help please! bleaching 4a virgin hair?

Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Registered Users Posts: 230
hi! ♥

so i've been wanting to dye my hair for the longest. at first i just wanted a deep red so i used henna, but since my hair is very very dark it had no effect, really. just burgundy in the sun. :crybaby:

i threw the idea of bleaching my hair away because i was worried about damage, blah blah. but after doing LOTS of research, i decided i want to bleach the front part of my hair then follow with another colour, then dye the rest (probably with a henndigo treatment) black. i got my idea from blackonyx's video here: YouTube - RED and BLACK Natural Hair Coloring- Tutorial

however, as you can imagine, most bleaching articles and reviews pertain to.. non-afro textured hair, i suppose. so i just wanted to ask those with afro-textured hair who have bleached a few questions.

does anyone have any highlighting/bleaching kits they recommend? did your curl pattern loosen? if so, was it dramatic or just slight (as with a henna/clay treatment)? i really don't want to go from a 4a to a 2c or anything because it'll look weird, especially since it won't be my whole head that i'll be bleaching.

i'll probably bleach over this next week (wooo spring break! :toothy4:) if i decide to, but not before prepping my hair with protein and stocking up on moisturizing DCs to drown my hair in.

thanks in advance~! ♥
4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
currently texlaxed!
APL stretched, ear length curly.
Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)

Comments

• KnottyKnotty Registered Users Posts: 164
    I used Revlon Frost and Glow to lighten my ends. I wouldn't recommend that for bleaching because it doesn't get very light. Last week I used Clairol Born Blonde Maxi to bleach a section of my hair. My hair didn't get as white as the box shows. I'd probably have to do it twice. I am satisfied with the results that I got. I haven't washed my hair yet, so I'm not sure if the curl pattern changed much. I bleached the frizziest/least defined part of my hair and right after it seemed more clumped if that makes sense. I also DIY BKT my hair though so my texture is already less 4a and more 3c.
    3c/4a
    event.png
  • RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Registered Users Posts: 40
    I don't have 4a hair but I hear henna bonds to the hair PERMANENTLY. Meaning if you bleach it, expect orange. Henna is not like a chemical color you can fully strip out. Color strippers aren't as damaging as bleach. But to lighten the henna up to blond would probably fry your hair. I've been reading up on henna on the Long Hair Community forum. Granted I don't see many members with 4a hair. I'd expect 4a to be even more delicate than their hair types and some say they fried theirs and had to cut it trying to get henna out. You should check out their forum as there is a large section devoted to henna and I even saw a thread about people trying to remove it. People who have not used henna usually don't understand how different it is from chemical dyes.
    Pre-shampoo- Vatika Coconut Hair Oil
    Deep Conditioner- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Conditioner AOHR
    Frizz Control- Aphogee Moisturizing Oil Sheen
    Protein Treatment- Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
    Hair type 2c
    Goal long, bright red, soft hair!
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Registered Users Posts: 1,017 Curl Neophyte
    I don't have 4a hair but I hear henna bonds to the hair PERMANENTLY. Meaning if you bleach it, expect orange. Henna is not like a chemical color you can fully strip out. Color strippers aren't as damaging as bleach. But to lighten the henna up to blond would probably fry your hair. I've been reading up on henna on the Long Hair Community forum. Granted I don't see many members with 4a hair. I'd expect 4a to be even more delicate than their hair types and some say they fried theirs and had to cut it trying to get henna out. You should check out their forum as there is a large section devoted to henna and I even saw a thread about people trying to remove it. People who have not used henna usually don't understand how different it is from chemical dyes.

yup! I have 3c/4a hair and when I had henna on my hair I tried to get blonde highlights with bleach. the henna stops it from turning that light. my hair turned a bright orange. 2 years later i tried to again only to get bright yellow hair where my new growth was and stop sign red where the henna still was. I will say the the highlights that came out orange, once toner was put on it, it was a pretty color but DEF not anywhere near blonde. it was a reddish orangish color. i have pictures on my computer i can upload if you want to see pictures of it. curly and flat ironed out. I recently cut all my hair off and that was what i was super excited for was to have the henna out! it limits you with options if you like to color.

heres my hair with bleach blonde highlights over top of henna i looke din my old post :) i did a whole thread on it lol http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/75570-i-highlighted-my-hair-pics.html
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file