CurlTalk

What butters do you like?

LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
By butters I mean shea butter, mango butter, illipe butter, kokum butter, cocoa butter, etc.

I know most of us have tried shea butter and cocoa butter. I was reading a thread on here and some people were complaining that companies are mainly using shea butter and need to branch out.

I will admit, I stick to shea butter b/c it's the butter I know the most about. I don't know much about the others and what allergic reactions they could cause, etc.

There isn't much info about many of the other exotic butters, heck there's barely info on shea butter.

Anyway, I was just wanting to know what butters everyone has tried and if they liked them. I am trying learn about other butters and possibly experiment with a few. Particularly mango & Kokum.

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    kokum makes a really good lotion. It is similar to cocoa butter in composition and hardness. I think illipe is also similar to kokum. Mango is similar to shea and cocoa butter (does not smell like mangoes btw). It's softer than cocoa butter.

Cupuacu is also another lovely one...it's my favorite

I don't know anything about allergies for these though
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I too love Cupuacu butter though I use raw, plan shea butter as my "butter" most of the time. I may order Cupuacu again soon....
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Posts: 148Registered Users
    I love avocado butter, its a really smooth and creamy butter. I use it on my skin as a moisturizer and I add it to conditioners for a deep conditioner. I recently ordered hemp seed butter to experiment with that one.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkamaia16%2F" class="Popup
    Youtube
  • Kinkii_LewinskiiKinkii_Lewinskii Posts: 49Registered Users
    Shea Butter :love10:....nom, nom, nom

I only say that because that's the only butter i've tried for my hair. :bunny:

#FAIL! :neutral:
    I Halibel

Natural
    , 4a/b

Wet Hair

event.png

Empress Halibel -|- Sacred Guardian of the Kinky Realms & Grand Wielder of the Coiled Light -|- in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I've only recently (~3 days ago) started using shea butter. I like it so far!
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    My number 1 is avocado butter, then mango butter, then shea butter.
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    kokum makes a really good lotion. It is similar to cocoa butter in composition and hardness. I think illipe is also similar to kokum. Mango is similar to shea and cocoa butter (does not smell like mangoes btw). It's softer than cocoa butter.

Cupuacu is also another lovely one...it's my favorite

I don't know anything about allergies for these though
    Have you tired them all!! Lol!

A lot of naturals like mango butter, they say it absorbs in the hair better then shea, do you have experience with this?

I think I'm going to sample mango, cupuacu, and kokum.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Cupuacu, Mango, Pumpkin, Coffee(for the smell lol)
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

@Liyah I have not tried mango butter. I've used kokum, illipe and cocoa and ofcourse cupuacu. I've also used shea. I think mango butter is softer than shea butter (I'm not sure) so maybe that's why a lot of naturals like it so
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    Butters i've tried:

shea - my go to butter for twisting and sealing, espically whipped shea. I even mix it with my gel to make a pudding.

Mango - slightly softer than shea but works about the same. if you have a problem with shea sitting on the sop of your hair or not absorbing, I would recommend this one.

Olive - very light, melts easily in hands. Calling it a "butter" is slightly misleading, since its really just hydrogenated olive oil. texture sort of reminds me of the old school Crisco. LOVE this on my scalp.

Aloe - same as the olive, but is REALLY light! Good on scalp or ends. Can be a bit greasy if you over apply...I like to mix it with gel or use to to scrunch out hair that has too much hold.

hemp - same as the olive, except this CAN be slightly greasy if you use to much. I prefer it on wet hair or applied directly to my scalp.

avocado - same as olive, aloe, and hemp.

cupuacu - this is hands down my FAVORITE...but it can be kinda expensive. I like to use this for everything...twisting, sealing the ends, mixing with stylers, adding to conditioners, you name it. I try to keep some on hand always...espically in the winter months.

mumuru - Think shea butter but MUCH better. It absorbs easily, doesn't sit on the hair, and leaves good shine (a lot of people complain that shea butter leaves thier hair dull). I like to melt this and add it to conditioners (rinse out, deep, and leave in) because it instantly ups the moisture level!

