What do you expect when you contact a natural hair product company?

CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
I feel like we've discussed this before but I can't remember where or how. Anyway, here's my dilemma:
:munky2:

Say you order a product, you never had issues with it in the past. You know it like the back of your hand because you use so much of it and LOVE it. You know the expiration date and you've never had problems in how you store the product in the past and you always use it within that timeframe. But, you realize that something isn't right with this particular product. Maybe it's the batch, maybe it's just your bottle/jar, but the product is spoiled and you are forced to dump it out. You contact the company but you really don't know what to ask for or expect. What do you expect them to do?:sad7:
11.gif
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

Comments

• teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, I guess that is what I would ask you? What are you expecting?

That said, I would, by all means, contact the company, if you think that something has gone awry.
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
  • kindredsoulkindredsoul Posts: 67Registered Users
    is this Oyin?

i'd say everything you already listed, probably show them a pic of the spoiled product, ask about any changes in formula/batch or recent customer complaints and expect them to replace/refund it without me having to ask/demand one.
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    The only issue you may have is sometimes small companies want the bad product back so they can see what happened.

I would expect a refund or replacement of the product a customer should have the benefit of the doubt. So I would say what happened and if they did not offer one automatically then I would request it, if they still said no I would demand/threaten them.

Believe it or not but when people say this company did me wrong I am ok with not buying from them.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i'd say everything you already listed, probably show them a pic of the spoiled product, ask about any changes in formula/batch or recent customer complaints and expect them to replace/refund it without me having to ask/demand one.

This. I also expect kind helpful communication.

I had a funky experience earlier this year with a mold issue that I wanted to resolve. I received a resolution but the communication was poor and defensive. I won't shop there again.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    is this Oyin?

YEa it's Oyin. I feel weird requesting a refund or replacement. I guess I expect that to be offered, but I feel weird about it. It's weird because if this were someone else I probably wouldn't be feeling this passive about it but for some reason I feel weird about it. I planned on making an order on April fools day since they're having a sale on the juices.. Plus I love Oyin products and I feel weird having to confront them with this issue. Maybe that's why I'm feeling some kind of way about it
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

This. I also expect kind helpful communication.

I had a funky experience earlier this year with a mold issue that I wanted to resolve. I received a resolution but the communication was poor and defensive. I won't shop there again.
    Yea! I'm afraid of that as well.

I'm about to submit my concern. I hope they respond soon
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I was a product manufacturer, I would like to think I would be thankful my customers are telling me something is amiss before more products are shipped.

I think everyone else spoke for me, but I would expect a prompt response, a free shipping label so that the customer can return the product (if that would help trace the issue), a free product replacement with a coupon code for the trouble. If the situation was worse for the customer for whatever reason (missed the chance to give a gift, was on a time crunch for the product, etc), they would get a full refund.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • kindredsoulkindredsoul Posts: 67Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    is this Oyin?

YEa it's Oyin. I feel weird requesting a refund or replacement. I guess I expect that to be offered, but I feel weird about it. It's weird because if this were someone else I probably wouldn't be feeling this passive about it but for some reason I feel weird about it. I planned on making an order on April fools day since they're having a sale on the juices.. Plus I love Oyin products and I feel weird having to confront them with this issue. Maybe that's why I'm feeling some kind of way about it

i thought so, others have had similair issues with them. personally i would only repurchase the J&B but only for the scent, it doesnt do anything special.
    is this Oyin?

i thought so, others have had similair issues with them. personally i would only repurchase the J&B but only for the scent, it doesnt do anything special.

Crap. I think I will have a meltdown if my Hair Dew ever arrives with mold. :angry5:
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    I really don't have much to add. I think companies need to be very careful how they handle these kind of issues.

If it were me (as a company owner), I would apologize profusely, and send a replacement product...immediately. I would also send a discount code for future purchases...with no expiration date. I would not request that the original product be returned...there's just no real way to tell what went wrong. How would you be able to tell? The product has left your premises, been in the hands of someone else for at least a month, and there's no way to tell what went on from that point.

