Do you Low Porosity Girls like deep conditioning?

blackcat10071blackcat10071 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've heard a lot of people saying that they love to DC about once a week. But I also noticed that a lot of recipes for DC's contain a lot of protein. Isn't protein bad for low porosity hair? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm new to knowing that I'm low porosity, and don't know much about it.
Also, do DC's help moisturize hair?

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm LP and I have to say my hair likes protein but only certain types of protein. Coconut milk and yogurt treatments are a no-no for me, but mayo works well. That said I HAVE to follow with a moisturizing DC
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • lisasandlisasand Posts: 71Registered Users
    I think it's people with low porosity and fine hair that can do protein treatments. I have low porosity hair but medium texture and my hair doesn't like protein. I had my hair analysis done with livecurlylivefree, which recommended that for my hair texture I do deep treatments and not protein treatments. I used Curl Junkie rehab with a heating cap.
    Hair analysis results - medium texture, low porosity and normal elasticity.
    Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50
    Co-wash: Suave naturals waterfall mist or wildcherry blossom
    Gel: Loving flax seed gel!
    Henna - yemeni henna and indigo from hennasooq
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fine, low porosity hair often LOVES protein. It gives fine hair a boost, it adds shine and elasticity (hair's ability to hold a curl).
    On the other hand, my fine, low porosity hair cannot tolerate deep conditioning treatments other than a pre-shampoo oil treatment.
    Emollients, especially those which bond to the hair have a powerful softening effect. Protein gives it support. So you have to walk the line between softness and protein (most people say moisture vs. protein).
    Protein helps hold moisture on/near the hair, like a humectant, and hydrolyzed proteins bond to hair rather than rinsing away.

If I use too much conditioner, I get overly soft hair which is flyaway and doesn't want to curl as much. Thus DTs are not necessary.

But my hair is pretty healthy now. Hair that feels rough might need more emollients (conditioner) for softness and detangling. If you do a strong protein treatment, your hair might feel rough and need a bit of conditioner to detangle. But otherwise, low porosity hair doesn't have that open cuticle which encourages loss of water, protein and breaks up the natural oils that should coat the hair shaft (although curls break that up too) so it doesn't need as much stuff added to it.

If you have low porosity hair and you're putting on eggs or yogurt for protein, generally those protein molecules are thought to be too large to do much good as a PT, but you'll get conditioning from these ingredients.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's actually fine and porous hair that usually need protein. My fine, low porosity hair never met a protein it didn't like. I do at least one PT a week. I never do a DT--my hair doesn't seem to need it. Don't know if it's because it doesn't need it, or that I use really rich products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    As a curlie with coarse hair and LP, I only use a protein treatment maybe once a month, I mostly concentrate on DC's without protein. If I can remember to do a PT once a month I'll usually use a shot of mayo in it because using something with a ton of protein would be a recipe for disaster.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's a difference btwn a deep treatment and a protein treatment. One refers to doing a straight up moisture treatment, and the other is a protein bolus. You have to check your conditioner's ingredients to see whether its moisture or protein dominant. That being said, deep conditioning is essential to all curl porosities but in particular I feel to low porosity girls b/c we struggle so much to get our shafts to open up to receive moisture (or anything else). We are naturally sealed--which is the main issue.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • blackcat10071blackcat10071 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As a curlie with coarse hair and LP, I only use a protein treatment maybe once a month, I mostly concentrate on DC's without protein. If I can remember to do a PT once a month I'll usually use a shot of mayo in it because using something with a ton of protein would be a recipe for disaster.