HTHs
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    ^^^ good info NCC. I use cupuacu for EVERYTHING and in EVERYTHING. I just love it
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I like olive, mango, hemp, avocado, cocoa, and shea. I wanna try murumuru and cupuacu and some others whenever I find a place with cheap shipping.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com%2F" class="Popup

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • squigglycurlssquigglycurls Posts: 82Registered Users
    I like avocado and aloe butter and shea only if it's whipped, otherwise it sits on top of my hair. I'd like to try murumuru and mango soon.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    i've used shea, mango, cupuacu, murumuru, illipe, ucuuba, tucuma, avocado, hempseed, olive, cocoa and aloe butters.

my fave butter of them all is shea butter. i use this every single day!:compress:

cupuacu butter is too heavy for my hair. very similar to cocoa butter, so i'd rather just get cocoa butter and use in a mix.

tucuma butter is nice, smells delish but acts more like an oil which my hair hates.

i really love the earthiness of ucuuba but i can get virgin palm kernel oil locally and my hair loves it.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hippychic wrote: »
    cupuacu butter is too heavy for my hair. very similar to cocoa butter, so i'd rather just get cocoa butter and use in a mix.

but softer at room temp, yes though, similar to cocobutter in many respects

mine at room temp is hard as a brick, just like cocoa butter

where do you get yours?
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

where do you get yours?
    I got the one I just used up from camden grey. It also could be that my room temp is warmer. But I know the cupuacu is not as brick hard and crumbly as my cocoa. I mean I have to use a knife to pry some cocoa butter out, with cupuacu all I've ever used is a spoon

where do you get yours?
    I got the one I just used up from camden grey. It also could be that my room temp is warmer. But I know the cupuacu is not as brick hard and crumbly as my cocoa. I mean I have to use a knife to pry some cocoa butter out, with cupuacu all I've ever used is a spoon
    i have to use a knife to get mine out
    i got it from garden state naturals

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^hmmmm curious....then it might be that my house is warmer. It has been winter...

They have similar melting points so they must be of (nearly) equal hardness. My conclusion is that it was just warmer in my house and warmer in the summer when I got it
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    Butters i've tried:

shea - my go to butter for twisting and sealing, espically whipped shea. I even mix it with my gel to make a pudding.

Mango - slightly softer than shea but works about the same. if you have a problem with shea sitting on the sop of your hair or not absorbing, I would recommend this one.

Olive - very light, melts easily in hands. Calling it a "butter" is slightly misleading, since its really just hydrogenated olive oil. texture sort of reminds me of the old school Crisco. LOVE this on my scalp.

Aloe - same as the olive, but is REALLY light! Good on scalp or ends. Can be a bit greasy if you over apply...I like to mix it with gel or use to to scrunch out hair that has too much hold.

hemp - same as the olive, except this CAN be slightly greasy if you use to much. I prefer it on wet hair or applied directly to my scalp.

cupuacu - this is hands down my FAVORITE...but it can be kinda expensive. I like to use this for everything...twisting, sealing the ends, mixing with stylers, adding to conditioners, you name it. I try to keep some on hand always...espically in the winter months.

mumuru - Think shea butter but MUCH better. It absorbs easily, doesn't sit on the hair, and leaves good shine (a lot of people complain that shea butter leaves thier hair dull). I like to melt this and add it to conditioners (rinse out, deep, and leave in) because it instantly ups the moisture level!

HTHs

Wow!! Thanks for this info you have helped me immensely!

Cupuacu seems like a butter I need to get my hands on STAT.
  • sculptrzsculptrz Posts: 54Registered Users
    Liyah wrote: »
    Butters i've tried:

HTHs

Wow!! Thanks for this info you have helped me immensely!

