What to do with ground turkey?

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
SO has asked me to make more meat, so we picked up a bunch of kosher stuff on a road trip last week. We haven't lived together very long, and I'm trying to show him I can hold my own in the kitchen. I made brisket tonight, and it was amazing. He even went back for seconds and thirds. :toothy7:

Anyway, next up is ground turkey. He's a red-meat kind of guy -- even though he suggested the turkey -- so I don't really know what to make. He doesn't want it with pasta, which rules out most of the ideas I had. I found a spin on sloppy joes and shepherd's pie with turkey, but I was hoping some of you kitchen-savvy ladies had some ideas for me.
Under construction.

Comments

• kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Tacos!!! Fajitas!!!:blob3:
    Lasagna

ETA: Oh gosh, I want http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_ground_turkey_with_potatoes/
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Meat loaf, burgers, meatballs?

I don't eat meat, but would think anything you would use ground beef for, would work just as well?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    What CurlyCanadian said. If you want to make meatballs more interesting, try making kofta/kefta/another of the various spellings. Serve with tomato rice, a cucumber salad, and fried onions. But they're pretty great with pine nuts, lemon zest, Parmesan, and basil, too. It's a pretty blank canvas type of meat, really.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I make a wedding soup that uses turkey for the meatballs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    curlysue21 wrote: »
    I make a wedding soup that uses turkey for the meatballs.

Would you mind posting the recipe? This was my first thought. SO has said he's not interested in soup right now, but I would definitely make this another time.

These are all good suggestions! I'll make a list from this thread and let him pick.
    Under construction.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    Here you go! I substitute baby spinach for the escarole. My family really likes this recipe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

You could also make larb/laap, or Sichuan dry-fried long beans or mapo tofu. They're meant to be made with ground pork, but if the turkey isn't too lean, it should be fine.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    empanadas
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • wanderlustwanderlust Posts: 650Registered Users
    This contains a really good turkey meatball recipe. The actual recipe to make the meatballs is linked in the ingredients list.

Also I like to do a stir fry with ground turkey meat and jasmine rice. I season the turkey meat and then saute it in a pan with some olive oil. Then I heat up a little olive oil, put in some ginger and garlic, and then add in some veggies. I like to use yellow and red peppers, and carrots, but you can use what ever vegetables you like. Then add back in the ground turkey and the cooked jasmine rice and stir in some soy sauce. Pretty easy and tasty!
    Formerly ladyjag123
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, I want to add that I always make my chili with ground turkey instead of beef.

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I use it in things like chili and tacos. My MIL uses it in stuffed pasta shells. Pretty much anything that calls for ground beef can use ground turkey instead.

If you're using turkey because it's supposedly healthier than beef, be sure and buy ground turkey breast, not just ground turkey. They had this on a challenge on the Biggest Loser--ground turkey is supposedly about the same, fat and calorie wise, as ground beef.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I just made a skillet pie based on a kopita (I can't remember the actual name, think spanokopita but chicken based) from Cooks Illustrated that would be yummy with turkey. It called for ground chicken, easy substitute. Broth, feta, olives, mint, lemon, filo crust. Very yummy!
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Chili
    Moussaka
    Scotch eggs
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Excellent suggestions! Thanks! We don't mix meat and dairy, but we've found ways around those ingredients.

The turkey is marginally healthier than the ground beef, but not by much. I was eyeing the leaner turkey, but SO didn't want it; he had a reason, but I can't remember it now. We also got some ground beef, which is long gone now, and we got the turkey just to shake things up. Less about nutrition, more about variety.
    Under construction.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Just double check the numbers when you get the extra lean meat...like 97/3:blob7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Just double check the numbers when you get the extra lean meat...like 97/3:blob7:

Buying kosher means we don't have many options. There are two choices of ground turkey that I've seen: regular and breast, and the ground breast meat isn't available everywhere. There's usually one option for ground beef, maybe two if we're lucky. (If I were cooking just for me, I would've gotten the leaner turkey.)
    Under construction.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Is the Jenni-O stuff an option? :dontknow:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Is the Jenni-O stuff an option? :dontknow:

Nope, not kosher.

The kosher brand carried in our local store (and the one we went to on our road trip) is Empire. Our local store has a HUGE kosher selection, the biggest I've ever seen in person, and even it has only two choices for ground turkey.
    Under construction.
    Befrizzled wrote: »
    Excellent suggestions! Thanks! We don't mix meat and dairy, but we've found ways around those ingredients.

The turkey is marginally healthier than the ground beef, but not by much. I was eyeing the leaner turkey, but SO didn't want it; he had a reason, but I can't remember it now. We also got some ground beef, which is long gone now, and we got the turkey just to shake things up. Less about nutrition, more about variety.

Then you should definitely be okay to make any of the Asian dishes I suggested! Plus no dairy in them!
    And the kofte is also dairy-free. Love some kofte with yogurt sauce and some tomato rice!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »
    Befrizzled wrote: »

Then you should definitely be okay to make any of the Asian dishes I suggested! Plus no dairy in them!
    And the kofte is also dairy-free. Love some kofte with yogurt sauce and some tomato rice!

He's not a huge Asian-food fan, but I am! I'm seriously considering making him a couple of turkey burgers and using the rest to make the mapo tofu for me because I also just bought tofu. He'd really go for the kofte, too, minus the yogurt sauce. I'd probably make humus with it, though.

We've got two pounds, and I'm making only one at a time, so I'll get to try a few things out. :)
    Under construction.
    I'd probably make a hot sauce instead of hummus. I love hummus, but more by itself or with falafel.

It could be something like zhoug:
    Zhoug Recipe - CHOW
    Spicy Zhoug Recipe - Ana Sortun | Food & Wine

Or even harissa.

A tahini sauce is good too.
    Or just serve them in a tomato sauce!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »
    I'd probably make a hot sauce instead of hummus. I love hummus, but more by itself or with falafel.

It could be something like zhoug:
    Zhoug Recipe - CHOW
    Spicy Zhoug Recipe - Ana Sortun | Food & Wine

Or even harissa.

A tahini sauce is good too.

SO would go for a tahini sauce. He'll still want hummus on the side, I expect. Any time anything is remotely Mediterranean, we like hummus there somewhere. :lol:
    Under construction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file