hair disposal

luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
call me superstitious but i've always flushed my hair in the toilet after detangling. well after just spending $60 to have a plumber pull a HUGE hunk of hair out of my toilet that hasn't flushed right in over a month i think i need to consider putting in the trash. that just seems wrong...

i think what happened this time was just too much disposed at once and everything i did to try to solve the problem just made the hair gooey and clumpy and it wouldn't flush through.

how do you girls dispose of your shed hairs? i know i'm not the only one that heard you should flush not throw away your hair. urgh, maybe time to change practices.
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• ida2ida2 Registered Users Posts: 140
    The trash can.
  • FronomenalFronomenal Registered Users Posts: 712 Curl Neophyte
    ida2 wrote: »
    The trash can.
    ^^This. I've never heard of any superstitions regardng the disposal of hair...

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    Ugh.. loose shed hair is my eternal nemesis! I never flush hair down the toilet for the reasons you described. Hair doesn't decompose like paper and um, 'the other stuff' does.

I throw my hair out in the garbage.. if someone wants to pick my garbage so they can voodoo me with my shed hairs, feel free. But they'll have do get past the doggie doo & other nasty things in there first. :mrgreen:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    thanks ladies. i think i have my answer ;)
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    LOL yes, ITA with BekkaPoo! My sink is already forever getting clogged from my clay mixes, so I def throw my hair in the trash. If some voodoo queen wants to get me and touch my dog's poop, pee pads, crusty clay water, old beer, etc to get to my hair (which I usually soak and ball up before I throw away anyway), I guess she REALLY wanted my mojo.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    ^^^LOL!!!!

Trash can for me too.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    lmao @elle and i agree
    i didn't even know people followed a superstition on throwing away hair:tongue4:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hey, don't forget your fingernail clippings.. you can get hoodoo-ed* with those too.

* Just throw some garlic over your left shoulder under the full moon, and turn around three times counterclockwise while chanting Abracadabra-shazaam and you'll be okay.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    damn! where they do that at:homework:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Hey, don't forget your fingernail clippings.. you can get hoodoo-ed* with those too.

* Just throw some garlic over your left shoulder under the full moon, and turn around three times counterclockwise while chanting Abracadabra-shazaam and you'll be okay.

i flush those too. it's not about hoodooing (i don't think). i think i thought flushing helps it grow back throwing away means no more growing back. hello, i know i'm crazy, lol...
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    luvmylocs wrote: »

i flush those too. it's not about hoodooing (i don't think). i think i thought flushing helps it grow back throwing away means no more growing back. hello, i know i'm crazy, lol...
    haha luvmylocs....
    unless the hair will find it's way back to you via your drinking water, as seeds for new growth on your head...
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    call me superstitious but i've always flushed my hair in the toilet after detangling.
    seriously?

...what everyone else said
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    coilynapp wrote: »

haha luvmylocs....
    unless the hair will find it's way back to you via your drinking water, as seeds for new growth on your head...
    iDIE!!!! hahahahahahahaha

Honestly though I've never heard that and I still have hair...sometimes I get nervous when my friends and I split poles though...
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Registered Users Posts: 230
    I actually started flushing my shed hair when I started living with roommates. It was never per anyones request, I just started doing it one day. I never thought about it getting stuck in the pipes O_o
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    sometimes i flush it and sometimes i throw it in the trash can, but neither is due to superstitious beliefs.

i remember the first time i had heard about the whole voodoo hair thing. i was working at my sister's salon and after a significant haircut a lady started looking nervous as her hair was being swept up off the floor. she asked what we were going to do with her hair and when i told her i was going to throw it in the trash can she damn near passed out. i think we settled on the option of either bagging it up so she could take it home or promising that none of us would use her hair for evil nor would we allow anyone else to.
  • kaybkayb Registered Users Posts: 5,054

This is a serious question, and I'm not trying to be rude or cause trouble: is your family from the Caribbean? I grew up hearing that I shouldn't through my hair away. Damned if I care now :dontknow:
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    I never heard of this either.

I was trying to figure out a environmentally responsible way to throw away my weave hair. It's synthetic and I just feel wrong about throwing it in the trash. Any tips are 'preciated :)
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    I'm not West Indian, but I have heard the superstition about throwing hair away before. Not that I believe it. For the record, I throw my hair away in the garbage.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/

haha luvmylocs....

