Robert Craig didn't work

NikoTroiNikoTroi Posts: 76Registered Users
I got the color based on all the wonderful reviews here. I was so excited to not only color but cover my gray's and it wouldn't be harsh like the OTC types you get at Target, etc.

I did it this morning and although it's still wet, I can already tell my hair is not lighter and it didn't cover the gray's at all :sad9: I can move my hair around and see the gray's just sitting there like they weren't even touched :sad9: I really am upset about this, that was my main reason for coloring.

I'm going to call them later to see what they say. I'm just waiting for my hair to dry to see if it even comes close to the color I wanted.

ETA: I followed the directions on the box and left it on for a full 45 minutes, what they said to cover the gray and nothing.
~~Lorraine, mom to Nikolas 8/30/04, Troi 5/20/06 and 3 angel babies

It is hard to say good-bye when you never had the chance to say hello

Comments

• NikoTroiNikoTroi Posts: 76Registered Users
    My hair is completely dry and it didn't lighten at all :sad9: I just called and left a message for them to call me back. I really hope they honor their guarantee otherwise I'm out $30, I needed 2 bottles.

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You were trying to go lighter? :confused: RC Color will not lighten. It is a deposit-only color. They state that on the site and box.

If you chose a lighter shade to cover grays, it may have been too light. I use a color about 2-3 shades lighter than my natural color, it does not lighten my hair but turns my grays into slightly lighter highlights.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but it sounds like something wasn't right. LMK and maybe I can help. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    They just called and will refund the $24 purchase price. Doing this has actually made my hair darker so she recommended color corrector from Sally's. I'm going to pick that up and see what it does.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a product that will lighten and not dry my hair out?

CurliLocks wrote: »
    You were trying to go lighter? :confused: RC Color will not lighten. It is a deposit-only color. They state that on the site and box.

If you chose a lighter shade to cover grays, it may have been too light. I use a color about 2-3 shades lighter than my natural color, it does not lighten my hair but turns my grays into slightly lighter highlights.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but it sounds like something wasn't right. LMK and maybe I can help. :)

It didn't even color the gray, they were out there big time. Plus it took away my natural highlights that I have from the sun here. It is darker :(

I did think it was going to at least lighten it a little, i.e. make it seem more lighter as in highlights maybe. Even if it didn't do that, it didn't cover the gray and to make it look darker, that was weird.

Any suggestions? I'd like to go a little lighter in color.

I would recommend using the ColorFix from Sally's. Use the parts 1 and 2, you don't need part 3 (that's peroxide and will dry out your hair). Just check it often as it lightens quickly. You can even mix it with shampoo (see instructions for gently lightening). Do a DT afterward. Your hair should be ok.

What is your natural haircolor? What RC Color did you use? What color (swatch) would you like it to be? LMK and I'll see if I can help you find something.

If you need to lift your hair a few shades, you will need a different brand. But you will still need to choose a color 2-3 shades lighter, as your hair will be porous from the ColorFix and grab dark. I just corrected my cousin's hair that went too dark, lifted the color, recolored. But it still went a little too dark (5-10 min!) so we did the gentle lift again for a few minutes to bring it back up lighter. Although her hair is brown, we'll probably have to use a warm blonde in the future as the haircolors all go too dark. :(
    Thank you so much CurliLocks 8)

I got Ion Color Corrector from Sally's but can return it. She also said I needed 10 volume developer, which I got, but can also be returned. She made me a little nervous and told me if I didn't watch my hair, it would turn orange :eek:

If I don't put any product in my hair it looks dark blonde, but also gets SUPER frizzy. With product it looks like brown and you can see the gray. I got the RC Golden Beige Blonde hoping it would make my hair look that color with product in it. Does that make sense :neutral:

So basically I'm looking for something to make my hair look it's natural color when I put product in it. I don't mind waiting to try to recolor my hair, just want something that won't dry it out.