I would follow up with the customer, asking for an update on the replacement product.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CurlyHead74CurlyHead74 Posts: 113Registered Users
    I would expect at a minimum, effective communication. Sometimes, if I email a vendor, it's not to expect a refund or replacement, but simply to express my concerns over quality of the product.

Now, if the bottle is broken or something along those lines, I expect a refund/replacement.

Companies need to learn that a little communication can go a long way when dealing with customers. Its funny that this issue came up, because I had a problem with an order from CurlMart, emailed about 5 minutes after I placed my order... ask me if I've heard anything back?
    Nea wrote: »
    I really don't have much to add. I think companies need to be very careful how they handle these kind of issues.

If it were me (as a company owner), I would apologize profusely, and send a replacement product...immediately. I would also send a discount code for future purchases...with no expiration date. I would not request that the original product be returned...there's just no real way to tell what went wrong. How would you be able to tell? The product has left your premises, been in the hands of someone else for at least a month, and there's no way to tell what went on from that point.

I would follow up with the customer, asking for an update on the replacement product.

Good point. I guess all I would need is the Lot/batch number, especially if this happens more than once.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    Thanks for the input ladies. I sent out the email so it's a waiting game now. I can't wait to see what they say. I didn't request anything but I hope they offer me a considerate solution because this just isn't right. I'm mad I have to dump out product/money. If I don't hear from them by Wednesday, I'll just resend it and I'll give it another week then I'll file a paypal dispute. I love the J&B a whole lot and I hope I won't have to eliminate one of my staples over something like this.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm...this is a toughie. If it were my company, first I'd be sure to be VERY responsive and get a detailed account of what the issue is. I'm not sure I would offer a refund - it would depend on how much was used, how long you've had it, and I'd like to see a picture of the spoiled product. At the very least I would give a discount code for a future purchase.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Ok so oyin finally responded to me this morning and they said it was highly unlikely that my products spoiled. They explained that it was likely to be just separation. It was too late though because I already dumped them out. I really believed that it was spoiled and I was so mad I just dumped it. Dammit. They offered to send a replacement if I sent it back. FML and my rash decisions

:cussing:
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Ok so oyin finally responded to me this morning and they said it was highly unlikely that my products spoiled. They explained that it was likely to be just separation. It was too late though because I already dumped them out. I really believed that it was spoiled and I was so mad I just dumped it. Dammit. They offered to send a replacement if I sent it back. FML and my rash decisions

OK first, they cannot say how likely or unlikely a product is to spoil. We are dealing with "natural" products.If you are writing to them and saying it's spoiled, unless they see your product they cannot decide that it's NOT spoiled.

OK second. Seperation is still just as bad as being spoiled. I really don't get how companies do not see this as an issue...oh so you think I should just shake/stir it up and I'm good to go EVERY TIME I USE THE DANG THING? Seriously?

THIRD. NO, they should RUSH you a new product without any need for you to send your spoiled one back...if they didn't need to see it to judge whether it was spoiled or not, they shouldn't need to get it back before you get your replacement (or get it back at all since it was not important for them to see it in the first place to make sure what was happening with it)

IA with the other posters on what to expect. The above is my reaction to their reply...SMDH

ETA: when you say spoiled, what exactly do you mean? Did it smell funny, stuff growin in it, turn runny, seperate?
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    coilynapp, normally I would agree with you, but the Juices N' Berries does say on the bottle to shake well, so some separation is to be expected. If I truly thought it was spoiled I would have taken pictures of the product and sent it to them.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    coilynapp wrote: »

OK first, they cannot say how likely or unlikely a product is to spoil. We are dealing with "natural" products.If you are writing to them and saying it's spoiled, unless they see your product they cannot decide that it's NOT spoiled.

OK second. Seperation is still just as bad as being spoiled. I really don't get how companies do not see this as an issue...oh so you think I should just shake it up and I'm got to go EVERY TIME I USE THE DANG THING? Seriously?

THIRD. NO, they should RUSH you a new product without any need for you to send your spoiled one back...if they didn't need to see it to judge whether it was spoiled or not, they shouldn't need to get it back before you get your replacement (or get it back at all since it was not important for them to see it in the first place to make sure what was happening with it)

IA with the other posters on what to expect. The above is my reaction to their reply...SMDH

ETA: when you say spoiled, what exactly do you mean? Did it smell funny, stuff growin in it, turn runny, seperate?

