Postpartum strikes again

ambj10117ambj10117 Registered Users Posts: 36
3 kids later..hairline never got a chance to catch up with my hair and now its falling out again. after every baby i go through the postpartum shedding and it mostly attacks my hairline. my temples go back and i cant wear any thing without bangs.. then it grows back slowly and i have to deal with short hair around my hairline and then cant wear bangs at all cuz it you can see the short hair under the bangs!! i just took braids out and a half inch of my hairline went with it.. and for the first time the rest of my hair thinning and i can FEEL it. every time i even poke my hair 10 strands fall out. i bought emu oil but dont know if it works when you shed for hormonal issues. actually i dont know if ANYTHING will work for this. but this upsets me more than the last time cuz i actually WORK now. i dont kno what to do with it..it's short as it is. i would put the braids back but im afraid it will worsen the situation.. if it can get any worse

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    So sorry.
    Mine fell out after #2 and #4 babies, like crazy, handfuls, and never quite made it back to how it was.

Do try continuing the prenatal vitamins, and go to the doctor and let them check your thyroid to make sure it didn't get whacked out with the hormone swings, because that can make the hair loss worse and weight loss more difficult and also can make you very sick so you'd want to fix it if it's messed up.

I think women in the workplace do understand postpartum hair loss - it has happened to several women in my office and nobody thinks it "unprofessional" or whatever, it's normal and somebody has to have the babies to continue the species, right? And enough of the guys had this happen to their wives that they also seem to understand. I had a co-worker use it as an April Fool's joke though - she went in to the boss and said "See how much you are stressing me out? My HAIR is falling out, look!"

So as long as you are healthy, and the hair loss normal hormone adjustment, it WILL grow back at least mostly, and yes will look silly but like I said I've found everyone to be understanding about it.

I am sorry you are dealing with it though, it's awful. I hate when people say "it's just the hair that didn't fall out while you were pregnant" 'cause it's so obviously not true, you weren't all sparse-haired before getting pregnant.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, and I do think braids are a bad idea, too much weight pulling at the hair that already wants to jump out. Be gentle gentle gentle, the falling-out-time will pass and you want to come through with as much hair as possible still in your head.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • corkscrewcurls88corkscrewcurls88 Registered Users Posts: 32
    I feel your pain! I had my baby one year ago and my hairline is still playing catch up. No one but me seemed to have this problem after pregnancy! My hair fell out it clumps...but it did stop and now it's back to normal, everything but my short "baby" hairs. I currently use Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Rosemary oil to thicken. Seems to be working but very slowly. I think maybe in a year they will be fuller.

Good luck chica!
    Natural since 2001
    curl type: fine 3c with some 4a
    length: between bsl-mbl (goal wl by 1/2012)
    low-poo: giovanni 50:50 hydrating-clarifying
    condish: giovanni smooth as silk
    oil: unrefined organic coconut oil
    stylers: curl junkie aloe fix gel :angel10:, eco-styler protein gel
    *spritz with filtered water and aloe vera juice to revive curls

My website: www.corkscrewcurls.com:love5:
  • msyysmmsyysm Registered Users Posts: 1
    After baby 2, my hair not only fell out, but the entire under layer has turned straight and smooth. The top layer is curly and frizzy! I ended up cutting 6 inches off, which helped its appearance at least.
  • ambj10117ambj10117 Registered Users Posts: 36
    I feel your pain! I had my baby one year ago and my hairline is still playing catch up. No one but me seemed to have this problem after pregnancy! My hair fell out it clumps...but it did stop and now it's back to normal, everything but my short "baby" hairs. I currently use Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Rosemary oil to thicken. Seems to be working but very slowly. I think maybe in a year they will be fuller.

Good luck chica!

i kno doesnt it seem like your the only one going thru this trauma? I feel like its more common in straight hair..everyone i kno with curly hair seems to not have gone through this or not as serious. but when you bring up the subject around two or three ppl with straight hair theyre all like "O yea been through it..". that jamaican black castor oil..did that help grow it back during the shedding phase? or are you just over it now and using that to recover? and do you use it as a treatment or daily

ROBIN- :laughing8::laughing8: i gotta try that april fools joke..maybe it wouldve worked on my husband after our first child..shedding hair is old news now.
    My baby is 14mths and I'm still shedding some but just a little. I was using it during the serious shedding but it was still coming out. I think it doesn't hurt maybe it saved some of it from falling idk.

I use it daily and nightly. I add a few drops of Rosemary oil and some castor oil and just massage the areas.

It really does seem to be helping now that the shed is slower.
    Natural since 2001

• BugEyeZBugEyeZ Registered Users Posts: 314 Curl Novice
    ambj100117 wrote: »

Good luck chica!

i kno doesnt it seem like your the only one going thru this trauma? I feel like its more common in straight hair..everyone i kno with curly hair seems to not have gone through this or not as serious. but when you bring up the subject around two or three ppl with straight hair theyre all like "O yea been through it..".

Well, as someone with extremely curly hair, i lost quite a bit postpartum. Lost my hairline all the way up to my mid ear. My temple hair all but disappeared. This after having so much hair it actually hurt my head! It used to fall out into my food.
    Anyway, my hair has started growing back and I think even fuller than before. I have all these little short hairs near my scalp.
    I would suggest continuing your prenatals. If you're not breastfeeding, you might want to add some biotin too. I just recently went on that.
    Don't feel bad about it. You're a mother! These things are our badge of honor. :eye:
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
    My scalp hurt too! I think my hair is fuller just not the hairline. I take biotin. Prenatal. And fish oil. I wish I read these boards about a yr ago! I just knew I was gonna shed bald!
    Natural since 2001

yea my scalp has some sort of sore feeling at the root. sometimes i get paranoid and just start pulling at my edges where i think its going to fall out. if i pull on a strand and feel that soreness at the root..the slightest pull and it just pops right out. thats how you kno its gonna shed. when it hurts at the root. it's a terrible thing to have to go through when your trying to be excited over your new baby..or trying to cope with other stresses during postpartum (like not sleeping at night!!!) well all i kno is a lot of parts and swoops are sure to be in my head..
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Registered Users Posts: 103
    Im 4 months post partum and about a month ago I started the dreaded "Shead". Im not sure if its my age or what but it seems to be so much worse with this bb. This is my 3rd in 4 yrs ( I know ive been busy ) and i never noticed the thining with my other 2. Maybe my mom was right and the old saying of Your making my hair fall out was right! Anyway just wanted to chime in and tell ya'll that your not alone! Im right their w you, it makes me feel less alone in all of this to here that others are having the same issues!

Thank you so much for posting ideas and solutions on the thinning!

to MIRCURLS thanks for the thread on using octo. clips thats helping me feel a little less thin!
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
    thecurly1 wrote: »
    Im 4 months post partum and about a month ago I started the dreaded "Shead". Im not sure if its my age or what but it seems to be so much worse with this bb. This is my 3rd in 4 yrs ( I know ive been busy ) and i never noticed the thining with my other 2. Maybe my mom was right and the old saying of Your making my hair fall out was right! Anyway just wanted to chime in and tell ya'll that your not alone! Im right their w you, it makes me feel less alone in all of this to here that others are having the same issues!

Thank you so much for posting ideas and solutions on the thinning!

to MIRCURLS thanks for the thread on using octo. clips thats helping me feel a little less thin!

yea my 3rd too...in 3 years!! i sure did shed with all of them. they all took their toll on my hairline. since i had kids back to back i dont think i ever got a chance to get it back to normal. i dont think it ever will now after such a traumatic experience.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file