I too have coarse hair and LP. What kind of DC's do you use? Do you have any homemaid recipes? Thanks for the help. :)Thanks for the help, everyone. You've really helped me alot. :)

I too have coarse hair and LP. What kind of DC's do you use? Do you have any homemaid recipes? Thanks for the help. :)Thanks for the help, everyone. You've really helped me alot. :)

My usual DC is what I call a doctored up cheapie conditioner. LOL

Which usually consists of:

Tresemme Naturals
    Honey
    EVOO

Works for me pretty well.
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • blackcat10071blackcat10071 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Tresemme Naturals
    Honey
    EVOO

Lol! I like that name. :)I actually have all of those ingrediants! (except for the Tresemme.. I'll have to use my Vo5 conditioner)How much of what do you use? How often do you DC?How long do you leave it on?Thanks for the help! :D

Tresemme Naturals
    Honey
    EVOO

Lol! I like that name. :)I actually have all of those ingrediants! (except for the Tresemme.. I'll have to use my Vo5 conditioner)How much of what do you use? How often do you DC?How long do you leave it on?Thanks for the help! :D

Hm, well I use like a 5 second squirt of honey (I don't use spoons or measurements, just go by sight). Two maybe three capfulls of EVOO and then like 3 long squirts of Tresemme Naturals. LOL .

I leave it on for how ever long I feel like. Sometimes an hour or sometimes if I'm really lazy over night. I DC pretty much every two weeks.

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Fine, low porosity hair often LOVES protein. It gives fine hair a boost, it adds shine and elasticity (hair's ability to hold a curl).
    On the other hand, my fine, low porosity hair cannot tolerate deep conditioning treatments other than a pre-shampoo oil treatment.
    Emollients, especially those which bond to the hair have a powerful softening effect. Protein gives it support. So you have to walk the line between softness and protein (most people say moisture vs. protein).
    Protein helps hold moisture on/near the hair, like a humectant, and hydrolyzed proteins bond to hair rather than rinsing away.

If I use too much conditioner, I get overly soft hair which is flyaway and doesn't want to curl as much. Thus DTs are not necessary.

But my hair is pretty healthy now. Hair that feels rough might need more emollients (conditioner) for softness and detangling. If you do a strong protein treatment, your hair might feel rough and need a bit of conditioner to detangle. But otherwise, low porosity hair doesn't have that open cuticle which encourages loss of water, protein and breaks up the natural oils that should coat the hair shaft (although curls break that up too) so it doesn't need as much stuff added to it.

If you have low porosity hair and you're putting on eggs or yogurt for protein, generally those protein molecules are thought to be too large to do much good as a PT, but you'll get conditioning from these ingredients.

I absolutely could not have said this better myself.
    I get soft, shapeless flyaway curls from moisturizers too. Proteins are my ally. Does our particular (fine, low porous) hair still need a decent amount of moisture though? I say this because I straightened my chest-length hair yesterday (I do this maybe 5 times a year), and I noticed that the hair from my ear-length to the ends is very dull and dry/processed looking even though my hair is not colored. I can't provide any solid reasons for it looking this way other than:
    1. Then ends are old and need to be cut?
    2. Maybe the ends of my hair are rubbing against chairs, making them weak and unhealthy?
    3. I need to add more moisture in my diet?

I've been unable to figure out why I have the hair texture of an 90-year old for years now. :(
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • FireFlowerFireFlower Posts: 137Registered Users
    IAgirl wrote: »

Wow... ok... so does this mean I should be doing more protein treatments as opposed to deep conditioning treatments and then follow up with some kind of conditioner for moisture? My hair is fine, thin, dense, and very low porosity.

Should the protein treatments be light because of the fineness of the hair?

What are some suggested protein treatments?
    Classic 4a/b, fine, dense, normal to dry, low porosity
    event.png
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    bump
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep! A good long soak in a moisturing mix with heat (from my covered head, occasionally from a blowdryer) is what my hair needs to accept its maximum moisture. I am LP and coarse though, unlike many of the posters about who are LP and fine.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    I'm LP and fine and my hair Requires deep moisture conditioning, protein conditioning and both with heat to really get the maximum benefits. I also like to mix the moisture with the protein to do a "2 for the price of one". It works well with keeping me balanced.
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
    I'm low porosity and protein sensitive, so I add less than a teaspoon silk amino acids to my prepoo weekly. I don't leave it on for more than 30 min and I use bentonite clay after. This works for my little shot of protein. I am actually on the hunt for a deep conditioner. I've been using GVP Cond balm, but I want something that works in a little deeper and has a little slip to it.
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file