Agreed..AND who was going to cover the expense of the return, CocoT or Oyin?

It is very possible it was spoiled. It's very possible there was some kind of contamination. Even if she had returned it, and it was found to be spoiled, they would have said it happened on her end...I bet.

For the sake of good business, I would have given the customer the benefit of the doubt. I would not taint my reputation, for $20. Sometimes you have to "lose" to win. Truth is, many of the these natural products don't survive the stated usage time period.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    coilynapp, normally I would agree with you, but the Juices N' Berries does say on the bottle to shake well, so some separation is to be expected. If I truly thought it was spoiled I would have taken pictures of the product and sent it to them.
    Elle, I was not aware that she was talking about the juices...the juices is fine. I'm talking about if it was a conditioner or moisturizer.

But what would be "separating out" in the juices? She has no oils and stuff in there right?

Agreed.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Agreed..AND who was going to cover the expense of the return, CocoT or Oyin?

It is very possible it was spoiled. It's very possible there was some kind of contamination. Even if she had returned it, and it was found to be spoiled, they would have said it happened on her end...I bet.

For the sake of good business, I would have given the customer the benefit of the doubt. I would not taint my reputation, for $20. Sometimes you have to "lose" to win. Truth is, many of the these natural products don't survive the stated usage time period.

Completely AGREE. You may lose that $20, but you keep your customer who will provide you with many more $20s to come!!!

Agreed.
    CocoT, did you take pictures??? *I would have too*
    Elle, I was not aware that she was talking about the juices...the juices is fine. I'm talking about if it was a conditioner or moisturizer.

But what would be "separating out" in the juices? She has no oils and stuff in there right?

Maybe I just suck at formulation, but I've had glycerin and water/AV juice separate in sprays before.

I'm not saying Coco is wrong, as we "know" her and know that she is an honest person, but I'm sure they get requests like this periodically, and the best thing to do is to have a standard way to respond. I have seen some people complain about a consistency of a product, but the product works the same and there is nothing wrong with it (and we know that consistency can vary), yet the company will send them another product and they now have two, and for what? The company just lost money, and if they did this all the time they wouldn't make any. I think this is especially important when the product in question was not just purchased.

For instance, VS bras are supposed "last forever" and I had the underwire in one break and I could no longer wear it because it was stabbing me in the ribs. I had to take the bra back to VS (didn't need a receipt b/c it's a brand product) and exchange it for another one. I couldn't just go into the store and tell them that my bra was messed up and ask for a new one, ya know (and it would have been easy for them to look up my purchase because I've had a VS card since I was about 18 and buy everything from them using that card).

IMO companies are doing themselves a disservice if they always take the customer's word for it. People can be shady and try to get over on a company, and they need to protect themselves from that.
    YouTube
    No I didn't take pictures. I honestly wasn't thinking about that. I don't have a camera anyway, well I do on my laptop but I just wasn't thinking :sad3: And to me it looked and smelled spoiled. There was a thick slimy and dark substance floating throughout. It didn't smell as fruity as it usually is, I told them it was sour. I told them all of this and they said that although this is rare, it's likely to be separation of the flaxseed gel. They didn't make any comment about the smell though.

I described the issue in as much detail as I could and that's what they said. If I didn't dump it I would have sent it back to them so they could see exactly what my concerns were. I shouldn't have dumped it out before I got their response but now I can't do anything about that. That was a big mistake on my part. And I wouldn't have dumped it if I didn't think it was spoiled.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

Maybe I just suck at formulation, but I've had glycerin and water/AV juice separate in sprays before.

I'm not saying Coco is wrong, as we "know" her and know that she is an honest person, but I'm sure they get requests like this periodically, and the best thing to do is to have a standard way to respond. I have seen some people complain about a consistency of a product, but the product works the same and there is nothing wrong with it (and we know that consistency can vary), yet the company will send them another product and they now have two, and for what? The company just lost money, and if they did this all the time they wouldn't make any. I think this is especially important when the product in question was not just purchased.

For instance, VS bras are supposed "last forever" and I had the underwire in one break and I could no longer wear it because it was stabbing me in the ribs. I had to take the bra back to VS (didn't need a receipt b/c it's a brand product) and exchange it for another one. I couldn't just go into the store and tell them that my bra was messed up and ask for a new one, ya know (and it would have been easy for them to look up my purchase because I've had a VS card since I was about 18 and buy everything from them using that card).

IMO companies are doing themselves a disservice if they always take the customer's word for it. People can be shady and try to get over on a company, and they need to protect themselves from that.
    Elle, this is why I said that they should have asked to see it first before saying that "it was unlikely that it was spoiled". If you are going to say that my stuff is not spoiled before seeing it, then I shouldn't have to return it first to get a replacement, since you just guessed that it was not bad rather than engaging me to find out if it was truly the case.

I do get that business should not always take customers word or it would lose money for people would start to abuse this, but in the case of CocoT who has been a loyal customer for a while, c'mon son!

In fact, now that we know it's the juices, it is VERY LIKELY that it was spoiled. She has flax seed gel and aloe in there, both of which are breeding grounds for germies if not preserved properly (or if contaminated during production).

J&B ingredients

Purified water infused with horsetail, lavender, nettle, roses, and chamomile; organic flaxseeds; aloe vera juice; vegetable glycerine; essences of lavender, sweet orange, ylang ylang, and rosemary; grapefruit seed extract; citric acid; fragrance; and love

the bolded ARE NOT preservatives...with aloe and flax and water in there?.....CocoT, your J&B was MOST DEFINITELY spoiled....and I can say that without seeing it. There should be no "dark/black" stuff floating around in any product that is not dark/black.

Elle, this is why I said that they should have asked to see it first before saying that "it was unlikely that it was spoiled". If you are going to say that my stuff is not spoiled before seeing it, then I shouldn't have to return it first to get a replacement, since you just guessed that it was not bad rather than engaging me to find out if it was truly the case.

I do get that business should not always take customers word or it would lose money for people would start to abuse this, but in the case of CocoT who has been a loyal customer for a while, c'mon son!

In fact, now that we know it's the juices, it is VERY LIKELY that it was spoiled. She has flax seed gel and aloe in there, both of which are breeding grounds for germies if not preserved properly (or if contaminated during production).

J&B ingredients

Purified water infused with horsetail, lavender, nettle, roses, and chamomile; organic flaxseeds; aloe vera juice; vegetable glycerine; essences of lavender, sweet orange, ylang ylang, and rosemary; grapefruit seed extract; citric acid; fragrance; and love

the bolded ARE NOT preservatives...with aloe and flax and water in there?.....CocoT, your J&B was MOST DEFINITELY spoiled....and I can say that without seeing it. There should be no "dark/black" stuff floating around in any product that is not dark/black.

Oh I agree with you...after her description it sounds like it was spoiled, but apparently that rarely happens (let me go put mine in the fridge....).

CocoT, did you provide them with your name and order number with your complaint?
    YouTube

CocoT, did you provide them with your name and order number with your complaint?

Yea

ETA: Where would I see a batch number on a product? Or would I see it? I know curl junkie uses them but I don't see anything on any of my jars that explicitly say "batch number". Should it have a bar code because Oyin doesn't have those on anything
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

Yea

Okay. Then I agree they def should have at least asked for a picture or something before telling you it wasn't spoiled, esp if there was dark stuff in it? Ew...what's that? Clear sign of mold...
    YouTube

Yea

ETA: Where would I see a batch number on a product? Or would I see it? I know curl junkie uses them but I don't see anything on any of my jars that explicitly say "batch number". Should it have a bar code because Oyin doesn't have those on anything
    batch #/codes would be a little barcode (or just a number that looks like a code) somewhere on the jar/bottle. I don't think oyin uses them (well when I had oyin products, there was no sign of a batch #)

Yea

batch #/codes would be a little barcode (or just a number that looks like a code) somewhere on the jar/bottle. I don't think oyin uses them (well when I had oyin products, there was no sign of a batch #)

I'm going to look at mine...

Nope, nada. There are numbers on the bottle but that's like from the bottle getting made.
    YouTube

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file