Aveda's color depositing conditioners really work!

slivolaslivola Registered Users Posts: 372
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post that I have tried a lot of color depositing conditioners to enhance or maintain my red, and Aveda's really, really work. I am almost 6 weeks post coloring and I am more vibrant now than 6 weeks ago (except for my brown roots, LOL!) I use the madder red conditioner with a touch of the clove (brown) mixed together. They also have a blue malva for blondes. I still follow with my usual conditioner because I don't find these conditioning enough for textured hair, but they really deposit beautiful color. Sometimes I leave it on for 30 minutes on the weekend and it's amazing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3a (
with 3b)
Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
Low Poo
(Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
Color
Maintenance:
Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish

Comments

• dernhelmdernhelm Registered Users Posts: 84
    I am so lemming the aveda black malva conditioner!
    very fine/dense/high porosity
    No heat styling

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jbaybayyjbaybayy Registered Users Posts: 38
    Ooooh, I used the Walnut colored one once when I was younger and had a bad Sun-In incident :/ and my stepmom wouldn't let me color my hair, haha! Worked great! Your hair looks fantastic, BTW!!!
  • jenny curljenny curl Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Do these conditioners have silicones in them?
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • slivolaslivola Registered Users Posts: 372
    I didn't notice any cones in them the last time I looked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Color
    Maintenance:
  • liongirl29liongirl29 Registered Users Posts: 42
    I have been afraid to, though, as I read somewhere, or someone told me at one point, that the vegetable dyes in color-depositing products can have a bad chemical reaction with hair dye.

Is this not true? Obviously, it must not be the case for you! :) Have you heard anything about this? I would so love to try Henna, too, as I'm always trying to keep the red in my hair but I have so much gray that I dont want to have to grow it all out before I do it. I started going gray while pregnant at 25. lol
    Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
    Shampoo: Elucence, clarify with sulfates 1x per month
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC,
    Products: Devacurl Angel, LALSG
    I can't go totally CG as it weighs my hair down FAST. Hard water.
    Bad haircut finally starting to grow out and look normal again!
    I've never had a problem with any of the color depositing conditioners and every salon I've talked with always recommends them to enhance and maintain color. After I rinse out the color conditioner, I always follow with regular conditioner because the color cond isn't conditioning enough for curly hair. I'm not sure how well the color conditioners really cover gray.

I have heard that using henna on chemically dyed hair can be extremely damaging. I used to use henna instead of dye because I thought it was more natural, but it really damaged my hair and never was able to lighten my roots (I have dark brown hair) so over the course of a year, I wound up with very multi colored hair which ironically looked very artificial. Then I saw a friend who also used to use red henna and had switched over to using red dye instead and her hair looked amazing and so much better. So that's when I switched over. But without the color depositing conditioner, I would have blonde highlights on the ends of my hair within a few weeks after coloring, but now I'm always red.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Red is so hard to keep in the hair and it would be nice to have something to maintain it so I wouldn't have to color quite so often. It's a tricky balance between color and protecting hair from damage.

At one point, I was having a few different reds put in, one was very bright and they had to lift color out to put it in. The fading happened very quickly and it looked like I had blonde highlights, which you mentioned. Not a good look for me.

Is the Madder Root suitable for all red shades? Seems to me they have a couple of different choices, but I haven't been to the website for awhile.
    Curltype:Fine, 2C underneath, Mostly 3A, with some 3B thrown in there. Normal porosity.
    They used to make three different reds but they discontinued two of them (annatto and the cherry bark). The only one left is madder red. I had been using the annatto mixed with a touch of the madder red so I switched over to just the madder red. It makes red VERY bright- it's a warmer hued red so people who like bluer undertones aren't happy with this one. I love it because my red is a warmer orange red so it's perfect. I started off mixing it with the clove (brown color) conditioner. I did half and half of each. That gave it a deeper hue more coppery and natural looking. Then I gradually started using less and less of the clove as I got used to going so vibrant. Now I just use a pea size of the clove mixed in with a palm full of the madder red. I find it really doesn't matter how my hair color turns out when I dye it as long as my roots are gone because it's this conditioner that really gives me my vibrant red. Hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Thanks for the tips! I might try mixing the two as well and then see how it goes from there. Your red is so pretty by the way! :)
    Thank you! I hope that combo works for you. It's nice because you can adjust it based on how it turns out the first time. I have been using it every time I wash lately since I'm 7+ weeks post coloring and I'm still vibrant (lighter from the sun, but still very red- except the roots, of course!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file