Curlies for recommending Curl Wizard ) and I'm coarse with Low porosity and Elasticity. It says that I need lots of emollients for moisture BUT I've read that they need to be avoided in cold climates. What can I do?

Thanks in advance
Coarse, Low Porosity, Low Density
On a search for my HGs :)

Comments

• RustinaRustina Registered Users Posts: 894 Curl Neophyte
    Out of curiosity, where did you read that emollients need to be avoided in cold weather? I don't think I've ever read that, and I have been throwing moisture at my hair like crazy this winter, using the creamiest, heaviest products I can find for my medium-coarse hair - and getting good results. Are you maybe confusing emollients with humectants?
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• UndefinedCurlsUndefinedCurls Registered Users Posts: 59
    I think you're right. I'm so embarrased, thank you for clearingt that up for me :)
    You're welcome! No embarrassment required - we all feel it at one time or another, but everyone here is so helpful. Asking questions is the best way to get to fabulous curls!
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I have a feeling that I'm not the only one here who feels that if they'd just told us we'd learn things which would help bring out the best in our hair, I would have done better in biology, chemistry and physical sciences.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    I have a feeling that I'm not the only one here who feels that if they'd just told us we'd learn things which would help bring out the best in our hair, I would have done better in biology, chemistry and physical sciences.

:laughing6: You don't know how many times I've thought about this. SO true!!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
    ACV is the only reason I know the little that I know about PH balance. I might just pass Chemisty.
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    The problem with humectants is that they can draw moisture out of your hair if it is too dry outside. Different hair responds differently to weather, though, so it may not be as much of an issue for you as it is for some folks.

In any case, I've found that adding extra emollient-heavy LI helps to counter the drying effect of humectants in arid weather.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
    Thank you so much for your reply, I hope you dont mind me asking this question - Do humectants affect some hair types more than others regardless of the weather?
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    IDK for sure, but I'd guess humectants would be more of an issue for porous hair. There are more "holes" in the cuticle for moisture to be pulled in and out of.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I don't know if it's possible to predict by hair type or property who will be affected, but some are definitely affected by humectants in certain weather conditions. I have to stay away from products with humectants high on the ingredient list in low dew points, or I get crazy frizz. This has been my first winter CG, so I had to find this out through experimentation, but now I know. I've discovered that RO condishes with humectants are okay, but not LI's. And I can't use stylers or gels with lots of humectants yet.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    That makes sense because my hair is porous (at least I think..) and is very sensitive to humectants.

I also have a feeling that fine hair may react more to humectants because it's more sensitive overall (e.g. there's such a fine line between the right amount of an ingredient and going overboard when it comes to fine hair).
    pedaheh wrote: »
    IDK for sure, but I'd guess humectants would be more of an issue for porous hair. There are more "holes" in the cuticle for moisture to be pulled in and out of.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • shrinkstershrinkster Registered Users Posts: 99
    I apologize for my ignorance, but what is the difference between an emollient and a humectant? Thanks
    Hair: Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Low elasticity
    Curl Pattern:3C

Poo: KC Come Clean (once/wk)
    Clarify: Ouidad Water Works (once/month)
    RO: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    LI: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    Gels: HETT and FSG
    DT: CJCR (once/wk)
    PT: Yogurt with coconut oil and avocado oil (once/month)
    I apologize for my ignorance, but what is the difference between an emollient and a humectant? Thanks
    Humectants are ingredients that attract water to themselves. In normal dew points they attract the right amount of water to your hair. In high dew points (above 70) they attract too much water and cause frizz.. In low dew points there is no water in the air, so they steal it from you hair and cause frizz.
    Humidity, Humectants and Hair | NaturallyCurly.com

Emollients deposit on the hair and help to soften it. In the link below they are described as ingredients to soften hair.
    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Ingredients : Natural Hair Shopping List

http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • shrinkstershrinkster Registered Users Posts: 99
    Thank you pedaheh! That was so informative. I did not know any of that.
    Hair: Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Low elasticity
    Curl Pattern:3C

Poo: KC Come Clean (once/wk)
    Clarify: Ouidad Water Works (once/month)
    RO: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    LI: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    Gels: HETT and FSG
    DT: CJCR (once/wk)
    PT: Yogurt with coconut oil and avocado oil (once/month)
    YW. I should also add that some people can use humectants all winter without issues. Others can use them in things they rinse off (cowash, rinse out, etc.) but not in things left on the hair (leave in, gel, etc.) You have to figure out what works for your hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file