Cupuacu seems like a butter I need to get my hands on STAT.

+1!!!! Thanks
  • no1curlydivano1curlydiva Posts: 60Registered Users
    Brazil nut butter (from Camden Grey) makes my hair really soft and shiny. I love it. Mango was just ok, and Shea I use as a base to mix other butters/oils in.
    [FONT=&quot]Last Relaxer:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]January 2009;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]BC[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: June 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Condish VO5, Sauve[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DC:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Organicals; Henna/Indigo w/Ayurvedic herbs[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]LI: KimmeyTube Mix [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Seal: Any Oil [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I LOVE Oils & Butters ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]My whipped SB w/various oils mix)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Moisturizers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] SMCHCS, B.A.S.K Palm; Camile Rose[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stylers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] UFDCM; EcoBlue [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hair Type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 4a/b[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Texture / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Porosity: Not sure [/FONT]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I would like to try avocado, almond or mango butter because they are soft. I like coffee bean butter (has a soybean butter base) because it's reminiscent of Ojon RHT. I have tried murumuru, cupuacu, and cocoa butter, also palm and they are all so hard I couldn't work with them.

I like Hairveda Almond Glaze because it's almond butter based and soft. Another excellent commercial butter is Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. I like shea butter but don't use it so much these days due to my love affair with Qhemet OHHB.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lajoliefillelajoliefille Posts: 350Registered Users
    I like the mochacino butter From Nature With Love sells. It's essentially a mix of cocoa butter and coffee butter. It smells so damn good, makes my hair feel soft and supple, and feel oh so sexy using on my body. But I always go back to the shea butter I get mine from a local Nigerian store. Mix it with YTCucumbers leave in and I have moisturized hair for days!
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2007
    BC: Feb. 28 2009 :afro::hello1:

What do hair typing, Santa, the bogey man, and the great pumpkin all have in common? My utter and complete disbelief in them of course. ;-)

"Feminism is the RADICAL notion that women are human beings."
  • bobo77bobo77 Posts: 105Registered Users
    I love Shea mixed with some oils for my body after a shower. I use that everyday, But........ My hair does not like Shea butter. It sits on top of my hair as if it's trying to say. "no!!! Get me off!". A couple weeks ago I bought some NubianHeritage mango butter and I love it. My hair loves it so that is what I use for my hair now, and it smells so dand dreamy!
    Lovin my coils and my straight PJ'ism
    Been natural for about 3 years but Bc'd July 2010
    FAVORITE PRODUCTS:
    Oyin hair dew,CJSL, AOMM,OSHP
    Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
    Bed Head moisture maniac
    Jojoba oil,Amla oil,AVPWHG,
    Ojon restorative hair treatment
    Mozeke CHB, Fleurzty CNC
    CurlyKinks Coil Jam, Satin Roots
    Nubian Heritage Mango butter
    Ok ok ok........I'll stop for now.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Faunaturalbounette.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    I loooovvvvvveeeeee me some shea butter!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    I'd really like to try mango butter, i hear it works wonders:laughing6::laughing6:
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I want to try this mango butter! Sounds delish!
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
    SBB (et al.,) if you are into making your own butters, you can make avocado and almond butter using the oils and hydrogenated veggie oil (yes, crisco, OR you can get lipidthix from lotioncrafter and use that). This is how a lot of the soft butters are made (olive, avocado, jojoba, hemp...)
    Unless the butter says hydrogenated avocado oil or hydrogenated sweet almond oil, or hydrogenated hemp oil, it's made from mixing the oil with a hyrdogenated oil (usually soybean oil or other veggie)
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users
    Butters aren't a big part of my regi, so I've only used shea and avocado. I prefer the avocado, because it's easier to spread, doesn't leave a dull finish, and IIRC has more nutrients than shea. I'm still trying to get through my jars, but that coffebean butter sounds interesting.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES