when should i stop highlighting?

lisa45lisa45 Posts: 31Registered Users
after finding grays in my hair i decided to get highlights of course in between my highlights he colors my roots. im 45 and my mom is 64 she still dyes her hair whitch at one point in her life was brown. she chose to go blonde. shes been blonde for 15 yrs or so. i dont thik i would like any other color on her. since my hair is a dark brown with carmel highlights oh and i really love the color! but when im 60 should i still keep this up or whivh way should i go with my color? is ther an age limit to highlights especially if i dont see myself with gray hair. so what am i to do any suggestions? i know its far away but time does go by fast any input would b appreciated yhanku lisa45

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A lot of women stop doing highlights and go with one color when they very gray, simply because it gets quite expensive to have your hair both dyed and highlighted.

Color your hair as long as you want to. If you can afford it, highlights look very pretty at later ages.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally, I'd just try putting a no-lift color a couple of steps lighter than my natural color and see if it colored the grays, that would be 'dimensional' enough for me.

Right now what I do is henna, that makes dark dark red over the dark brown hair and very red highlights but they just seem to hide in with the rest of it.

Most importantly though, you should do your hair the way you like it! If you like the highlights, keep 'em.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So what are some good no-lift hair colors? I'd love to stop using permanent color but will I look weird if I start using no lift without getting highlights first? My hair is about 40% gray (nearly 100% at the temples) but I've been coloring it for years!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lisa45 wrote: »
    after finding grays in my hair i decided to get highlights of course in between my highlights he colors my roots. im 45 and my mom is 64 she still dyes her hair whitch at one point in her life was brown. she chose to go blonde. shes been blonde for 15 yrs or so. i dont thik i would like any other color on her. since my hair is a dark brown with carmel highlights oh and i really love the color! but when im 60 should i still keep this up or whivh way should i go with my color? is ther an age limit to highlights especially if i dont see myself with gray hair. so what am i to do any suggestions? i know its far away but time does go by fast any input would b appreciated yhanku lisa45

I stopped coloring at age 52 after years of professional color. I had grown used to my hairdresser, who did a great job for a low price,
    and then she retired.
    I tried other stylists but did not find one I wanted to pay twice or three times the price for the same
    color service, so after a couple transitional highlighting treatments, I just let the gray grow out.
    It took me about a year, with a few haircuts, and now
    my hair is "all natural"and almost as long as it was when I stopped coloring.
    A few weeks ago on a whim I colored with ION semipermanent color. Three washes with a super gentle low poo later, and it has all washed out.Now I feel like I can play around and tint my white hair blonde if I feel like it, and go back to gray very quickly.

To answer your question, there is no age limit for coloring hair, but there may be a financial one, or just a personal feeling that enough is enough, and when that time comes, you will know it.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    eche428 wrote: »
    So what are some good no-lift hair colors? I'd love to stop using permanent color but will I look weird if I start using no lift without getting highlights first? My hair is about 40% gray (nearly 100% at the temples) but I've been coloring it for years!

Well, henna is literally no-lift and totally permanent but that's only red of course.

The rest of the no-lift colors I think are technically "very-little-lift", they have peroxide but diluted so that it won't lighten your hair, only deposit color.

The Cellophanes with color are no-lift but I think only done in a salon?
    Clairol Natural Instincts is good, I never found it damaging. Bought it a little lighter than my natural color and grays disappeared, hair looked good. It did very very slightly lighten my brown hair though - could see this when it grew out. It was pretty easy to use.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file