CurlTalk

low carb eating for a healthy weight

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
i'm a healthy and active person that has gotten lax and have about 10 more lbs on me than i like. in a normal circumstance this wouldn't be an issue and i'd just work to get it off, no problem, but i'm going on a big international trip in about 2.5 weeks and when i'm a little "extra" it shows in my face which i hate for pics.

so....i'm looking for some quick, practical tips to shed the extra 8-10 lbs so that i don't look puffy in my vacation pics. i don't care if what i lose is water weight or whatever. here's what i plan to do, please chime in on things that have worked for you when you needed to lose a quick 10:
  • no pastries, cakes, sweets
  • extra cardio (5 times per week, currently only doing 2 times per week)
  • lots of water
  • extra fiber (psyllium husks)
  • no eating after 7 pm (this one will be hard and i know i can't do it every day but i'm going to try)
*** disclaimer: i know crash dieting isn't a good idea, results are not permanent and all that. i'm admittedly looking for a short term fix. ***
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural
«1345678

Comments

  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Atkins.. you can lose 10lbs in a week and a half.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    Cut your sodium intake.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

    Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

    Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

    I live in the NYC area.


  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Atkins.. you can lose 10lbs in a week and a half.

    excellent. great point!!
    Cheetara wrote: »
    Cut your sodium intake.

    ah, probably no sushi or asian food (my absolute love)! another great point!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • Trixie1979Trixie1979 Posts: 364Registered Users
    Now I might be wrong about this but what I've heard is that if you drink ice cold water you will burn more calories. It's not going to make you loose the 10lbs that you are looking to loose but this might help.....and if I am wrong someone please correct me.
    p6d5w.gif

    6y2v5.gif
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    If you need to buy anything at GNC, they give you a free sample of a week's worth of Oxy Elite Pro and that stuff works.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Atkins.. you can lose 10lbs in a week and a half.

    excellent. great point!!

    Atkins is good for quick weight loss if you follow the program to a T. When I was on it, I lost 4 lbs. in one week and I didn't even exercise. The first phase is difficult but once you get through it the results are amazing and you feel great! Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    Trixie1979 wrote: »
    Now I might be wrong about this but what I've heard is that if you drink ice cold water you will burn more calories. It's not going to make you loose the 10lbs that you are looking to loose but this might help.....and if I am wrong someone please correct me.

    i've heard this too and it's interesting but actually when i went for acupuncture the last time my lady told me that i needed more warming foods to aid in my digestion because my digestion was sluggish. since then it's been only warm or room temp liquids.
    jenny curl wrote: »
    If you need to buy anything at GNC, they give you a free sample of a week's worth of Oxy Elite Pro and that stuff works.

    does this stuff make your heart race? i want to lose a few lbs but not incur any heart damage. what's the main ingredient that works? caffeine?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    jenny curl wrote: »
    If you need to buy anything at GNC, they give you a free sample of a week's worth of Oxy Elite Pro and that stuff works.

    does this stuff make your heart race? i want to lose a few lbs but not incur any heart damage. what's the main ingredient that works? caffeine?

    That was my concern as well, and I was expecting to feel jittery and nauseous when I tried it (because all diet supplements do that to me), but not at all. It's all natural and although it contains some caffeine, it's not nearly enough to make your heart race or get the jitters. It's thermogenic. You can read about it on their website: OxyELITE Pro - The USP Labs Fat Burner That's MELTING the Market: $27

    ETA: It kick-started my diet and I lost a lot of water weight.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Trixie1979 wrote: »
    Now I might be wrong about this but what I've heard is that if you drink ice cold water you will burn more calories. It's not going to make you loose the 10lbs that you are looking to loose but this might help.....and if I am wrong someone please correct me.

    I think you can lose weight, but it takes about a year to lose somehwere in the 5 lbs range just by drinking ice water.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Atkins.. you can lose 10lbs in a week and a half.

    excellent. great point!!

    Atkins is good for quick weight loss if you follow the program to a T. When I was on it, I lost 4 lbs. in one week and I didn't even exercise. The first phase is difficult but once you get through it the results are amazing and you feel great! Good luck!

    That's how I lost the majority of my weight.. but I stayed in the first phase for about 3 months. lol Not healthy at all, but it got the job done. That was back in 2002 or so.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Atkins.. you can lose 10lbs in a week and a half.

    excellent. great point!!

    Atkins is good for quick weight loss if you follow the program to a T. When I was on it, I lost 4 lbs. in one week and I didn't even exercise. The first phase is difficult but once you get through it the results are amazing and you feel great! Good luck!

    I just finished the Atkins induction phase, and when I did my weekly weigh-in the day before yesterday, I had lost almost 9lbs in 13 days, also with no exercise other than what I get during a normal day. I also feel great! :)
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    oh girls you have got me excited. i'm going to google the atkins induction phase so i can have all the specifics. THANKS girls!

    damn...red wine isn't on the induction phase ;)
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Yeah, this was over 10 years ago when losing weight was easier..... I stuck with the program and ended up losing a total of 30 pounds of stubborn baby weight in 4 or 5 months time. The induction phase spurs a quick weight loss that tapers off when you enter the next phases. Besides the weight loss, I just felt great.

    And you're right, alcohol is not in the induction phase - sorry, luvmylocs!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    When I put on a few pounds I do the fat flush diet. She has added a shake down diet to her plan. I plan to start that this weekend. You can google it and get the info. G/L
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks in Dec.

    1. low carb
    2. limit sugar
    3. eat carbs (fruit) before 2pm
    4. lots of protein and veggies
    5. good oil every day, I use walnut oil on my salads
    6. plus I had a glass of red wine night every night

    Total loss for me in 8 weeks 19 pounds!! Yeah..... only 10 more to go!
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users
    Yeah I agree with the ditching carbs to drop some pounds fast. Atkins-- or even the Phase One of the South Beach diet is good, too.

    There are also a couple of "old school" diets that work pretty well. One is Stillmans Quick Weight loss and the other is the Scarsdale Diet. Scarsdale is probably the "healthier" of the two. Just google it and you can find the 2 week plan online. It's lower-carb, low-calorie. But lots of fruits and veggies too.

    This is actually a good topic-- I'm going to Nashville in mid-April and am hoping to drop 8-10 pounds by then also!
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    Speaking of weight loss, I watched a very interesting documentary last week called Fat Head. It was about an hour and 45 mins. It shocked me quite a bit. It's available on Netflix instant watch, which is nice. Here's a link to the trailer:
    Fat Head trailer
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users
    JLeighs wrote: »
    Speaking of weight loss, I watched a very interesting documentary last week called Fat Head. It was about an hour and 45 mins. It shocked me quite a bit. It's available on Netflix instant watch, which is nice. Here's a link to the trailer:
    Fat Head trailer

    Oh yeah- I've seen that. It's informative and funny!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    Wiregirl wrote: »
    plus I had a glass of red wine night every night

    ;) sweet!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't see the documentary, but I read the trailer. I'm not surprised. I think there is a tremendous promotion behind statin drugs, as there is a tremendous promotion behind osteoporosis, ostopenia drugs and estrogen compounds for pms, pmdd, and menopause. Buyer beware! There's a lot of conflicting data out there which the public generally doesn't see.

    Don't rush in and take medicine - be cautious. I was treated with radiation for adenoids which was cutting edge and accepted when I was a kid, and I developed brain tumors almost 60 years later that are very rare and only show up if you've had that kind of radiation.

    Sorry for guano - but I have a healthy mistrust of meds at this point. For weight loss, just try the old trick of eating less (but enjoy what you eat) and exersizing more. Hard to do but not harmful and pretty successful usually. Also, maybe increase calcium intake. That has been shown to help lose weight. Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    That documentary looks an awful lot like the book I'm reading: In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    CP, I was talking to my mom last night and she brought up her medications that she is taking. I started questioning her about them and she knew nothing about what she was taking, but was spending money on them. She didn't even know the side affects, except that she has diarrhea all the time. She said she wanted to go off of all them and see if it makes a difference. They are for her arthritis and osteoporosis. She's actually taking 2 for her arthritis. (I googled the medication). I asked her if she felt they were helping her and she said no. She didn't notice a difference. She felt the same as before she started on them.
    From Michael Berg:

    Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lotsa, I'm no doctor so of course, please don't take anything I say as gospel LOL. I have a somewhat jaundiced view of medicine because of my experiences. Anyway, I hope your mom starts to feel better!

    Does she exercise and drink milk or eat dairy (for the calcium and vit. D?)

    Hope you are doing well.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    CP, I was talking to my mom last night and she brought up her medications that she is taking. I started questioning her about them and she knew nothing about what she was taking, but was spending money on them. She didn't even know the side affects, except that she has diarrhea all the time. She said she wanted to go off of all them and see if it makes a difference. They are for her arthritis and osteoporosis. She's actually taking 2 for her arthritis. (I googled the medication). I asked her if she felt they were helping her and she said no. She didn't notice a difference. She felt the same as before she started on them.

    Your mother should probably talk to her doctor before stopping her medications. Maybe the doctor isn't even aware of your moms side effects or that they are not working for her.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    sdc wrote: »
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    CP, I was talking to my mom last night and she brought up her medications that she is taking. I started questioning her about them and she knew nothing about what she was taking, but was spending money on them. She didn't even know the side affects, except that she has diarrhea all the time. She said she wanted to go off of all them and see if it makes a difference. They are for her arthritis and osteoporosis. She's actually taking 2 for her arthritis. (I googled the medication). I asked her if she felt they were helping her and she said no. She didn't notice a difference. She felt the same as before she started on them.

    Your mother should probably talk to her doctor before stopping her medications. Maybe the doctor isn't even aware of your moms side effects or that they are not working for her.

    Agree with this. She might be able to switch to a similar medication that she could tolerate better. And there are some meds that need to be tapered instead of stopped abruptly.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    JLeighs wrote: »
    Speaking of weight loss, I watched a very interesting documentary last week called Fat Head. It was about an hour and 45 mins. It shocked me quite a bit. It's available on Netflix instant watch, which is nice. Here's a link to the trailer:
    Fat Head trailer

    i just added it to my queue. thanks!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    S~ Just wanted to add my support, even tho I have always thought that you look fabu.
    Of course, for me, I'm too old to care.... :laughing8:
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    S~ Just wanted to add my support, even tho I have always thought that you look fabu.
    Of course, for me, I'm too old to care.... :laughing8:

    thanks girl! i don't think i'll ever be too old to care ;)

    today was my first day, pretty easy breezy. i went to the grocery store and picked up orange roughy, tilapia, canned tuna and boneless chicken breast. i also loaded up on veggies and olives and some cheddar cheese. tonight i'm having stuffed portabello mushrooms. for lunch i had a chef salad with turkey and ranch dressing.

    tomorrow we're doing mexican food for my brothers birthday. i'm thinking proactively. i'll either do fajitas minus the tortillas or a salad with shrimp or chicken. i know chips are off limits so i'll have to be strong. in the morning i'm having a breakfast business meeting. we're meeting at a place where i can have an omelette....yum!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users
    How's it going LML??

    I intended to start low-carbing today but somehow ended up eating oatmeal for breakfast. Ugh. Oh well, better than a pastry!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    LAwoman wrote: »
    How's it going LML??

    I intended to start low-carbing today but somehow ended up eating oatmeal for breakfast. Ugh. Oh well, better than a pastry!

    hey lawoman! actually not as hard as i thought. there are a LOT of things i can eat. don't even focus on what i can't. i did good, not a single tortilla chip when my family went for mexican food saturday. i made deviled eggs last night and had salad and orange roughy. all tasty.

    going to get my lunch of chicken, green beans and a salad.

    i'd already bought some greek yogurts before i started so i'm going to spread those out and eat them before i leave but i think this will be something i can definitely do for the next 2 weeks! i didn't want to weigh too soon in case i haven't lost. i'll probably weigh at the end of the week. i feel good though.

    i'm finding pre-planning is the key! what are you planning to eat today? don't worry so much about the oatmeal.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
«1345678