CurlTalk

Is it just me or....

CurlyDeziCurlyDezi Posts: 72Registered Users
So I'm wondering if I'm the only person who's hair feels softer after it's blown out than when I let it air dry. I have thick, coarse, and kinky hair. I've just realized this week that when I wash my hair and let it air dry it feels dry after completely drying and I have to moisturize it everyday, but when I blow it out it's soft and I only have to add a moisturizer to it at most once a week until it's time for me to wash my hair again.

Comments

• pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    I did a blow out about one year ago and my hair felt very soft. I've noticed that many people with 4b hair opt to regularly blow dry it after it gets to a certain length.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • dopebydesigndopebydesign Posts: 21Registered Users
    I agree (even tho i haven't blown my hair out since 08 probably.) it must be the heat. Just like what heat does to a DC.

however, I find that glycerin and aloe vera soften my hair too.. it's just a different kind of soft:)
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users
    CurlyDezi wrote: »
    So I'm wondering if I'm the only person who's hair feels softer after it's blown out than when I let it air dry. I have thick, coarse, and kinky hair. I've just realized this week that when I wash my hair and let it air dry it feels dry after completely drying and I have to moisturize it everyday, but when I blow it out it's soft and I only have to add a moisturizer to it at most once a week until it's time for me to wash my hair again.

I did notice that when I stretch my hair really good (not with heat necessarily but by putting into large two strand twists and sitting under a hood dryer for 30 minutes to an hour or bunning for a couple of days while it air dries) that my hair does indeed feel very soft and moist but different (like you said in your other post) from the moist associated hair styled wet with products to hold in the "moistness" (if that is a word). LOL!

When I two strand twist my hair after it has been stretched, the twists are so large and full yet moist versus when I twist on soaking wet hair in which case the twists are not as "plump" (if that makes any sense). And you're right, I don't have to moisturize as often (with water) when my hair is stretched then styled in two strand twists/flat twists. More like every other day or every 2 days.

This is not exactly along the lines of what you were saying (you were talking about stretching/straightening with heat) but it's in the same category (I would say)...
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • v1k2a3t4v1k2a3t4 Posts: 89Registered Users
    Does anyone know why this happens? My hair is also softer and more moist when stretched.
    2 african parents...
    1 girl...
    about a million, coarse, low porosity strands on my big, 4b (some 4a), natural head :D
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fv1k2a3t4%2F" class="Popup

Visit my new blog y'all!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fvee-sugarandspiceandallthingsnice.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Minnie_MouseMinnie_Mouse Posts: 37Registered Users
    I've never had a blow out but I want one. Can I ask y'all what y'all did to blow it out?
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: High
    Elasticity: Normal
    Density: Thick
    Curl Type: 4b

BC on April 20, 2010

• CurlyDeziCurlyDezi Posts: 72Registered Users
    @v1k2a3t4 I've been wondering why it's soft too, but then again I'm like as long as it's soft and it works, and there's no damage then I'm good lol

@ Minnie_Mouse I just was and condish as usual, add a little leave in, and a GREAT heat protectant. Then I use my blowdryer with the comb attached on low or medium heat and go through each section. It's really easy, but I would suggest you really use a heat protectant to make sure you don't fry your hair. Definitely search for it on youtube and you'll see some great HowTo's and tutorials on how to do them.
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    My hair feels softer without heat. I air-dry most of the time and I only moisturze once a week. *shrugs*
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • AlikaIssaAlikaIssa Banned Posts: 339Banned Users
    v1k2a3t4 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why this happens? My hair is also softer and more moist when stretched.

When the hair is stretched the cuticles lie flatter which helps to prevent the moisture in the strands from escaping/evaporating. So, stretched hair helps the strands to retain more moisture.