..gack.. eating.. hair.. :sad7:
  • empressriempressri Registered Users Posts: 4,812

haha luvmylocs....

Honestly though I've never heard that and I still have hair...sometimes I get nervous when my friends and I split poles though...

omg i thought i was the only one!! if we split a pole i make them say "bread and butter" lmao!!!

my mother used to burn our shed hair. southern thing.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Registered Users Posts: 870
    I put my shed hair in the trash as well, but I am also aware of using hair in spiritual work. I had forgotten about it until reading this to be honest. Like elle said, someone would have to go through a WHOLE lot to get to my hair whether by drain or trash.... that's just nasty.
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• ida2ida2 Registered Users Posts: 140
    Fronomenal wrote: »
    ida2 wrote: »
    The trash can.
    ^^This. I've never heard of any superstitions regardng the disposal of hair...
    She asked how do you dispose of shed hair and my answer was the trash can, nothing superstitious about that.
  • KeishaKeisha Registered Users Posts: 14
    my grandmother would burn her shed hairs before throwing them away. she said she didnt want the birds to get it out the trash and make a nest with it. plus she didnt want anyone to use it to put voodoo on her. very superstitious.:blob6:
    empressri wrote: »
    haha luvmylocs....

omg i thought i was the only one!! if we split a pole i make them say "bread and butter" lmao!!!

LOL! Most of the time I stop and walk back around to their side and they look at me like I'm a nut...

I have many spell books that talk about using the hair of someone but let me put it like this...if you did something that made someone want to put a spell on you, you most likely effed up biiiiig time...so y'all should be good (I THINK).
    YouTube
  • Tuchie09Tuchie09 Registered Users Posts: 388
    kayb wrote: »

This is a serious question, and I'm not trying to be rude or cause trouble: is your family from the Caribbean? I grew up hearing that I shouldn't through my hair away. Damned if I care now :dontknow:

My padre's side of the family is from Trinidad. Apparently we're not supposed to cut a child's hair until they are at least a year or two old or else they won't talk for a year? Something along those lines lol. I remember my Aunt Tricia believed in this superstition but her husband, who is Jamaican, had his hair cut anyways but nothing bad happened I think, her son never stopped talking and he's 8 now lol. I kind of want to ask them about this hair thing though.
    Curly in Okinawa, Japan where only the toughest curls can stand up to this heat and humidity.

My Arsenal:
    Shampoo: Waiting on SM African Black soap shampoo to makes its way to me...
    Conditioner(s): CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, CJ Repair Me!
    Oil: Apricot Kernel Oil
    Stylers: CD Loc Butter for twists, CJAF, CJCQ (haven't figured out how to work this though...)
  • jenny curljenny curl Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    haha luvmylocs....

Totally OT, but I have to ask what the superstition is behind spliting poles (or spliting anything while walking, for that matter)....because one of my best friends always grabs me by the arm and forces me to say "bread and butter". I need to understand this!
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
    southern thing.

yes....

there are many rituals and customs related to hair, even in other cultures. like someone mentioned many people don't cut little boys hair until they are at least one year old and i know some indian people have a big ceremony around cutting their daughters hair off completely when she turns one.
    southern thing.

yes....

there are many rituals and customs related to hair, even in other cultures. like someone mentioned many people don't cut little boys hair until they are at least one year old and i know some indian people have a big ceremony around cutting their daughters hair off completely when she turns one.

I read a long time ago about a certain tribe in Africa (I wanna say west Africa, but I don't know which region exactly so don't quote me) where there was a very high ranking member of the royal court or possibly a shaman whose *sole* job function was to eat the hair and nail clippings of the king of that tribe.

I'm all for customs and interesting traditions but I would NOT want that job no matter how good the benefits might be.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    haha luvmylocs....

I was just going to say we must be weird because my nana burned our hair when she did it, but shes old and Dominican so i dunno
    jenny curl wrote: »

Totally OT, but I have to ask what the superstition is behind spliting poles (or spliting anything while walking, for that matter)....because one of my best friends always grabs me by the arm and forces me to say "bread and butter". I need to understand this!

It's just supposed to be bad luck. I got it from my grandmother so I guess that's why I do it...it's silly but I mean uhhh better safe than sorry? lol
    YouTube

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file