ETA: What DT do you recommend? I know I'm going to need something really good to save my hair from all this mess now :sad:

• jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I glanced at the Robert Craig website. I would like to dye my hair a rich dark chocolate brown, but I'm afraid to touch hair dye to my hair :( My natural color is a medium brown. The rich dark chocolate brown looks very pretty on me, but my hair is fine and porous and will break off easily at the ends if it's mistreated. I'm unsure of what to do.....
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
    jenny curl wrote: »
    I glanced at the Robert Craig website. I would like to dye my hair a rich dark chocolate brown, but I'm afraid to touch hair dye to my hair :( My natural color is a medium brown. The rich dark chocolate brown looks very pretty on me, but my hair is fine and porous and will break off easily at the ends if it's mistreated. I'm unsure of what to do.....

I learned the hard way it doesn't color you hair. It's supposed to enhance it but didn't even do that for mine. It may work for you though!

I haven't used the Sally's one so I can't help with that. If you exchange for the ColorFix, you still have to watch that you don't get orange/red hair. :)

So which RC swatch looks like your natural color without product? Do you have warm or cool undertones in your hair? If you want your hair to look like Golden Beige Blonde, you will actually need a lighter color. Then you can also leave it on longer to soak into those grays. Maybe even using heat.

The DT I use is Jessicurl's Weekly DT. But you could pick up one at Sally's if you can't wait, I think the KMS one is good.
    NikoTroi wrote: »
    Thank you so much CurliLocks 8)

I got Ion Color Corrector from Sally's but can return it. She also said I needed 10 volume developer, which I got, but can also be returned. She made me a little nervous and told me if I didn't watch my hair, it would turn orange :eek:

If I don't put any product in my hair it looks dark blonde, but also gets SUPER frizzy. With product it looks like brown and you can see the gray. I got the RC Golden Beige Blonde hoping it would make my hair look that color with product in it. Does that make sense :neutral:

So basically I'm looking for something to make my hair look it's natural color when I put product in it. I don't mind waiting to try to recolor my hair, just want something that won't dry it out.

ETA: What DT do you recommend? I know I'm going to need something really good to save my hair from all this mess now :sad:
    Which swatch matches your natural color? Are you covering any gray or just want a change of color? :)

RC's color is very gentle as it is a deposit-only color, no lifting or damage.
    jenny curl wrote: »
    Without product in my hair, based on RC color swatches, it's mostly Golden Blonde, with the highlights of Light Golden Blonde but underneath that doesn't see that much sun is between a golden chestnut and golden brown. I'd love to be between a Golden Blonde & Light Golden Blonde.

The RC didn't even effect the gray. It's like it wasn't even on it :sad: Is there something out there that will color it and not destroy it? Or should I bite the bullet and pay to have it done professionally?

On a side note, my gray happens to the be kinkiest hair on my head, so it sticks up :wave: drawing even more attention to itself lol

I just finished with the color fix and I can already see my highlights shining back through. However I won't know how the rest came out until tomorrow. Once it dries completely, I'll take a pix.

Yes, you will have to use a different brand to lighten. You could try Natural Instincts, it's got peroxide but not ammonia. But I don't think it lifts that much. My other cousin uses something by L'oreal but it has ammonia and I don't recommend that. Then again, you may need it to lift the color that much, but I don't think so.

I'm glad the ColorFix lifted the color, hopefully to a nice shade you can live with until you find another brand. Can't wait for the pix! :)
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I used RC a couple of times, and it was VERY gentle on my hair. The color also came out well, but the problem was it did not color my gray hairs. If they did end up with a smidge of color, it washed out within 3-4 days. I tried other boxed colors, but they were always too harsh.

Now I just have it done professionally, and my stylist uses Davines Mask demi-permanent (it's labeled as a semi per FDA rules, but it works like a demi. The only reason I know this is my stylist explained it to me lol). Anyway, it doesn't affect my hair negatively in the slightest, and it lasts on my grays for a long time --I probably notice pure gray hairs again about 7 weeks after coloring.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    5533623990_db7caa29c2_m.jpg
    This is my color dry without product.

5533624822_f72428b465_m.jpg
    It's always straight in the front :neutral:

5533625856_9f203f3380_m.jpg
    This is right out of the shower.

5533044205_e4700495bc_m.jpg
    And this is completely dry.

On a side note, I can't actually believe how well my curl held up today. However, if I get a close up, you can see the frizz halo.

I'd like for it to be my natural color without product.

I wanted to add that this was me 2 weeks ago:
    5533661244_dc096d68a2_m.jpg

This went to Locks of Love
    5533661248_3c98f9085b_m.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji